What's new

2003-2004 NFL Season (Playoffs and coaching moves) (1 Viewer)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Lew, not all of the drug policy can be confidential, the NFL has to notify the team of a failed test in some instances, because I think on the second violation of the policy there is the loss of 4 game checks, and since the team makes out the checks they'd have to be notified in order to carry that out.

Looking at the headlines tonight, I see that things just got worse for the Dolphins as David Boston may be lost for the entire season.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Here is a quote from Parcells about LT:
If the Cowboys come up anywhere short of the playoffs, there will be no one to blame but themselves.
He's already said that if they don't make the playoffs that they could be a better team. They overachieved last year and frankly it was a miracle they made the playoffs.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Give me an improved Quincy Carter over Vinnie T. everyday of the week. There is no chance to even be in contention w/ a 40 year old QB that did nothing for his squad at all last year. Yes, the Cowboys overachieved last year, but who's to say that they didn't have a chance this year. Heck, they even surprised their coaching God Parcells himself.

It's so funny that before each season all the analysts and armchair enthusiasts (myself included) pontificate our picks and predictions when no one ever gets it right. Who saw Carolina last year? They were on no one's radar screen. The experts didn't even pick them to win their division. When it comes to season predictions, all we look at is talented big name stars on paper, and the most perceived talent wins. Haven't we learned from the NFL seasons past, and just this past NBA season that while you can measure talent, you can't measure heart, will, and determination?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Personally I think they are better off with Vinnie and the potential for injury problems with him, and his big league arm rather than Quincy who doesn't have an arm and has a tendency to bail out quickly to try to make a play with his legs. Those type Qb's don't win championships, people with big league arms do. The only exception to this rule MIGHT be Donovan McNabb. Other than him and maybe Leftwich, you have a bunch of QB's who just sit in the pocket and pick you apart.

Also its tough to judge Vinnie based on the team he had. Hardly any receivers, an old running back, a weak line, a below average coach(though I respect him) and a system that doesn't favor him. He has all that and a #1 Defense to back him up. He doesn't make that many mistakes. Our Line is the problem. If our line can straigten things out, then we're solid all the way. The only other big question mark will be our cornerbacks.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
In honor on Barry Sanders induction today, here is a small list of accomplishments per our Michigan online newspaper

http://www.mlive.com/lions/stories/i...3810230680.xml

0 -- Number of times Sanders failed to have a 1,000-yard rushing season as a starting running back during his high school, college and pro careers.

1 -- The number of Lions rushing records (out of 10) Sanders does not hold. Among the longest rushing plays, Sanders is tied for No. 2 at 85 yards. Bob Hoernschemeyer holds the record with a 96-yard run (1950). However, of the top 10 longest rushing plays in Lions history, Sanders has five of them.

5 -- Number of 1,500-yard rushing seasons (1991, 1994-97), tops in NFL history. Eric Dickerson and Walter Payton are second with four each.

5.0 -- Yards per carry Sanders averaged over his pro career, the second-highest average of the top 20 rushers on the NFL's career list. Jim Brown has the highest average at 5.2. Sixteen of those 20 running backs averaged 4.4 yards per carry or less.

10 -- Pro Bowl appearances during Sanders' 10 NFL seasons.

14 -- Consecutive 100-yard rushing games, an NFL record. It happened in the final 14 games of the 1997 season as he totaled 2,000 yards during that span (Sanders rushed for a total of 53 yards in his first two games). Marcus Allen is second with 11 consecutive 100-yard games.

15 -- Career touchdown runs of 50 yards or more, most in NFL history. Brown is second with 12.

18 -- Yards of Sanders' first run as an NFL player. After holding out for the entire training camp, Sanders reported just two days before the season-opener against the Arizona Cardinals and entered the game in the third quarter. He finished the game with 71 yards and a touchdown on nine carries.

25 -- Games in which Sanders gained 150 yards or more, most in NFL history. Brown is second with 22 games.

1,458 -- The number of yards Sanders would have needed in 1999 to surpass Walter Payton and become the NFL's career rushing leader. Instead, hre retired.

2,053 -- The yardage total of Sanders' 1997 season, the third-highest single-season total in NFL history. Eric Dickerson had 2,105 yards in 1984 and Jamal Lewis had 2,066 in 2003.

2,658 -- Yards rushing during Sanders' junior year at Oklahoma State (1988), the NCAA record for most rushing yards in a season.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Brandon, thanks for the trip down memory lane with those Barry stats. I still miss watching him carry the ball. :frowning:

I think the Cowboys will be better off without Quincy Carter. Dallas may have won 10 games last year, but Carter was not the reason -- their defense was. Carter does not have the talent to play QB in the NFL. Vinnie is just a stop gap until Drew Henson gets a chance at the starting spot.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I think Carter being let go in part was possible if people believed Henson could get to where they wanted him.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Vinnie is just a stop gap until Drew Henson gets a chance at the starting spot.
If Henson proves he is a wolf, then he will be thrown to them. Trust me I didn't make up that quote, I stole it from Parcells. Henson looks really good in practice they say. He just holds on to his mistakes and doesn't let them go they say.

Monday night is the HOF game! Denver vs Washington. That should be a good one.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Carter does not have the talent to play QB in the NFL.
What has Jake Plummer done that garners him so much praise that Quincy Carter hasn't done? Jake Plummer has been a below-average QB so far and has done absolutely nothing but show up on Sunday. Jake Plummer has abysmal stats and an equally abysmal TD/INT ration his first 4 seasons in the league, yet, he has been favorably compared to Joe Montana. Why does Carter not have the talent, but Jake Plummer do? I think that it's safe to say that QC would still have a job w/ the Cowboys (temporarily, at least) had Parcells not been the coach.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
And had Parcells NOT been the coach, there is NO WAY that last years Cowboys team would have sniffed the playoffs. I have yet to hear Plummer compared to Montana since college.

Given Carter or Parcells...that's an easy choice.

I actually watched the HoF ceremony. Rather dull. Berman sucked as the MC, but it was Barry, and I wanted to see him get in. His speech was rather funny. Well, it wasn't, but his constant laughing was. And the cameraman was decent enough to show Barry's better half a few times. I'd have been laughing too :)

Still, long and plodding, with too few highlights. The inductee speeches were varied and interesting though.

And we have some football tonight, although it is the preseason.

Shouldn't we start a new thread ;)

Take care,
Chuck

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
As a hardcore Cowboy fan, I must say that I'm disappointed at the way the Cowboy organization released Quincy. It is all very hypocritical on the part of Parcells and Jerry Jones who was alleged to have tried to protect Leon Lett who was smokin' and snortin' everything he could get his hands on - and let's not even mention Michael Irvin. And there's Parcells toleration of Lawrence Taylor (an admitted crack fiend) who's by many accounts is an NFL celebrity.
The local TV here played a Parcells’ sound bite dozens of times. He said (more or less—I can’t remember the direct quote) that he did intend to treat everyone the same. He did what he thought was the best for the club—and sometimes for the player.

Personally I think that a lot of the harsh Quincy Carter criticism comes about because he is a quarterback. Other positions get a lot more leeway. And I think that some of the harshness comes about because he is a black quarterback.

And finally, I expect that he might be given a slightly easier time if he played for some club other than the Dallas Cowboys.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
And finally, I expect that he might be given a slightly easier time if he played for some club other than the Dallas Cowboys.
Also true. No one mentions that there are quite a few clubs that Quincy can contribute greatly to, and more than a few that he can actually take the starting position.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
What has Jake Plummer done that garners him so much praise that Quincy Carter hasn't done? Jake Plummer has been a below-average QB so far and has done absolutely nothing but show up on Sunday. Jake Plummer has abysmal stats and an equally abysmal TD/INT ration his first 4 seasons in the league, yet, he has been favorably compared to Joe Montana. Why does Carter not have the talent, but Jake Plummer do?
I have not seen anyone around here praising Jake Plummer, so I'm not sure why you are making this comparison. Several teams have lousy starting QB's (Pittsburgh, Chicago, Miami, etc.). That has nothing to do with whether Quincy Carter is a viable starting NFL QB. The Joe Montana comparisons were when Plummer first came out of college. They were obviously erroneous predictions.

As for the Hall of Fame speeches, I hardly ever watch them but did this year because of Barry. Sanders has always been a quiet, shy person, and his speech reflected that. The laughter appeared to be just a nervous laugh. Of course, his dad made an ass of himself, but that is to be expected out of the senior Sanders.

I thought John Elway's daughter was the highlight of the ceremony. She delivered a wonderful introduction for her dad.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Oh, it certainly was a nervous laugh. But it was contagious.

And I still contend the highlight was whenever the camera showed Barry's photogenic wife ;)

Kevin,
That might help if I listened to Madden. I don't. It's a business. Parcells wins. He made a decision. Many think it was a good one. Carter will get another chance, somewhere. And he'll flake out. But Parcells is the COACH. HE runs the team, not a QB with two years starting.

His choice,
Chuck

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Chuck, as to why there is not a new thread yet, basically we figured we'd just leave the preseason stuff and training camp stuff in here, and start one for the regular season, at least that's the best reason I can figure for why there is not a new thread.

I didn't see the Hall of Fame speeches yesterday.

As for the Plummer talk, well, for the second season in a row, Peter King picked Plummer to be the MVP.
Count on Plummer getting injured and missing a few games this year like he always does, and Denver hope Danny Canell improved else they would be in serious trouble.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks