1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2003-2004 NBA Season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

2. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Note to Phil Jackson: Feed the Daddy!

3. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Congrats, Piston fans, on your NBA championship. The greatest defensive team the NBA has ever seen. You never give up, you play for 48 minutes, and you never foul anybody.

4. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

yeeeeehhhaaaaaaaaawwwwww!!!!!!!!!!! GO DETROIT!!!

damn, rootin against the lakers is almost as fun as rootin for the Kings!!! i cant wait to see their whiny ass excuse this time!

Johnny

5. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

And they are simply the better team, I'm afraid, Jan.

The Lakers age showed tonight. Pistons are just quicker to the ball, and show much more overall energy.

Malone being injured is big. I don't know if it would have made a big difference, but I would have liked to see this series with a healthy Malone (minus his injury from earlier this year).

Why did Jackson play Payton throughout the 4th quarter?

Kobe had a poor game, but I credit that to the Pistons defense. The Lakers simply had to have somebody else step up. Nobody did.

Other than Rasheed Wallace, I really like the Pistons, and I am quite happy for Larry Brown.

6. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Good lord Johnny. Do all Pistons and Kings fans a favor and shut up!

Sheesh. Why don't you just give up being a fan of any particular team and just root against the Lakers if that is more fun than rooting for the Kings.

[​IMG]

7. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

8. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Guess ole Johnny up in SacTown has done a bit too much nippin' on the moonshine to know that his Kings aren't in the Finals. So, pardner, rustle up some grub, bang that cowbell, and stick your head back in that grubby hole known as Sacramentucky till we have to hear from you again, ya hear? Knowhuddamean?

9. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

10. Casey Trowbridg

On another topic, I'm appreciative of all this talk about how a person's favorite teams in a certain sport got to be their favorite teams. Like I said, I'm from the middle of South Dakota...not exactly a thriving pro sports market, and I'd rather have rusty nails driven through my tongue than root for a team like the Minnesota Vikings. So I think its cool to hear how you all got your allegiances.

My other ones are simple...
    Atlanta Braves: If it weren't for TBS, I'd not care about the Braves and would probably be a Twins fan, mainly because of that whole contraction thing. The Braves played in the first baseball game I can remember watching against the Reds, the very year their division streak began. I wasn't really a fan until the penent race of 1993 though, that race with the Giants is why I'm a baseball fan today.

Colorado Avalanche: Well, this one is a bit harder to explain. I guess the year they lefet Quebec and became the Avs was when I became a fan. I really got in to them when they started the rivalry with the Wings, for some reason I never cared for that team, and I grew fond of some of the players like Patrick Roy.

Oakland Raiders;: When I was real little and didn't know better or really know much about football, I half heartedly cheered for the Cincinnati Bengals, mainly because I liked the name. Then again before starting to follow and understand the game, I got in to the Bills...picked them to win 3 Superbowls in a row before figuring out it wasn't gonna happen. But then I started to get in to the game and watch it closely and get to know the teams and the players. As I heard about the Raider mystique and some of the great players from Raider teams past, something about it just attracted me. Maybe because when I compete I have the Just win Baby mentality I really don't know, but it was something. So there you have it.

11. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Yes, the Pistons are clearly the more deserving team. The referees have obviously seen that and are calling the games accordingly. The Lakers are old, hurt and slow, and are being outcoached. Perhaps I should've watched more of (or any) of the Eastern Conference playoffs and I'd be less surprised and dismayed. But, hey sometimes you root for David and sometimes you root for Goliath. [​IMG]

I agree, Larry Brown deserves a ring more than anybody! [​IMG]

12. Casey Trowbridg

13. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Jan, Rick was over here watching the game with me. You should have heard the profanities come out of my dedicated theater room! Unbelievably bad officiating.

Throughout the game, even when the Lakers were looking fairly good on offense in the first half, I was extremely upset about how piss poor they were playing defense. This continued in the second half, and eventually caught up with them.

So, let's assume the Lakers lose the series. Where is Kobe next year?

14. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

Seth

15. Haggai

Haggai Producer

I didn't think the refereeing was that bad tonight, with the notable exception of a catastrophic stretch midway through the fourth--stupid touch foul offense call on Payton dribbling up the floor against Rip, lousy call on Kobe as Chauncey goes down while barely being touched, and then a tech on Kobe as he (rightly) got pissed at the ref. The Pistons were gifted two points out of that stretch. Then again, there were THREE lane violations called on the Pistons, and there was an offensive foul on Rip later in the fourth that was clearly a make-up call for that terrible one on Gary a few minutes earlier.

This is debilitating stuff for LA. Shaq was a monster, they generally did a good job getting him the ball, and they played OK defense for the first three quarters. But, it still wasn't enough in the end. I did think the Pistons were getting decent looks in the first three quarters, but just didn't hit them, and that finally changed in the fourth. Detroit's defense on Kobe was nothing short of magnificent, a real masterpiece.

Going back to Detroit at 1-1, I figured that the most likely scenario was the Pistons winning 3 and 5, with the Lakers taking Game 4. Awfully steep hill for LA to climb on Tuesday.

16. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Wow. Tough call. I'd say here, but if the Lakers could work out a sign and trade with Orlando for McGrady, I might be open to that. Shaq and T-Mac are buds, and you know Tracy would feed the Daddy. If Kobe wants to be The Man, let him take his act to the Knicks.

17. Casey Trowbridg

18. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

The officials cost the Lakers the game. Oh puh-lease.

Detroit is the quicker, more aggresive, and more atheletic team. They out hustled the Lakers for almost the entire game. I suppose the officials had something to do with Detroit dominating the offensive glass and getting more fast break opportunities, or for Rasheed Wallace scorching Medvedenko.

- Walter.

19. BrandonM

BrandonM Stunt Coordinator

Let's wait til the offseason to talk about offseason matters, this series is far from over [​IMG].

20. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

I still say he goes to Memphis. I don't think he cares as much about the Media exposure. I think he just wants a team he can be "the man" on that won't suck horribly. Memphis has his mentor running the front office and a squad full of young, hardassed role players who know their role and play great basketball. Perfect for Kobe to step in and assume total leadership.

People always say New York or the Clippers, but don't count out the West/Bryant ties and Kobe's raw need to be numero uno on the court.