What's new

2002 Surround Music Award Nominees (1 Viewer)

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting news up at the High Fidelity Review site concerning the Nominees for the 2002 Surround Music Awards. This year both DVD-A and SACD will be recognized alongside standard-resolution (Dolby Digital and DTS) surround projects specifically created for multi-channel presentation. The full story along with all category nominees can be read by checking the link below.
Best of Show:
'Nitty Gritty Surround' - John McEuen and Jimmy Ibbotson w/Jennifer Warnes [AIX Records]
'A Night at the Opera' - Queen [DTS Entertainment]
'Live at Royal Albert Hall' - The Who and Special Guests [Image Entertainment]
'Opaline' - Dishwalla [immergent Records (5.1 Entertainment)]
'Ziroq' - Ziroq [Silverline Records (5.1 Entertainment)]
2002 Surround Music Nominees

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Micahel, I saw this earlier this evening. It's great to see SACD and DVD-Audio getting consideration here.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
If they are making nominations based on imaginative surround mixes, that Dishwalla dvd-audio won't win--I can barely hear some ambience stuff squeezing from the rears, much less actual instruments.
But the disc as a whole-sound quality, menu system, extras, etc.-is very well done. It even has easter eggs! :)
LJ

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, Agreed. I'm glad to see AIX get so many nominations as Mark really puts his heart and soul into their releases and are some of my very favorite DVD-A's. The amount of content on the discs make them some of the best "bang for the buck" going.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Can't argue with some of those.

But am I the only one who absolutely adores Tacet's classical DVD-As? Very aggressive sound mixes and beautiful sound, at least to my ears. I never see any mention of them at all.

NP: Earth, Wind & Fire, All 'N All

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, Where are you purchasing the Tacet titles from? I've heard very good comments on their stuff and even though I'm not real big on classical I'd like to get a copy of "Bach: 6 Complete Brandenburg Concertos".

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Micahel, I really need to order that "free" AIX DVD-Audio sampler (really $6.95). I keep hearing great things about Mark Waldrep's work.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, Forget ordering the sampler. Just break down and order the "Nitty Gritty Surround" title. I guarantee you won't be disappointed as I know you like Alison Krauss. In addition, when you order, they'll throw the sampler in for nada.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks