2003-2004 NBA Season

Jan H

Cinematographer
Reaction score
The thing is, Carlo, Kobe didn't get his. He was too busy jacking up wild outside shots and not involving his teammates. 27 shots to get 22 points are pathetic, World B. Free numbers. Kobe did not play the team game tonight, and if I was going to blame any particular Laker for the loss, it'd be him. In fact, everybody but Shaq shot a combined 16-57. 28%!!!!

We deserved to lose. If I was Shaq, I'd be pissed!

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Well I wouldn't lay the loss on Kobe since he pretty much did a good job defending Rip. And though he took quite a few shots, his teammates sure didn't help by hesitating and missing when he did pass the ball. The role players sure didn't inspire me to want to pass to them...

An interesting thing: Kobe did say this was the first time he really had Tay on him for nearly the whole game and said he had to get used to his length. Now we'll see if Kobe can adjust too. Maybe if he's expending too much energy chasing Rip they should relieve him of that duty, or switch up defensive assignments for stretches of the game.

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor
Reaction score
I'm a little torn, on the one hand had I been able to watch the game I wouldn't have liked what I saw based on what I've read...and yet if I had been able to watch the game, I wouldn't have had to deal with the personal thing I had to deal with which was insufferable. So, I guess for as bad as the game went, I think I'd have rather seen it.

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor
Reaction score
I guess the only thing I really want to know about tonight's game is how this fits in the grand L.A. conspiracy being unravveled as we speak by a group of investigative reporters down in San Antonio.

So, I guess it will be up to George to translate their rantings in to English and explain it to me. Although George you don't have to if you don't want to, only if your going to hear it anyway...don't suffer extra on my account.

Brandon and others thanks for the good thoughts and prayers, it was just a difficult couple hours. I experienced a rather dramatic change in mood tonight just a little before the game started, from excitement to very depressed…probably as a result of stress build up. So I spent some time quietly to calm me down, but it really wasn’t a pleasant thing to deal with. To make matters worse, I’ve had a very bad cold all weekend which caused me a lot of frustration.

But I’ll say this now, that’s no average team you’ve got there.

Perhaps my cold medicine isn’t alcohol free afterall?

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Reaction score
I'd say it was a strategy. They doubled down on Kobe and Shaq a lot less than other teams, and when they did, they rotated very well defensively, or at least in a way that the Lakers were unprepared for.

That's why I'm not hitting the panic button just yet. Jackson has shown that he can figure things out. Sometimes, like vs. SA, it takes longer than what would make us Lakers fans comfy.

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer
Reaction score
Detroit played a very good defensive game, and both Billups and Prince came out of the offensive funks they were both in during the Indiana series. It's good to see the team not be intimidated by their first trip to the Finals.

I wouldn't put much blame on Kobe -- he was chasing Hamilton around all night, which can wear a player out. He's the first person in the playoffs to shut down Rip, too. That was an impressive defensive effort by Bryant. If the rest of the Lakers played defense like Bryant last night, the outcome may have been different. It seemed like the Pistons had more open looks in last night's game than in the entire series vs. the Pacers.

It will be interesting to see how Detroit handles this win. In each of the first three playoff series, they had a letdown after playing well. They cannot afford to do that against LA. The Lakers will obviously make some adjustments, as will the Pistons (look for Larry Brown to do some things to try to get Hamilton some open shots).

Detroit still needs to win one more game in LA -- either Game 2 or Game 6, since there is no way they can be expected to win three straight at home. This 2-3-2 format really favors the higher seeded team.

Casey, I hope everything works out for you -- except with the Lakers, of course

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer
Reaction score
But still he's never won without great players.
Not many have. As I pointed out in a prior post, it has been 25 years since a team won without one of the very best players.

For sure when Red was lighting up those cigars, it was not as though the players on the floor were a bunch of guys named Joe.

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
oh yes....I was going to mention that, made it much more pleasant to see his reaction shots.

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Jan, seriously, read my post, consider the outcome of game 1, then read your posts.

Now reconsider who is "emotional" in their postings.
where some of the offenses Detroit played against were just plain awful, Indiana, Milwaukee being among those in the playoffs.
Err, excuse me? Really? 4th in the NBA in scoring, 6th in FG PCT, 10th in 3Pt PCT...that's awful?

Look Casey, this is a perfect example of blind bias. I'm not mad or trying to be a jerk, but obviously your opinion of the Bucks offense is way off. If you are using reasoning like this then I can see why you think DET is just average.

For the season...

Pts scored
LA #1, MIL #4
FG PCT
LA #4, MIL #6
3Pt PCT
LA #25, MIL #10
FT PCT
LA #28, MIL #7
Assits per FGM
LA 64%, MIL 63%

Can we go back over how you determine a good offense again, because I'm not getting it.

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Casey, sorry to hear that. I didn't read page 46 before my last post, just so you realize I wasn't just jumping on a guy while he's down or whatever.

While I don't feel sorry that the Lakers lost, I realize it sucks when things are going wrong and then on top of it your team loses. My dad passed away Jan 2 and a few weeks later the Colts missed their chance at a Super Bowl bid to play in my former home of H'town against my dad's home of Charlotte. I thought it was karma putting it all together and had money set aside for the SB tickets. Then "Bam", nevermind.

It sucks, but then when your team wins its like natural crack or something. Suddenly a crappy day can feel great. Its why we ride out the losses (some of us over and over).

Seth Paxton

Lead Actor
Reaction score
I'd say it was a strategy.
I did too in my long post above, but I figured I'd put it seperate from all that other stuff just to be clear.

This is what I mean by not knowing real defense. What the West teams generally do is play 1 on 1. Yes people help on PnR but what you don't see is hard rotations and shifts that come from intense practicing of defense.

Just like DET can't run offenses as sophisticated as the triangle.

AI may not believe me, but practice matters and there are only so many hours in a day. DET obviously commits more time to understanding a complex DEF scheme, LA works on maintaining a complex OFF scheme.

A big part of that has to do with coaching the talent you have. Shaq is not good at team defense, or even individual defense for that matter. He's an offensive powerhouse. So naturally Phil goes with what he's got. Plus Phil has used similar schemes in the past, generally letting players use their individual talent to carry the defensive load (ie, letting Mike, Pippen, Kobe roam and try to cause problems) and assume that to be enough, which it often can be.

DET players move BEFORE the ball shifts. They are all aware of the scheme at hand and adjust during the play. For example, at one point Rip got switched onto Kobe or George (I forget) and Prince took an open moment to find him, grab him and point him to the smaller man, as well as taking over his spot.

Other guys will sometimes do this, but not at the level of a coach seeing the floor unfolding long before its trouble. DET, Indy, and NJ all do this (in that order to a lesser degree).

Also, as you may have noticed, DET commits to not allowing uncontested shots, with the exception of not wasting a foul on Shaq if they already allowed him to get the ball deep inside. They saved fouls on him for when they thought they could really force a miss, simply to avoid foul trouble that would keep them from playing aggressive defense otherwise.

Shaq and Kobe are better than anyone else DET has faced, but the rest of the Lakers are not. That's the reality of it. Payton is slower, we all know this. Karl is slowed by injury and generally only looks half-good. His touch is more off now and his best asset on the OFF end is a good passing eye.

Phil will adjust, but the one problem is that Larry didn't really use a "gimmick" to win the game. I think LA will adjust their defense to try and help in the lane, but even as they do that Rip will start to drop a few more of his jumpers. Plus Sheed will likely play more than just a few minutes in the first half of game 2, which also means a bit more offense there.

Personally, I thought LA did not look as good as Indy last night. Their scoring was only a little better thanks basically to Shaq and their defense was a lot simpler, as well as slow to react to guys taking them off the dribble.

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer
Reaction score
2-3-2 format gives huge advantage to home team

Since the NBA went to the 2-3-2 format in 1985, the team with home court advantage has won 15 of 19 titles. The visiting team has never won both Game 6 and 7 to win a title.

Despite losing Game 1, the Lakers still hold the advantage in this series. Unless Detroit can win three straight at home (and who here really believes they can?), they must win either Game 2 or Game 6 in LA -- since the odds of winning a Game 7 on the road are also stacked heavily against them.

Carlo Medina

Executive Producer
Reaction score
One thing overlooked is how Karl Malone (and remember, I'm a bigger Laker fan than Malone hater!
) was so off of his shot it was ridiculous. I mean he had, what, a half-dozen open 15 footers that he normally makes with ease. Yes I know he's aging, but he rarely ever shoots that poorly. Those are shots he's made his entire career, even in the twilight years. I look for him to find his shot by Game 2 tipoff, not to shoot 90%, but not to miss all those open jumpers (and some of those misses led to transition opportunities, so it's not just a 2-point loss to the Lakers, but more like a 4 point swing).

george kaplan

Executive Producer
Reaction score
This will be my only post until this series is over one way or another.

First of all - Congratulations to Detroit.

Now,

Holy Half-Assed Apathetic Effort, Batman! I'm disgusted at the Lakers right now. I have no doubt that either San Antonio or Minnesota would have won that game last night. It might have been even lower scoring against S.A., but they would have won.

Detroit is very good defensively, but they suck enough offensively to offset that, and any team as good as the Lakers should have won that game. That outcome was 20% Detroit Defense, and 80% Laker patheticness.

I've seen the Lakers cruise through the regular season, and even cruise through the playoffs, but this is the Fucking Finals! I am ashamed of this team. They deserved to lose that game, and frankly that was such a pathetic lack of effort, that if it were up to me, I'd give Detroit the title right now. The Lakers basically deserve to have to forfeit the rest of the series for that performance. I knew that they might not bring their A+ game, but I never thought they'd bring a D- game to the finals. I am shocked.

Hell, to tell you the truth, I have no intention of watching any more of this. I've been a Laker fan since the 60s, but right now, the NBA is on the verge of becoming the NFL for me. I used to be a rabid NFL fan, but when the Rams left LA, I lost all interest and haven't watched so much as five minutes of a game since. I'm about to lose all interest in the NBA. I've seen a lot of hard times with this team (mid to late 70s, most of the 90s, losing to San Antonio), but I've never been as disappointed as I am now. Magic's Lakers got blown out sometimes worse than that game last night, but I knew that Magic and the rest of the Lakers were giving it their all every night. I haven't felt that way about this team for at least 2 years now, and I'm getting sick of it.

Spurs Fan is still upset about their asterisk championship back in 1999, and is always trying to throw the asterisk at others. They've been arguing that the Lakers deserve an asterisk for the 0.4 Fisher shot. I disagree completely with that, but I actually think that if the Lakers come back and win this series somehow, that they deserve an asterisk for their pathetic play in game 1 (I mean at the very least that thing should count as two defeats, it was so bad).

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor
Reaction score
I've seen the Lakers cruise through the regular season, and even cruise through the playoffs, but this is the Fucking Finals!
I missed the game, so I can't judge for myself what happned...but this was my thoughts going in that they wouldn't cruise through the finals becaus supposedly this one was the one that mattered most, and so if it really was a lack of effort...then I agree with George's post, of course since I don't plan to watch the game, I don't know so won't say definitively one way or the other.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShibGhib