What's new

2003-2004 NFL Season (Playoffs and coaching moves) (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Answer me this: If QC were white, would he still be a Dallas Cowboy?
He would not. Given the same set of circumstances Bill Parcells and Jerry Jones would have cut him regardless of his skin color. It was a combination of his attitude, on-field performance and off-field problems that did him in.

The strong feeling here is that Parcells did not trust him either on or off the field. He was not, a Parcells guy. Vinnie Testaverde is.

But the actions of the Dallas Cowboys have nothing to do with my view of the ‘overly harsh criticism’ in the press and by the public.

Not a challenge Frank, as you can pick what you find credible, but the reason that I gave the credentials of Randy Galloway and Dale Hansen, is that these guys are not just a couple of Johnny-come-lately(s), but have been credibly covering Dallas sports and the Cowboys for a very long time.

Of course you may well dismiss their opinions, but for me at least they have some degree of credibility—in other words their opinions are informed.

As for the calls to local sports radio stations, a few have been bad enough that the hosts cut them off immediately.

On another topic, I absolutely hate pre-season football. I’ll admit that I’ll watch some of the Cowboys pre-season games to see how some of the newer players are developing. But otherwise I’ll give it a miss.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
On another topic, I absolutely hate pre-season football. I’ll admit that I’ll watch some of the Cowboys pre-season games to see how some of the newer players are developing. But otherwise I’ll give it a miss.
I treat the preseason similarly (replacing Lions with Cowboys, of course), but I needed a football fix last night after so many months, and it was in HD!

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
You'd think that a guy like Quincy as decent as he is(I'm stressing lots of sarcasm here) would take a low rent contract to get into ANY camp at this point. SO why hasn't he signed yet?

Anyway, that game last night was brutal. After about the early part of the 3rd quarter, I was flipping channels wondering what else was on. The penalties kept piling on. Still we got a good glimpse of what Joe Gibbs will do this year which is run the ball. Run the ball if their line can hold up..
Losing Jansen really hurts Washington. Gibbs has always been known for having quality offensive lines as the cornerstone of his offenses. Jansen was a very good tackle and will be difficult to replace
And their O-Line is terrible as it is. This doesn't help. Brunell is going to be on his backside alot.

NFL network starts their season coverage on the 13th of August for 2-3 weeks straight. Something like 56 games total of preseason.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Tim Brown signed with Tampa today. Considering the Bucs problems at receiver -- McCardell's contract issues and Jurevicius being hurt -- and Brown's familiarity with Gruden, this was not surprising. I do wonder whether Miami made any last minute calls to Brown, though, considering they just lost David Boston for the season. That's two possible replacements that the Dolphins missed out on -- Eddie George for the pot-head, and Brown for Boston.

Has there ever been a more obvious lame-duck coaching situation than Wannstadt in Miami? I do not see how he can hang onto his job after this season with the team the Dolphins will now field.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I heard a report on an incentive that the San Diego Chargers have offered Philip Rivers: they will give him a $5M bonus if he leads the Chargers to the Super Bowl in his first four seasons and makes the Pro Bowl in his first four years.

Considering that a combination of Johnny Unitas, Roger Starbauch and John Elway would not have been able to get the woeful Chargers to the Super Bowl in four consecutive years (much less the first four), I’d have to say that the Eli Manning brain trust knew what they were doing.

Of course this has to be an accurate report—it may be as much the stuff of dreams as the Chargers actually having a winning season.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
You'd think that a guy like Quincy as decent as he is(I'm stressing lots of sarcasm here) would take a low rent contract to get into ANY camp at this point. SO why hasn't he signed yet?
Alot of ball clubs are probably taking a wait-and-see attitude with the grievance he filed w/ the players association. Since everything about this situation is so hush hush, it is probably a wise thing to do before bringing this guy on board.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Alot of ball clubs are probably taking a wait-and-see attitude with the grievance he filed w/ the players association.
I expect that a fair number of teams are waiting to see which quarterbacks get cut in the next few weeks. The real reason to get Carter now, would be if you needed a starting QB. Teams looking for an experienced backup can afford to wait.

Also there will be a few (not unlike Dallas) that don’t know for sure if they need help. These teams will give the players on their roster every chance to succeed (and prove that they can be the backup QB) before deciding to look elsewhere. This normally happens beginning after pre-season game two and accelerates after the last pre-season game (most teams use this as a last chance to evaluate players with question marks).

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I can't stand to watch baseball at home (love the stadium atmosphere though). Otherwise, I was dying for football only to have the game bore me a little.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Has there ever been a more obvious lame-duck coaching situation than Wannstadt in Miami?
Marty Shottenheimer in San Diego this season is in the same boat, he's gone regardless. The Miami one is close though, and its more obvious than some of the other ones we've seen lately.

As for Tim Brown to Tampa, I love Brown and wish him the best of luck, accept in week 3 of the up coming season.

Seriously though, with all the old Raiders on the team, and in the front office, you'd think that Oakland and not Tampa Bay won the Superbowl, but here we have the victors trying to build the same type of organization as their victims.

Its a good signing, with one receiver out for the year because of surgery and another holding out for more money and asking for his release, and a rookie to bring along, this will be a good fit in Tampa with an offense he already knows.

Charlie Garner
Tim Brown
Matt Stinchcomb
Rickey Dudley
Marcus Knight
Bruce Allen (General Manager)
all former Raiders in Tampa now and all brought in by Jon Gruden.

In fairness though Oakland has brought Dewayne Rudd and Warren Sapp over from Tampa Bay.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Well well well, the Browns signed Winslow. That leaves Ben Watson of the Pats and Rivers of the Chargers who have not signed yet.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well well well, the Browns signed Winslow. That leaves Ben Watson of the Pats and Rivers of the Chargers who have not signed yet.
I am a little bit surprised by Watson, as New England usually is pretty good about this sort of thing and got their other round 1 pick done pretty early, maybe the second or third round 1 pick to sign.

For those that suspect that this is just a Rivers thing, and that I might be letting my personal dislike for the Chargers clowd my judgement as to who is at fault in these talks, let me just remind you that a couple of years ago they had a hold out with Quinton Jammer that lasted in to the regular season. Its starting to be a pattern with this team now...I forget if Tomlinson was in camp on time or not.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Casey,
I don't remember Tomlinson holding out. Then again he should be due for a contract extension soon so we'll see but yes I would tend to agree with you about it being a Chargers thing.

Also they might be a little gunshy after paying out big $$ to a bust QB. Personally I think they should have just went with Brees and took Gallery to help their line. That or traded down and taken a WR like Fitzgerald if he was there or one of the other big ones.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I don’t have anything against the Chargers—other than their hopeless ownership. It is pretty hard to get worked up over a team that has had about four winning seasons over the last two decades (I made these numbers up—but I’ll bet they are not too far off).

Even so, I think that they are only in the runner-up spot for hopeless franchises: Arizona has a clear (though small) edge. The old whipping boy, Cincinnati became respectable and is not longer a contender.

I'm pretty sure that they always have signing problems.

Frank Grimes

Second Unit
I just read about the contract incentives for Rivers to make that money, and I take back my comment about Rivers being in the wrong. He should still be getting #4 money, though.

And I do recall Tomlinson holding out through the first preseason game.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Lew, my dislike for the Chargers is as a result of them being a divisional opponent, if they weren't in the division I wouldn't care about them either way. Its just that in this case for me anyway, my personal dislike has nothing to do with why I feel that this could be more of the Chargers fault. I'm just going by their past history.

I actually agree with Shane, if they're hesitating to the idea of giving big money to a QB, then they shouldn't have drafted a QB with the first pick. All I heard from the Chargers leading up to this was that they weren't going to let the Ryan Leaf thing scare them out of picking a QB. Fine then it shouldn't scare you from paying said QB.

Its actually frightening to note that San Diego has played in a superbowl in the past decade or so and was in another AFC championship game to boot. They've really fallen off the wagon since then. I actually think that Cincinnati and Arizona are being replaced by San Diego and San Francisco in the bad organization department.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I have a hard time labeling either Cincinnati or San Diego as the worst NFL franchises, since both have been to a Super Bowl -- twice in the Bengals case. Arizona and Detroit are the only franchises that have been around since the start of the Super Bowl era and have not been to the big game. New Orleans comes close, but they were not around during the first four NFL-AFL games. Arizona probably gets the nod, since they have not won a championship since the 1940's, while Detroit won their last title in '57. Also, I do not think the Cardinals have even made a conference championship game appearance during the Super Bowl era -- Detroit was there in '91, after getting their one and only postseason win since the '57 title.

Feel pity for me. I've been a Lions fan since around 1970 and have seen them win exactly one playoff game. :frowning:

Not considering all the baggage of the past, though, I would definitely put San Diego, Arizona and San Fran at the top of a current list of worst-run franchises. Arizona may work its way off the list with the hiring of Dennis Green, but that remains to be seen. If not for the past two offseasons, Detroit would also be on that list, IMO.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Feel pity for me. I've been a Lions fan since around 1970 and have seen them win exactly one playoff game.
But hey, it could be worse, at least your entire sports town isn't cursed, you can rest with the Pistons 3 titles...I suppose it would be terrible though if one were only a football fan in Michigan.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Dome, he actually coached in cleveland as well. Marty has won a lot of regular season games, but he's not really a post season coach, though he's taken a few teams to conference title games, he's never broken through. He's not a total schmuck of a head coach.

Users who are viewing this thread