What's new

2002, the year of the sequel (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
did the writers go on strike without me knowing it or has hollywood lost its creativity? maybe they ran out of names for movies and it is more economical now to just add a number to the end of an existing title... i dont know...
what I do know is that there were sooo many sequels this summer that it wasn't even funny... and most of them were crap
biggrin.gif
(Jay and Silent Bob was actually the only movie I really wanted to see again though... so it is exempt)
-American Pie 2
-Rush Hour 2
-Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
-Planet of the Apes
-Jurassic Park ///
...and I am sure that there are a couple more...
I don't know about you guys, but the movie I am looking forward the most to next year is Fincher's 'The Panic Room'
Until next time kiddies!
biggrin.gif

------------------
Robert Lutter

My DVD Collection
Link Removed Software Reviewer (Coming Soon!)

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
It does seem as if Hollywood is churning out nothing but sequels and remakes these days. I wouldn't mind so much if most of them were good! So far, the only 2002 sequel that I'm looking forward to is Attack of the Clones, none of the others pique my interest...
------------------
sgon.jpg

"Death's at the bottom of everything, Martins - leave death to the professionals!"
"Mind if use that line in my next western?"

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Neil, The Matrix 2 is May 2003.
The sad thing is, most sequels were actually good this year. I gave Rush Hour 2, American Pie 2, and Jurassic Park III all three stars while I gave Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back four stars (as it's the second best film of the year :)).
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
Well, you're forgetting Dr. Dolittle 2 and Scary Movie 2 from this summer.
Is a third Austin Powers film in the works? Is Red Dragon, the Manhunter remake/Silence of the Lambs prequel, set for next year? I had thought of another one for next year, but it escapes me at the moment.
Basically sequels are easy to sell. Built-in audience gets the box office numbers that first weekend, which is what everything seems geared around anymore.
------------------
Read my reviews at www.dvdmon.com
Most recent reviews: WarGames , Open Your Eyes , Waiting for Guffman , Maelstrom , Diary of a Chambermaid: The Criterion Collection
Most recent column: Panning P&S
[Edited last by Mark Pfeiffer on September 02, 2001 at 11:49 AM]

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Also, most of the movies you listed are slated for a summer release. The more original, creative movies are usually Q4 of the year so they're still in people's minds for Oscar season.
------------------
My DVD Collection

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Manhunter said:
Shrek 2 is 2003. Now for Fast and the Furious 2, I hope we don't see a sequel anytime soon for it.
biggrin.gif

------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
It seems like making a sequel is standard practice now. That is, if a movie is succesful, then unless something come up, there will be a sequel. This is contrary to creativity. A story is to be told because of the story, not because of one that happened before.
It's no mystery why the greatest movies of all time do not have sequels. That's because the creators said everything they needed to say and were done.
Exceptions to above:
The Godfather
Terminator
2001 Space Odyssey (though the sequel was so different in tone, approach, characters, story, etc, that it doesn't even feel like a sequel).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks