2001 on DVD!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Lang, Nov 29, 2001.

1. Thomas Lang

Thomas Lang Extra

Some time ago there were some talking about 2001 beeing re-released in cinemas this christmas followed by a new DVD release next year! Is this true or is the newly remastered version from Warner the version to get?
    Any information will be greatly appreciated since I really need to add this title to my collection very soon [​IMG]

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    The latest DVD - released this past June and marked "Digitally Restored and Remastered" - is great. No extras to speak of, but a very good anamorphic transfer and outstanding 5.1 sound. I imagine that one day there will be a special edition of this film, but this DVD is worth having now, anyway. Also, go and see the 70mm version that's touring the world right now. You will not have a better experience in theaters this year...

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

What Peter said, in toto.

There was a rumor earlier this year about an SE, but all the reliable sources are saying that the current DVD is it. And, of course, it's a must-own.

As for the previous DVD, though the transfer was subpar (and non-enhanced), its extras make the disc worth owning--specifically, the 1968 talk given by Arthur C. Clarke, the original theatrical trailer, etc. If you can find it, get that one too.

4. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

OK Jack, I've been holding out to get ONE copy of 2001 for my collection, which version/edition should it be ? As you have the nice 2001 signiture, you should be the authority [​IMG].

5. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

I own the Kubrick set version and the Creative Design Art Limited Edition (which comes with the remastered score CD, film senitype, and booklet, but NO DVD extras). I suggest you own both, each for it's own treasures of one of the greatest films.

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I am a bit surprised that an "extras" disc is not available with behind-the-scenes, etc. This goes for all of Kubrick's films...

7. Coressel

Coressel Supporting Actor

Yes, it would be lovely if they would release more Kubrick behind-the-scenes stuff. I'd gobble it up in an instant.

Jan Harlan mentioned on Charlie Rose earlier this year that they have hours of footage that they didn't include on the current set.

8. Patrick Mirza

Patrick Mirza Supporting Actor

The restored 70mm print of 2001 is playing right now at The Castro in SF. My wife and I saw it on opening day last Wednesday and, aside from a few projector stoppages at the beginning, it was a great time.

Detail and color were fantastic!

I think the Castro is one of only three theaters that will play this print in the whole country.

It plays for only two more weeks.