What's new

2001 SE in the works!!! (1 Viewer)

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I thought they changed Saturn to Jupiter to simply things a little. I think I read that in the old "Making of 2001: A Space Odyssey" book I have.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

To add confusion; Clarke, in the forward to "2010" had to point out that the book was a sequel to the movie "2001" and not the novelization since the book version of "2001" had Discovery going to Saturn but all the action in "2010" (book and film) takes place around Jupiter and her moons.

My guess this was done because more people were familiar with the film version of "2001" and the fact that Jupiter's properties allowed for its creation as a second sun with appropriate help (I seem to remember Carl Sagan calling Jupiter "a failed sun").

Eric F

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sure he said he was writing parts of the screenplay and the book (2001) at the same time.

Also, the USSR is gone by the time 2010 comes around, even though they are a driving force in the novel- this is also reflected in 3001.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Craig S wrote:

I've got that beat:

In addition to owning the Criterion Laser box, I also have the Criterion CLV version as well - it was my first Laserdisc purchase and the reason I got into LaserDiscs at all. I wanted to own 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY in widescreen, and LaserDisc was the only way to accomplish that back the early '90s.

In DVD I have the old MGM version and the newer Kubrick Collection edition.

Yes, I'll be lining up for a new one, too.

Soundtrack albums: I lost count!

Harry

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

I don't remember Clark saying that in the book but I do remember Douglas Trumble saying it was because they couldn't do Saturn properly in an interview in Fantastic Films #3 1977.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
george kaplan wrote:

As a huge fan of this film, I couldn't help but be excited while standing in line at an airport terminal in the year 2001 and finding a supply of "Pan Am" luggage tags. During the year 2001, there was indeed a Pan Am, though it bore little resemblance to the giant airline on the '60s.

Still - it WAS there!

Harry

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

The Criterion CAV is the only version I own and was the first Criterion I bought. I held off for so long because I was hoping for some sort of DVD SE. The supplements on the LD hinted that there was some "stuff" out there that could be used in a DVD SE and I hope this new announced version will not disappoint.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
One other bit of trivia... When MGM signed an agreement with Cinerama Inc. to make movies in the process, there were 5 films scheduled. Only two were made in 3 Camera Cinerama... "HTWWW" and "The Wonderful World Of The Brothers Grimm". Kubrick was initally interested in making the film in authentic Cinerama but after discussions with his special effex team it was decided that it couldn't be done. The reason was that many of the space ships were horizontal in nature and would look poor when they were spread across the deeply curved screen and intersected the join lines. Also you could not pan the camera rig up or down on its axis, only raise or lower it. It all had to do with the focus and other technical requirements with the system. So the film was shot in 70mm. No doubt real Cinerama is pretty spectacular, even with its faults but it just wouldn't have worked. Also MGM spent so much money on the first two 3 Camera films they became gun-shy on doing any more.
Oh yes, besides "2001" the other films made by MGM in 70mm and "Presented In Cinerama" were "Grand Prix" and "Ice Station Zebra".

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Ed,

If you're offended by the language in this thread, then I have one piece of advice for you. Whatever you do, don't watch FULL METAL JACKET! :eek:

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

All the flights I've been on have had a fair amount of male flight attendants.

Unless you meant something else.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Well, jeez! Thanks, for caring. Hope you can understand when watching a movie that starts off at Marine boot camp, my tolerance for langauge increases dramatically. While I see no reason at all too be rude & crude on a thread about 2001.
Obviously, my problem. Sorry too burden you all with it.

Oh yeah, and by the way... FMJ ROCKS!!!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

One which will strike many British viewers concerns the casting of Leonard Rossiter (the male Russian scientist on the space station). In the 1970s, Leonard Rossiter starred in two sitcoms that were very successful in the UK - Rising Damp (in which he played a sleazy landlord called Rigsby) and The Rise and Fall of Reginald Perrin (in which he played an office worker who eventually fakes his own death so he can begin a new life). For many Brits, seeing what looks like Rigsby speaking Russian causes the movie to lose a little of its gravitas at this point.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

I have to be honest, I scanned up this page and I don't really see much swearing...of course I might have swore like a dockhand on page 2 for all I remember, what with all the drugs and Rock & Roll us young hooligans participate in...;)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've been monitoring this thread all along (obviously), and I have no problems with any of the language in it nor with any of the posts. If anyone has a complaint, just e-mail me or send me a PM (preferably).

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
MMM...Drencrom and cookies before bed...

..stays crunchy even in Synthemesc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks