What's new

2003 Emmy Awards ..Who's Watching? (1 Viewer)

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I have to vent about the most incompetent FOX channel that we have here in East Central Illinois. As the Emmy show went to commercial before the last two awards, our local Fox channel started showing Stargate. fortunately, they switched back to the Emmys before announcing the Drama Series. Right before announcing the entries for Best Comedy series these amateurs at our local Fox station broke into a commercial. They switched back just as the producer for Everybody Loves Raymond was giving his acceptance speech. I hope a real network will be carrying next year's Emmy show.

Kevin Farley

Second Unit
When Bill Cosby said "We speak english" was he talking about Larry David and Curb Your Enthusiasm, or was he attacking Wanda?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Cosby was definitely perturbed by Wanda, he's not into any sort of perpetuation of ebonical speech.

Owen S

Stunt Coordinator

Tino,notwithstanding your signature,which I had to Ask Jeeves to translate,It's "c'est la vie".I wouldn't have corrected except that you seem to like the saying as do I and would want to get it right.:)

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
I still can't see why NYPD Blues wasn't nominated for anything this last season. The ratings of the show are usually high and the performances and writing are excellent.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Cosby was definitely perturbed by Wanda, he's not into any sort of perpetuation of ebonical speech.
I think it's interesting that a lifetime achievement award-winning comedian like Bill Cosby and Larry David, a man described by an award winner as "one of the greatest comedic minds," displayed no sense of humor under the good natured ribbing of Wanda Sykes. Personally my opinion of both these men went down a couple notches.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
They forgot Matt Jeffries in the "In Memorium" segment. Matt Jeffries, who died just a month or two ago, was art director on the original Star Trek series and designed the Starship Enterprise.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
They forgot Matt Jeffries in the "In Memorium" segment. Matt Jeffries, who died just a month or two ago, was art director on the original Star Trek series and designed the Starship Enterprise.
"The Jeffries Tube" was named after him.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I thought Wanda Sykes was funny as hell. Sadly, her show isn't as funny as she was during her segments.

Overall, the show was funny, but I'm disappointed that Conan didn't do more. I'd like to see him full-on host again.

Jay W.

Stunt Coordinator
24 and 6 Feet Under shut out. Are the emmy voters morons?
Kiefer got shafted. Gandofini has won ENOUGH. So has that pile of crap the west wing.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I think it's interesting that a lifetime achievement award-winning comedian like Bill Cosby ... displayed no sense of humor under the good natured ribbing of Wanda Sykes. Personally my opinion of [him] went down a couple notches.
Hey, he must be in or near his sixties by now. He's got the right to be a cranky old man at times.

I can see where he might have issues with Wanda Sykes' brand of humor, though - he's worked his whole life to promote education and he really seems to cringe at anything that enforces the stereotype that to sound "black" is to sound ignorant. I'd give him points for sticking to his principles.

Not that I saw any of the ceremony, of course.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's interesting that a lifetime achievement award-winning comedian like Bill Cosby and Larry David, a man described by an award winner as "one of the greatest comedic minds," displayed no sense of humor under the good natured ribbing of Wanda Sykes. Personally my opinion of both these men went down a couple notches.
Actually my admiration for Cosby jumped after his "We spoke English" comment followed by his on stage tribute to Fred Rogers.

Few entertainers have done as much to promote education as Cosby. In fact I had the pleasure of hearing deliver a powerful commencement speech awhile back.

For the most part his various TV shows have been all about class, not the "reality" crap that shows up on tv nowadays. I'm reminded of his guest host appearance on "Letterman" recently when he absolutely destroyed the guest who was on some bachelor chasing girls style reality show.

I have no quarrel with Wanda Sykes; she can be quite funny. However she misidentified the award Cosby was to receive (saying "Lifetime Achievement" when it was a humanitarian award). The segment where she did the dancing was awful. It's no wonder she made no appearances after that one.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I thought that Crosby had a perfect comment.

And as far as Larry David goes, if his persona on Curb Yr Enthusiasm is even close to being accurate, why would anyone expect him to react other than he did?

Craig: Mclaren

Second Unit
Can someone post a full list of the winners? What the hell is Monk? I've heard it mentioned a few times on here but i'm clueless. It can't be that great otherwise the UK channels would be all over it. Well apart from ITV...

PS- Did Don Johnson and Edward Woodward ever get noimated/win an Emmy? I know they got a Golden Globe each. :emoji_thumbsup:

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Monk is indeed worthwhile. You can check out the site here. It's about an obsessive-compulsive detective who was discharged from the force and now works as a consultant for them. It's basically a murder mystery series with an extremely neurotic lead.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Actually my admiration for Cosby jumped after his "We spoke English" comment
I can't remember the exact words Sykes used, but I don't think she was decimating the English language or even using excessive slang. The only thing about what she was saying was HOW she was saying it, her attitude and "accent" if you will. Cosby's comment just seemed incredibly elitist and hypocritical, especially when he's done voices for Fat Albert (hello, Mush Mouth!). And in regards to his promotion of education, what exactly did Sykes say or do that would make her sound or look uneducated or ignorant? An inconsistent comedian perhaps but certainly not ignorant.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks