1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

2003-2004 NBA Season

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 24, 2003.

1. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Jordan Who?:b

2. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

You can count 88 all you want. Hell I'll give you 88, but I'll take 89. And while I'm at it, I might as well take 91, 83, 84, 73, 59, 62, 63, 65, 66, 68, 69 and 70. So, even taking away 88, the Lakers go from 14 championships to 26. OK. [​IMG]

Hey bad calls go both ways, and I could complain about em (and do), but in the end - scoreboard. No 26 championships, only 14 (including 88, but not 89). That's the way it is.

3. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

nm

4. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

George I loved that post of yours...of course, you knew I would though.

Nice game today, Indiana down a dozen come back and make a game of it before the end.

Tomorrow night, the Wolves learn a little more respect...and then we wait until freakin monday for game 5.

5. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

It was a joke George, I decided just to clarify that it was just a joke. I am happy for you and your 14 Championships. The Lakers are a great organization, but hey two championships are more than a lot of teams can say they have, so I am happy with that.

6. BrandonM

BrandonM Stunt Coordinator

You got one of those things right, but Game 5 is actually Saturday night at 8:30 eastern time.

7. Casey Trowbridg

Is it really? I had heard somewhere it was on Monday, I thought it was every other day and that it being Monday didn't make any sense...but I just figured this was the NBA being, well the NBA again.

8. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Including the Spurs who only have 1.6. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And that too is a JOKE in case any Spurs fans are listening.

10. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Well, it looks like Seth and I were both right partially about last night's game. Indy did look lethargic early, allowing way too many easy Detroit baskets. However, the blowout that the Pistons appeared on the brink of many times during the game never happened. After pretty much ignoring him in the 2nd half of Game 2, the Pacers went back to O'Neal successfully last night. Fortunately for the Pistons, he was flying solo most of the time, while Detroit got solid performances from four of their five starters.

Game 4 on Friday should be quite a battle. The Pistons need to win one of the next two to have a chance to win the series before Game 7 in Indianapolis. The Pacers need to win the next two to avoid the above scenario.

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Wow, granted I did not watch the whole game due to commitments, but was it me or did the Pistons not score for more than half of the second quarter? [​IMG] And they still won...

12. Scott Merryfield

13. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

14. Scott Merryfield

15. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

I think that DET could give Shaq troubles, and I think they could hold LA down to the 85 range if need be. I just don't think they have enough offensive threats to really find the holes in LAs defense (and there are several of those).

Maybe Billups/Sheed on the PnPop could cause problems.

Now I will say that without a doubt Rip can hit the big shot, short of a three that is. If you take away some of his ball handling and make it 3 range, you do have Reggie Miller's twin.

One example of what he could do was when the Pacers got to 2 and Fred Jones was tight on him as the shot clock ran down in the 4th. Rip does a wrong arm turn and fade in which he had to force himself back around to shoot with his right hand from 19 feet...and he busts it.

It wasn't a total bust for Indy despite the other post, Fred Jones looks to be getting back up to speed (hey, dude dunked on Ben Wallace on that break, very impressive), Croshere and Bender showed the ability to knock down the 3 on the road.

But to protect their defensive issues Carlisle had to go to a zone for the first half of the 4th, so while they give you points they hurt you at the other end. Of course Indy was winning the "let's play offense" version so maybe that's what Rick needs to go to, a bit more tempo and offensive guys.

And I know home fans don't mind so much, but seriously how much of showing up the refs can Sheed continue to get away with. First he walked away in vigorous disgust, flailing his arms and loudly complaining in a very out of the normal display, then he left the court completely on his next foul acting up even worse. I've seen lots of guys T'd up for a lot less than that.

Meanwhile, the East just went from 3 top teams to 4 with the Hornets hiring Scott. That team has a ton of talent that was a real threat before Tim Floyd. Add to the mix what we assume Stan Van Gundy will do with Miami and an extra year of growth to their young stars, as well as what Doc Rivers might get done in Boston, and I think you see the East make great strides in the balance of power.

Of course those teams already were in the post-season so it doesn't address issues like NY, but you would at least think the Cavs will be 42-44 win team. Hard to know what Philly will do.

16. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

17. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

A few thoughts on tonight's Lakers/Wolves game: Garnett is the best all-around player I've ever seen. His skills are unparalleled in the history of the league. He can guard anybody (and everybody) and score on anybody. He got jobbed on a number of non-calls that should have gone his way. This disturbs me because I feel the Lakers would have won anyway, but the refs opened the whole 'conspiracy theory' can of worms by swallowing their whistles. KG is on an undermanned squad that never gives up and never goes away. He deserves the MVP every year from now on, as far as I can see. This series is making me a fan of the T-Wolves, and Garnett's the reason. But...

I've been a Laker fan since 1977 (remember Phil Ford??), and they'll always be my team even when the lottery comes our way, as it must to every fan.

No matter how much Wolves fans and Laker haters may complain about the officiating, the bottom line is that the Wolves have still only deserved to win 1 out of the first 4 games. They didn't knock down open looks when they had them and they had no answer for the Daddy.

Hopefully, they'll close the Wolves out in 5 and the refs will call the game fairly.

18. Casey Trowbridg

19. Carlo Medina

I agreed completely with Magic's assertion for the press to lay off of Garnett. While I'm not going to go as far as Jan did in praise, there are a lot of greats in the history of the NBA, but I will say this: KG clearly is the best player this year, and fully deserved the MVP.

And he is on an inferior team to the Lakers (particularly w/o Cassell).

While Malone, Payton and heck, even Shaq don't get the points they used to, they still command respect. You double any of them or Kobe, and someone is left open who can score. Worse, Fisher has found his stroke from years past, and the Lakers seem to get just what they need from players who have been largely silent (George, Fox).

Meanwhile, in order for the Wolves to give KG offensive help, they have to bring in Wallyworld who can shoot lights out but is a defensive liability. Oh, and Hoiberg, who is probably the only one who plays worse D than Wally. The problem is that when their shots don't fall, the Lakers WILL score offensively because they're down two defenders to a team who demands double teams at several spots.

While I'm not big on conspiracy theories, I do expect the Lakers to potentially tank at Minny to get extra revenue from another Staples Center game. Know how much those Nicholson seats cost? [​IMG]

20. Carlo Medina

By the way, Flip has got to rest KG.

The Lakers often lose leads when Phil sits Shaq down (even if Kobe's in there) but he does it anyway. KG is clearly worn out from his previous Game 7 exertion and resting a combined, what, 2 minutes in 4 games vs. the Lakers?

It may be worth it to see if your club can trade buckets w/ the Lakers and sit KG at the end of a quarter or two (to take advantage of the long TV Timeout between quarters). If his team can stay close, a rejuvenated KG would be more effective late in the game, which is when the Lakers have pulled away these last two games...