1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

2001 is Being Re-Released!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil S. Bulk, Sep 20, 2001.

1. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    According to this article from Variety, 2001: A Space Odyssey will be re-released with 70mm prints to select cities. There arent' that many theaters booked to show it, but I'm sure many of us will make the trek to see this. I know I will!
    Neil
    ------------------
    "Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

Great news. I hope I will be able to go.
    ~T

3. Matt_Fairwalker

Matt_Fairwalker Auditioning

I would like to see this film with all the footage that was cut for wide theatrical release way back in 1968. Unlikely though, because Warner Bros is as stubborn as Paramount at releasing films with additional footage.

4. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

5. Ugo Scarlata

Ugo Scarlata Stunt Coordinator

[begin rant]
    Great! This announcement comes only weeks after Toronto's only working 70mm theater closed its doors. Earlier this year, many were speculating that the 70mm re-release of 2001 would make it to Toronto. And of course I would have been first in line for such a screening.
    But now, even if Warner had initially intended on bringing it to Toronto, that option is no longer viable. It is absolutely infuriating to think that North America's third largest movie market does not have a single 70mm theater! [​IMG]
    [/end rant]
    Cheers.
    ------------------
    [ http://ugo.scarlata.it/?pid=about&cid=3

6. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

7. Matt Perkins

Matt Perkins Stunt Coordinator

8. Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris Supporting Actor

Uptown Theater, Washington, D.C. sometime in December. (And presumably ending its limited run just in time to make room for The Fellowship of the Ring. I might as well start looking for an apartment on Connecticut avenue.)
    My first visit to the Uptown was for 2001, ten years ago. The 70mm print, struck in 1981, looked and sounded beautiful to me. The restored version should be even better.
    My only warning is this: once you see this film on a screen like this, you'll never be able to bring yourself to watch it on video again, however magnificent your setup is. In the intervening years, I've been dutifully buying each new release of the film on DVD (MGM, Kubrick collection #1, Kubrick collection #2), but I've never watched any of the discs through. Somehow it seems wrong.
    --Jefferson Morris

9. Ugo Scarlata

10. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

What if anything does this portend for the supposed SE dvd of 2001 rumored to be released before the end of the year. I've held off buying the June release to see if this pans out, but it's hard. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

11. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

12. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

13. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Our faith in humanity can be restored.
    Los Angeles-area fans: Once the date for the Egyptian Theatre run is announced, be on the lookout for an invite posted here--I want SoCal HTFers to join me for a screening.
    I've seen this little movie in 70mm a number of times. I can tell you that while there's nothing else quite like seeing a good print in 70mm, the current DVD is quite engaging--mesmerizing even. In the end, it's the film itself that triumphs.
    This is good news.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

14. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    If there are no New York dates scheduled before December, I'm getting on the train or in the car and getting myself down to D.C. to see it. I'm taking no chances on missing it in 70mm!

15. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Peter: That's another thing I like about you! Whatever it takes to see a masterpiece the way The Great One intended, eh? JB
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

16. Ugo Scarlata

Thanks for the link Andre! That's exactly what I was looking for. (Guess I'll have to keep checking it regularly and hope that a 70mm screening will show up...)

17. Heinz W

Heinz W Second Unit

Absolutely we should set up meets! I will DEFINITELY drive to DC if I knew that fellow HTF'ers were there with me. An audience that will appreciate this film is exactly what would make a theater viewing exceptional.
    When dates and/or locations have been confirmed we should set these up. As much as I would like to see this with Jack and hear his insight as one who experienced this from the beginning I'm afraid traveling to LA is just a little too far to go (but only by a hair! [​IMG]). Nevertheless, DC is easily within acceptable driving distance for me and will have to do.
    So, what say you folks within range of DC? I would like a general idea of the interest in doing this to gauge whether or or not I should start a topic re a meet when we know the details.

18. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    I would drive to DC to see this.
    [​IMG]
    Neil
    ------------------
    "Conspiracy theorists don't live on the same flat Earth as the rest of us." -- astronomer Stephen Maran