2003 Critics & Other Organizations Top 10 Lists

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Edwin Pereyra, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

As in prior years, this thread will keep track of the Top 10 lists from critics and other organizations. This post will be updated to include a running tally of the top 10 films with the most appearances.

First up is The National Board of Review scheduled to announce sometime this week.

~Edwin

2. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

National Board of Review's Top Ten Films of 2003

Mystic River (Best Film)
    The Last Samurai
    The Station Agent
    21 Grams
    House of Sand and Fog
    Lost in Translation
    Cold Mountain
    In America
    Seabiscuit
    Master and Commander: The Far Side of The World

3. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

wow. Return of the King isn't even on there. and neither is Big Fish.

And it looks like I might have to re-think my feeling towards Last Samurai. There is NOTHING about that movie that's making me want to watch it, but the word of mouth and critical response is ALREADY making me think that the advertising is just really doing this movie wrong. Not that that's ever happened before or anything [​IMG]

Good to see Seabiscuit on there.as well as Lost in Translation.

4. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Yup, ROTK's absence is the first thing I thougth about. That the previous installements are also absent leads me to think they never got a chance to screen them before casting their votes. Of course, they may just have (gasp!) hated them...

--
    H

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor

7. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

It is so very interesting not to see American Splendor, Kill Bill Volume 1 and Big Fish (which I haven't seen and getting early fantastic reviews) in their Top 10 list (NBoR's). Oh well, of course, the next well-known film organization will come up with an entirely (or mostly) different list of winners and 10 best list. I'm hoping to see them (plus LOTR:ROTK among in other film organizations' lists so I would be pumped up and would try to watch everybody's films in their Top 10. [​IMG]

I'm going to hold my comment as to my overall feelings of NBoR's Top 10 until I've seen In America, The Station Agent, 21 Grams, House of Sand and Fog and Cold Mountain (which all got or getting rave reviews). I am glad to see 3 of my very favorites so far this year making in their Top 10, The Last Samurai, Lost in Translation and Master and Commander: The Far Side of The World (okay, I would say now that I like their Top 10 and it looks pretty solid even without LOTR:ROTK, BF & KBV1).

I'm not really happy (and not surprised) with their selection of the Mystic River as their best film (am happy though that they chose Zwick for The Last Samurai as the Best Director) but I guess that's all right (and credible enough) since many very well known film critics think Mystic River is a great film. But if what Craig S (links please) is true re: Dave Poland's article last year about NBoR, I'm just guessing that they are trying to be ahead of everyone in proclaiming the "film masterpiece of 2003" as the best film of 2003.

At least they are consistent in not choosing any LOTR films as one of their Top 10 and I can understand why they chose the commercially acceptable (good but not a great film) Seabiscuit as replacement of LOTR:ROTK (which is getting the "best among the series" reviews).

The following was their Top 10 last year:

TOP TEN FILMS OF 2002

1. The Hours * Best Film
    2. Chicago
    3. Gangs of New York
    4. The Quiet American
    5. Adaptation
    6. Rabbit-Proof Fence
    7. The Pianist
    8. Far From Heaven
    9. Thirteen Conversations About One Thing
    10. Frida

It was a pretty solid Top 10 overall (though I disagree with their choice of Chicago, like MR, for many it was "a masterwork" and for the Academy it was the "Best Picture"). 4/5 went on to be nominated by the Oscars. Their best film did not win the Best Picture. The last time their best picture went on to win the Oscar's Best Picture was on 1999 (American Beauty).

8. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor

9. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

11. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    "Conservative" was perhaps the wrong word. "Unimaginative" I think is better.

12. Michael Reuben

I understand your point, but IMO the omission of Kill Bill from the list does not suggest a lack of imagination. There are a lot of people out there (including me) who just don't think it's a good film.

American Splendor is a tougher call. People who love it really love it. People who are put off by Pekar's curmudgeonly personality (and I realize that description doesn't do it justice) find it tiresome and a bit gimmicky -- so I can see how it would end up around number 12 or so in a voting process.

M.

13. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

The National Board has always been a very shifty group for me. Remember Ebert saying in all his life he never met anyone who was a member, or anyone who knew someone who was a member. I'm not sure I like that list too much, either. There's no way Seabiscuit is better than ROTK (or at least I friggin hope not).

14. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

Peter Traver's Top 10 via Oscarwatch.com

1. Mystic River
    2. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
    3. Lost in Translation
    4. Master and Commander
    5. Cold Mountain
    6. American Splendor
    7. Big Fish
    8. A Mighty Wind
    9. Kill Bill Volume One
    10. Angels in America

http://www.oscarwatch.com/ to see the list and the comments he made about the top 5.

I'm surprised to see A Mighty Wind on there. The top 6 I think will be on many critics top 10 lists. Maybe 9 and 10 as well.

15. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

It is so very interesting to see American Splendor, Kill Bill Volume 1 and Big Fish + LOTR:ROTK in Peter Traver's (who is not among in my short list of favorite famous film critics so I'm not that thrilled to see them in his list [​IMG]) Top 10 list.

I'm not that surprised seeing A Mighty Wind (IMHO, one of the most overrated films of 2003) in the list. But I guess, even more interesting (and a bold move in his part) is his inclusion of HBO's two-part six hour epic starring Meryl Streep and Al Pacino, Angels in America (a very imaginative choice?). I never heard of that film until now.

16. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

17. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

Great because our cable has HBO! I've been very busy watching films in theaters and DVDs. The premiere first 3 hours part of Angels in America is this coming Sunday at 8:00 P.M ET and the concluding second half (of the premiere showing) on December 14. Set your TIVOs, VCRs or whatever for those who will be going on vacation and won't be back until January.

18. Arman

Arman Screenwriter

"If you don't have HBO, get it quick"

"But don’t wait that long… see it on December 7th. I’m the last critic to award an “A+” to any film, in or out of the Cineplex, because I’m always waiting for that perfect, or near-perfect film, to surface. I couldn’t have guessed it would happen on HBO – but it’s too important an event to banter about its format. Sit. Watch. You won’t regret it, and you won’t forget it."

Read David Foucher's entire review of Angels in America =>

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/click/...=1&rid=1223632

19. Michael Reuben

20. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    THE MCN 100 may very well be one of the most interesting things to observe this awards season. Basically it's a constant work in progress, culled from 100 film journalists of some sort or the other on their top pics for the year. they also have the very interesting totals for "films I"ve not seen but should have" which would reflect on the top ten. YOu can find it MCN 100

Top Ten:
    1) Mystic River 16 votes
    2) Lost In Translation 15
    3) American Splendor 14
    4) Finding Nemo 10
    5) (tie) Master & Commander 9
    5) (tie) 21 Grams 9
    7) In America 6
    8) (tie) Big Fish 4
    9) (tie) Seabiscuit 4
    10) (tie) City of God 3
    10) (tie) Elephant 3