What's new

2001 in NYC: Intermission and Entr'acte missing! (1 Viewer)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
When our Unheard Beethoven reconstruction of the Macbeth Overture was played in September by the National Symphony at the Kennedy Center, the Washington Post critic (not the same one as the 2001 review) panned it without even hearing it; in his concluding paragraph he even boldly admitted doing so. I couldn't believe the gall of a critic saying something like that, nor the attitude of an editor who would leave such an admission in a review. That, combined with a needless and blatantly anti-Semitic remark in the review makes me wonder if anyone's awake there.

Bill Huelbig

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Huelbig
Just got back from "2001" at the Astor Plaza. There were more people in the audience tonight (a Thursday) than there were on opening night last Friday and on Saturday afternoon.

Looks to me like the faithful are spreading the Word. Now if only WB would spring for some more and bigger ads, we might get a full house.

To Jack Briggs and all the other Southern California HTFers: the day you've been waiting for has come at last. Enjoy yourselves!

--Bill

Mitty

Supporting Actor
That Washington Post guy can't be serious, can he?
BTW, those of us in markets which have yet to have a sniff of this movie are crying big crocodile tears for those of you who didn't get to experience the intermission and entr'acte. ;)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Everything was intact at the Egyptian.

I had forgotten how great movies look in 70mm. However, I can't say that watching 2001 in 70mm was an impressive experience. It was just good.

~T

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, my time is coming tonight. And tomorrow. And next weekend.

One of the more impressive screenings I've enjoyed of this film was the 70mm print that ran at the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood back in 1996; it was like being a 2001 virgin all over again--mostly by virtue of the marvelous six-track sound.

What makes it so impressive in 70mm is not so much the size as the improvement in resolution. It truly is an experience.

(On the other hand, I sat through three screenings of a perfectly atrocious 70mm print back in 1971--all those scratches and inept splices looked all the worse due to the larger screen.)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Well, I can't see it tonight, Jack (A very nice lady friend has invited me to dinner instead), but I'm hoping to see it next weekend. :)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I'm sure if I had seen 2001 less times, I would call the experience impressive. I hope everyone enjoys the screening more than I did.

BTW, next month the Egyptian will have a Stanley Kubrick retropective.

~T

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, Robert, we may yet have a chance to hook up next weekend. A lady friend, you say? Instead of 2001? Man, get your priorities straight! :)

John Stockton

Second Unit
I had forgotten how great movies look in 70mm.
I just want to add that only films that are photographed in 65 MM (Lawrence Of Arabia) or 35 MM horizontal (Vertigo) can do full justice to 70 MM prints. 70 MM Films blown up from regular 35 MM (Titanic) are not true 70 MM in my opinion.
2001 was filmed in 65 MM Super Panavision and the 70 MM print I saw at the Castro theatre in San Francisco, looked absolutely gorgeous. The picture blows the doors off any 35 MM or DLP projection, anyone has ever seen, or will see.
I wonder sometimes what this industry is thinking by abondoning 65 MM Photography. :frowning:

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You got that right, John! They're threatening to regress even further resolution wise by abandoning film!

Users who are viewing this thread