2002 Best Outdoor Speaker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alec M, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Alec M

Alec M Agent

Time to bring this one up again...I want a good pair of weatherproof speakers with good bass that can rock a party

From previous posts I have come up with the following list:
    B & W WM6 $500/pr list
    Def Tech AW100 $400/pr crutchfield
    JBL N26AWII $170/pr ($120 + $50 for brackets) Buy.com
    (Only weather resistant)
    NHT Outdoor One $330/pr 6th Ave
    Niles OS 25 $425/pr Yahoo!

The JBLs get great reviews, are awesome for the price, but they will be totally exposed to the weather so I am worried about that...

2. HarryR

HarryR Agent

Boston Acoustics Grand Voyagers sound awesome. I did not want to spend that kind of money so I bid for some JBL S36AW on Ebay and won for something like $150. Sound great. Also bought some N24's for the shop and they sound great too.

3. Dan Joy

Dan Joy Supporting Actor

My neighbor has some 1year old Klipsch outside. Lets say they kick some serious a$$. They are great with bass but are a tad large. He powers them with his 3801. I am very envious when I step outside![​IMG]

4. Jason Ly

Jason Ly Agent

Alec,
    I just hooked up a pair of n24aw on my back porch. The sound is quite good for an outdoor speaker. Also the construction of the speakers themselves seems to be very rugged, I don't worry at all about the weather damaging them. BTW, since they are not series II, I was able to pick them up from the local Beast Buy for $139 on closeout.[​IMG]
    P.S. The N24's come with mounting brackets included you just need to get 8 1" #10 screws to install them.

5. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I havn't heard them but you could check out the Paradigm Stylus line.
    James

6. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I was at Sound Advice yesterday and saw the B&W LM1's. They say that are ok for outdoor use, when covered, which is perfect for me since they'll be on a covered lanai. They are going for $129/each on sale now. I bet the Klipsch's do sound really good, which this store sells, too. SO when I get ready to purchase out-door speakers, it will probably come down to a set of the Klipsch's or the B&W LM1's.

Aaron

7. Alec M

Alec M Agent

I need some suggestions/feedback on weatherproof - they will be totally exposed in FL.

I am leaning towards NHT Outdoor Ones and Niles OS20s.

8. BrianChim

BrianChim Agent

May want to audition Sonance as well.

9. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Alec,
    I purchased NHT Outdoor Ones from 6th Ave about a year ago on sale for under $200/pr. They sound good but I do bring them in for the winter. I wasn't aware of that B&W model - it must be new, possibly a replacement for the WP-1 which I thought was lacking a bit in bass. What I like about the NHT is the 6" woofer and the ability to get some bass out of it. For under $200, I would be inclined to try the JBLs which unfortunately I didn't have a chance to hear. I did not like the Niles at all when I auditioned.

10. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I was heavily in the market for outdoor speakers when I did some discovering and learned quite a bit. Depending on how loud you want them to play and how much power you have to supply them you will want to consider that.
    If I had the $$, I'd go with the Klipsch's. They are easy to drive and can play loud. The only problem is, I didn't think they were $200+ better than the Russound's I heard. Nor did the local dealer seem to care for them. That being a more expensive speaker didn't make sense from a financial perspective.
    Klipsch link:
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/reliable...psa1newmo.html
    238.95 plus shipping for SA-1.
    SA-3's which have a 8" woof and 95db sensitivity(read easy easy to drive) are 429 at the same site.
    Below is a link of the Russound's. They have a 5 year warranty and are totally resistant. Since I didn't require loads of volume, these work quite well. I'm going to end up buying these quite soon!
    http://www.russound.com/catalog/item.lasso?item=OB41
    They'll run you $200 out the door or a little cheaper from a local dealer.
    Now, The Boston Grand Voyagers were quite nice as well as the Outriggers from Infinity.