What's new

2001: A Space Odyssey is a 4K/UHD Release possible? (1 Viewer)

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Scheider, Mirren, Lithgow, Balaban, Dullea, Elya Baskin, and the irreplaceable Douglas Rain contribute greatly to make 2010: The Year We Make Contact what it is. I've always loved it since I saw it opening night in a mall theater in 1984 with what was new-at-the-time "stereo sound". Hyams did a good job of making a sequel to a film that is impossible to make a sequel to while still invoking the wonder of it all without cribbing any of Kubrick's style whatsoever.

"Piece of pie!"

2010+russian+plus.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I met Keir Dullea once and had a chance to ask one question. I decided to ask about 2010. I probably shouldn't have. He was kind and could tell that I liked the movie and made an effort to be nice about it, but he didn't rate it highly. It was more of a paycheck gig for him and he said that it lacked all of the majesty that made 2001 great, but on the plus side, makeup technology improved so much between films that his "old man" makeup only took a couple of hours compared to the half day or more it took to do in the 60s.

I saw a 35mm print of it about ten years ago, print was in great shape and was a lot of fun.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Notice when you watch ST:TMP how low the lighting is in the bridge, and the presence of the split-diopter lens (that's where you see Shatner's head in focus in closeup with everything else around his head out of focus, and then almost a split-screen of a wide shot of the bridge to the left or right of it. The lighting had to be so low on that set to accommodate things like the looped films that they couldn't get enough depth of field to do that shot with a regular lens. Nowadays, they have faster film stocks and digital sensors so it wouldn't be an issue.

Nowadays they'd add in all of the bridge displays digitally, in post production. ;)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Is there any place in North America where they project in Cinerama? I know there is a museum in England that does.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I can't make it, but the last time I saw 2001 in 35mm, it was a really good print. Hopefully that's the one they'll have gotten for tonight.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Josh, I watched 2010 last night. I have the blu ray. :) I was beat up from a hard workout, so I was tired. But I managed to see the whole movie.

Neatness, its a good quality! This time I really paid attention to the quality of the sets on Discovery and they just do not match what the builders accomplished in the 1960's for 2001. The pod has poor finish quality as well as the control panel for the Discovery helm. You could see the paint brush marks and the poor workmanship of the set. And HAL's face plate doesn't match the original, it looks too wide. I'm not putting the movie down, but I could see the craftsmanship wasn't there from either time or budget constraints or both.

Interesting to watch after having seen Alien Covenant the night before. I still think its a good movie. The ideas of Artificial Intelligence is explored in both films.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Josh, I watched 2010 last night. I have the blu ray. :) I was beat up from a hard workout, so I was tired. But I managed to see the whole movie.

Neatness, its a good quality! This time I really paid attention to the quality of the sets on Discovery and they just do not match what the builders accomplished in the 1960's for 2001. The pod has poor finish quality as well as the control panel for the Discovery helm. You could see the paint brush marks and the poor workmanship of the set. And HAL's face plate doesn't match the original, it looks too wide. I'm not putting the movie down, but I could see the craftsmanship wasn't there from either time or budget constraints or both.
I'm not at all surprised.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I agree, it's not as good a looking movie. The sets aren't as impressive, and the effects sometimes aren't as good as what Kubrick did years early.

Then again, Kubrick had five years and practically no studio oversight. The 2010 novel was published in 1982 and the movie came out in 1984, and I image Peter Hyams had some budget restrictions compared to Kubrick's freedom. I don't think it ruins the movie on a story level, but the future does seem less futuristic :)

Have you read the book? There's a terrific subplot about a Chinese crew that beats Leonov to Jupiter, and it would have been cool if they had been able to include that in the movie.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I agree that the production level wasn't as high at Kubrick was allowed. One of my favorite designers worked on 2010, Syd Mead. He designed the Leonov exterior and interior and the hardware. So I thought those sets were top notch. The production designer watching over the whole show just wasn't able to have the resources for Discovery. Syd Mead designed V'Ger.

That said, the story is what always keeps me coming back. I agree with you wholeheartedly. And some memorable dialogue. And about the novel, I did read it way back before the movie came out. I enjoyed the book a lot. I guess they had to trim the story down to fit 2 hours and the competing China crew had to be cut.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It probably didn't help that Kubrick destroyed all the Discovery sets and a lot of the plans to keep it from being reused in b-movies. If you consider that it's recreated from frame grabs, that's sorta impressive.

I love the contrast in looks between Discovery and Leonov. Discovery seems designed to make a statement, Leonov looks designed to get the job done. It adds to the in-movie constrast between the Americans and the Russians.

One of the Discovery models from 2010 is hanging at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, I got to see it a couple times.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I actually saw 2010 in the theaters... before I had ever seen 2001. I really liked it and didn't have trouble following it at all. Of course, once I saw 2001, especially once it was released letterboxed and I had read the book, there was no doubt which was the superior film. Still, I enjoy the Hyams film for what it is.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I think you can enjoy 2001 and 2010 as separate movies on their own. They both have facets to enjoy. Interesting you saw 2010 first.

Josh, that's very cool you saw a Discovery model at that museum. I looked the museum up. I guess the exhibit is over, though I doubt I'll be in that part of the country soon. One of the things I thought would be cool to own is the red Djinn chairs used in the Space Station sequence. I think those are parts of any 2001 museum exhibit. :)

http://www.filmandfurniture.com/201...gh-product-placement-in-2001-a-space-odyssey/

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I guess the exhibit is over, though I doubt I'll be in that part of the country soon.

The model that I saw is part of the museum's regular collection, so it should always be there - it's not huge, I want to say it's maybe three feet long. In same collection, very close by, is the model of the Tyrell Corporation building from Blade Runner - you can see all the little wires used to power the zillion little lights installed within. Pretty cool stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation625
Recent bookmarks