What's new

2001 SE in the works!!! (1 Viewer)

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
That is a 1993 re-recording with Jerry Goldsmith conducting the National Philharmonic Orchestra. It's a great album, certainly a favorite of mine, but to hear the original tracks would be a dream come true.

Neil

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The Alex North score was never cut and synched to the final film, so it would be a huge task to do so now. The Kubrick Estate would never allow Warner to do so, anyhow. But it would be great if the original tracks were released in an Alex North boxed set.

2001 is one of my most favourite films, so this is great news for me. I'll definately buy the SE. I just hope that Warner includes the original 1967/68 behind-the-scenes documentary. It's a stunning look at the making of the film. Great footage. I saw it in the early 90s on some cable channel and I have always wanted to see it again.

Clockwork Orange could also benefit from an intelligently produced special edition DVD.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
This is indeed great news. Hopefully the new 2001 DVD (and the new Strangelove DVD) will sell well and convince Warner to give the same treatment to all the Kubrick movies that they own. I'm sure that Leon Vitali and others close to Kubrick could provide a wealth of information for such releases. Anamorphic 1.66:1 video for certain titles would also be greatly appreciated.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
I wouldn't get any hopes up for any new anamorphic transfers in the WB re-issues so long as Leon Vitali remains involved.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Didn't Kubrick demand that for the Criterion LD SEs of Dr. Strangelove and 2001 they remove the supplements relating to the film itself and only leave the supplements about the Cold War and about space?

Heinz W

Second Unit

2001 doesn't need a new transfer, but rather a new authoring/encoding job. The transfer is great on the latest DVD IMO. It just needs the EE removed.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz

I wasn't implying that I was hoping for a box set of the two movies. The movies are just to disparate to be grouped together. They're two completely different animals. I still enjoy "the other movie" (and 2001 has been my favorite movie period for years and years) and was simply saying that if Warners ever wants to do an upgrade to it (coughcoughanamorphic), now would be a super time.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Alex North's unused score for 2001 was once available on Varese-Sarabande a few years ago. It was a re-recording and not the peformance he recorded for the film. While on the subject of unused material I believe I once read that a narration was written for the film. I don't remember whether it was actually recorded or not.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Ravi,

In the case of Dr. Strangelove, Kubrick asked that the early draft screenplay (presented as a series of text screens) be removed. I believe the CAV edition (with supplements) was taken out of print, while the movie-only CLV remained available.

I am aware of no such request re: 2001. As far as I know, both CAV and CLV editions remained available until Criterion lost the rights to the Turner catalog, and no supplements were ever removed from the CAV edition.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member

Well, Barry Lyndon, Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut have been broadcast on HD in 16:9. I recall Vitali saying that Kubrick's films would be broadcast in HD with black bars on the side.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
This is veering off-topic, but 3001 was a horrible book and would make a terribly boring movie. Just my opinion, of course.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
I'm still waiting for Lolita to be in the correct aspect ratio on DVD. The Criterion laserdisc supervised by Kubrick was presented exactly the same as Dr Strangelove - parts of the movie were 1.33:1, others were at a slightly narrower aperture, around 1.66:1. Seeing as the Kubrick estate supervised the remasters, I'm still surprised it had the standard 1.66:1 mattes slapped on for the whole thing.

Also, Barry Lyndon is around 1.55:1 on the current remastered DVD, not 1.66:1, presenting the film at the full aperture that Kubrick shot it at, so 16x9 enhancement, in terms of actual resolution gained, may be negligible.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Oh, yes...we wouldn't want to risk anyone possibly casting the accusation of boredom on the odyssey series.;)

I rather liked 3001 but then again I liked 2061 which many fans also dismiss as boring and pointless...I also liked the RAMA sequels.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
I knew I was setting myself up for something by bringing up the word "boredom". :) I still think that by far, 3001 was the worst of the Odyssey books (and I loved all of the Rama books, esp. Rama II)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Are they going to add new CG effects to this SE? Because if not it would be a total waste of time!!!

;)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
There will be. Mike Judge is making it....

OH! You mean THAT 3001! Nevermind. ;)

Zen: That's a very cute, yet off-topic picture. I like it! :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks