What's new

2001 ltd-ed box set (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I just got the 2001: A Space Odyssey Limited Edition Box Set. This is the silver box that includes a 70mm limited edition film frame senitype. I don't know what the technical definition of "senitype" is, but based on the context I assumed it meant it was a film cell. Is that correct? On the back of the card with the film cell and the blowup picture of the scene in the cell, it says this:
quote: ...The film footage is an actual 70 millimeter film frame reproduced from the original motion picture film...[/quote]
What, exactly, does that really mean? Is it a copy of a film frame from the original master film, or is it a piece of film cut out from one of the film sets sent out to theaters, or what.
The thing about it was I figured that the picture you actually got inside the box would most likely be different from the sample shown on the description paper on the back of the box. Yet it is exactly the same scene, a shot of the Earth on the left, a space station in the center, and the shuttle approaching the station from the lower right corner.
Also, inside the box there was a little brochure for other similar collector sets, including the movies Clockwork Orange and Full Metal Jacket in the same style (silver box, senitype, etc.), and another version in a black box called the Signature Series, which features a hand-signed senitype or screenplay. This series includes movies Perfect Storm, Matrix, Exorcist, Bullitt, and Blade Runner. Has anybody got any of these, and what do you think of them?
Finally, inside the shrinkwrap for this 2001 set, on the back side of the box, is a loose paper that explains what exactly it is you are getting. If any of you have gotten these types of sets, what have you done with these papers? They don't fit inside the box. I assume I'm supposed to throw it away, but I never throw anything away.
------------------
-Justin "JJR512" Rebbert
swouttakes.jpg

Join the JJR512.com Genome@home Team and help cure what ails you. (Click here for more info.)
Contact me: [email protected] | ICQ: 52675695 | Private Message
[Edited last by JustinR on October 23, 2001 at 08:57 PM]

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Justin,
I also have the limited edition of 2001 and yup my piece of film is exactly the same as yours and the one pictured on the box. Too bad, but oh well.
as for the paper on the back.. toss'er in the pooper :)
Greg

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
It's easy to tell if a piece of 70mm is from a film print or not. Are there 4 tannish-brown stripes on the sides of the film (two on each side flanking the sprocket holes)? If yes, then it's a piece from a release print. If no, then it's a pretty piece of marketing, nothing more.
BTW, the tannish-brown stripes I refer to are the magnetic audio tracks found on 7mm release prints.
-Lyle J.P.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I have The Exorcist Signature Series Box Set and could'nt be happier. I got this as a sealed box set off eBay and thought it was just the Deluxe Version without the signature. To my surprise it was the Signature Series which included:
The Exorcist-25th Ann. DVD
8 Lobby Cards
50 page book on the movie
CD movie soundtrack
Numbered,limited Senitype with Linda Blair's signature in silver ink
Deluxe box
I paid $49.95 plus shipping even though these signature sets usually go for close to $200.
Creative Design Art does a very nice job with these box sets.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
A seritype is a piece of film made just for the box sets. It is not taken from a genuine theatrical reel, and each one is identical...buy 10 box sets, get 10 identical frames.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Would you believe it? But after all this time, I still have yet to take the shrinkwrap off my boxset. Instead, I look at the standard Warner snappercase edition. The other's a collectible I'll never open.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks