2001 Panasonic calibration info

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnnyG, Jul 30, 2001.

1. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I thought I'd start a thread chronicling my findings while doing some more in-depth calibration on a PT-51HX41. This info should apply equally to the PT-47's and the rest of their 2001 HD line.
    1. In the service menu, you can adjust SUB-contrast/brightness/color/tint seperately for NTSC and non, with some interesting details. The sub-Color control has two memories; one affect 1080i and 480p, the other affects everything else (all input types). For the sub-Tint control, one memory affects 1080i only, the other everything else. I find it's possible to balance all component inputs fairly accurately, but S-Video and composite need to to have the user Color and Tint controls turned down by about 5-6 ticks. This isn't that much, so it's probably okay to just leave them be.
    3. Although I've written about balancing the color decoder before, I find that it's just not all that perfect afterall. The parameter for green (R-Y_A) never seems to have enough adjustment space (needs to go below zero), sooo you have to raise the color control to get green up, but then red is too high again so you'll probably always end up with some red push. The factory default for the R-Y_A parameter does leave a bit of wiggle room, so I recommend dropping R-Y_A to zero first, then dropping the color parameter until green is at zero on the color decoder check pattern. Then bring blue up with B-Y_G. You will still have some red push and unless you are willing to sacrifice green saturation, that's the way it must be.
    4. Focus is a snap on the 4:3 sets at least! What I did was remove the back cover and slide out the black shelf. I then took a regular piece of 8.5x11 paper and stuck some tape on the corners. I then reached into the cabinet and stuck the paper in the middle of the back of the screen. From the rear, the focus knobs are staring you right in the face, so it's a simple matter of pulling up the convergence grid, choosing the color you want, and looking in at the paper as you adjust the focus. A piece of cake! Electrical focus is identical to Toshiba.
    [Edited last by JohnnyG on August 09, 2001 at 03:14 PM]

2. Jeff Leigh

Jeff Leigh Agent

At least on the PT-47s, you can't adjust the service menu color items when sending a 480P signal, very strange. On my set, I used the service menus to clean up my picture on cable and then used the settings on my RP91 to fix the picture for 480P component input. Looks good to me and, at least on my set, I was able to get the colors all balanced. I still can't tell exactly where they are on the Avia Color Decoder screen, but red is way down from where it was.
    I don't think there are separate settings for s-video and component inputs on the PT-47s, but I'll check next time I'm in the service menus.
    ------------------

3. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

I've confirmed that I'm an idiot! See below.
    [Edited last by JohnnyG on August 09, 2001 at 03:15 PM]

4. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

Can you explain this for a newbie like myself? My set (47") arrives next week. How should I go about doing this? IF it can be done this way with the 47"??? Anyone confirm yet?
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

5. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

6. Jeff Leigh

Jeff Leigh Agent

On my PT-47 I can't get to the color controls when sending a 480P signal. Not sure about the s-video vs. component.
    ------------------

7. Andriy Zolotoiy

My PT47 arrived yesterday. I confirm Jonny's statement that you can adjust sub-settings in service menu for different inputs. I've set color and tint for TV and component 1 to different levels and both look fine now.
    ------------------
    Andriy Zolotoiy
    My HT: http://members.home.net/azolotoiy

8. Rod U

Rod U Auditioning

OK, this is frustrating the hell out of me. I also have a PT-47wx49, and would like to keep different service values for tint and color for each input to the TV. I've tried changing register values while watching different inputs, but when I then switch over to another input, the register values are the same. In other words, if each input kept its own register settings, then shouldn't the same register show different values as I switch between input modes? The same value just stays on the screen. Every register change seems global.
    Instead, I would think the TV keeps different register settings for each source MODE, meaning 480i, 480p, and 1080i. I can't test this theory since I don't have a digital decoder nor a progressive DVD player. But even so, this is NOT the same as keeping different settings for each INPUT. Please tell me I'm wrong. I'm getting REAL tired of changing tint, color, and brightness everytime I switch between DVD and Satellite. Thanks.

9. Matt_Stevens

I think somebody that has done needs to write DETAILED instructions for us sheep, as not all of us have experience with sub-menu's and such. [​IMG] My set arrives next week and I will want to set it up right the first time, without struggling.
    Can anyone list the sub-menu defaults and then what they changed them too? We would greatly appreciate it.
    ------------------

10. Andriy Zolotoiy

Procedure, probably, wasn't very clear. Through service menu you can't adjust 480p controls, so set user controls for DVD 480p. Then go into service menu and adjust sub-settings for TV 480i - this seems not to affect DVD input.
    So, now TV and DVD should decent and you don't have to change user settings.
    If JohnnyG had something else in mind, he'll let us know.
    ------------------
    Andriy Zolotoiy
    My HT: http://members.home.net/azolotoiy

11. Matt_Stevens

OK, so I do ALL my adjustments with my 480p DVD player hooked to this baby, get happy, then, when done, go into the sub-menu and do more adjustments for the 480i inputs?
    ------------------

12. Jeff Leigh

Jeff Leigh Agent

Well my testing on my PT47 showed that the service menu registers affect both 480I and 480P and that there aren't separate settings for s-video and component.
    JohnnyG is using last years model, so I'm not sure how valid that is. I think Panasonic may have changed a few things.
    Andriy, it looks like you had luck setting different setting s for s-video and component. What's the trick?
    ------------------

13. Matt_Stevens

OK, I was at Sears today in the service menu for the 47" Panny and there was only one set of controls. So wassup with that?
    ------------------

14. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Jeff, I'm using a current model year set, but it's a PT-51HX41. I've just ordered a PT-47WX51 for demo, so I'll know more when it gets here, but I have a feeling you're doing something wrong. You can't see the registers for 480p (they're greyed out in the service menu), so I don't know how you could say they are the same values as for 480i.
    DanG, the Canadian distributor for Sencore is Tradeport Electronics in Concord (http://www.tradeport.on.ca/). If you're looking for a CP288, mention that you're comparing it to the CA-1 and they'll match the price.
    [Edited last by JohnnyG on August 09, 2001 at 03:18 PM]

15. Jeff Leigh

Jeff Leigh Agent

Little misunderstanding here, I didn't say that values for 480I and 480P are the same. What I meant was that the settings in 480I affected both 480I and 480P.
    And I still don't see how you get different settings for TV, s-video, and component. When I change the values in 480I mode, it most definitely does affect TV, s-video, and component (480I and 480P).
    JohnnyG, are you actually able to see different settings when you change between input types? On my set for example, if I change the COLOR setting, the new setting shows up on all input types. What does the service menu look like when you change input types? On my set, 480I is highlighted for TV. 480I and 4:3 are highlighted for s-video and component. 480P and 4:3 are highlighted for progressive component.
    ------------------

16. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Wow...is this ever going to be a lesson in humility!
    I swear that I had checked and double checked this info before posting, but I obviously didn't check enough.
    As it turns out, there are only two memories for sub-Color and sub-Tint, but the way they break down is very weird. One memory (location 03 56) affects Color in NTSC only (all input types) and the other (03 55) affects 480p and 1080i. One Tint memory (03 57) affects 1080i ONLY, the other (03 58) affects everything else!
    The color decoder controls have two memories - 1080i and everything else.
    I was able to get a reasonably good balance for all inputs over component video, but now the S-Video (and I'm sure composite) is off - not by too much though (user color down to about 25 and tint down to about 28).
    My humblest apologies to those I've misled.
    Now to 'damage control' all my previous posts [​IMG]
    ------------------

17. Jeff Leigh

Jeff Leigh Agent

Wow, that is very strange. Don't know what Panasonic was thinking. It seems even stranger since the COLOR setting that affects 480P can't even be accessed in that mode.
    ------------------

18. Matt_Stevens

John,
    So, will S-Video more lore or less colorful than DVD? I ask because I can adjust color in my DVD player (Malata N996) and can always move it up or down a couple of clicks. This way I don't have wildly different looking pictures from different sources.
    ------------------

19. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Matt, on this set, for S-Video, the levels are correct with the user settings at Color 22 and Tint 29 (they are 31/31 with component). For composite, they are correct at 25/26. Brightness and contrast don't need adjusting on my set.
    ------------------

20. Matt_Stevens

How about for component? I don't plan on using any composite sources. Everything will be S-Video into my receiver, into the Panny, 'cept the Malata, which will be 480p component direct into the Panny.
    The set is due today. They called last night to confirm. I hope like hell the rain doesn't come until after they are gone, otherwise I am screwed and will have to wait until Wed. [​IMG]
    ------------------