What's new

2001: A Space Odyssey is a 4K/UHD Release possible? (1 Viewer)

marshman1138

Stunt Coordinator
Someone please tell me that Warner is working on a 50th Anniversary (04/02/2018) presentation for this film (maybe with Trumbull's participation. And a new scan. And the missing 17 minutes.). Just wishing out loud....

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There are no "missing 17 minutes." Changes were being made as the film was opening. There were lifts, trims, as well as additions for clarity.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
There are no "missing 17 minutes." Changes were being made as the film was opening. There were lifts, trims, as well as additions for clarity.

Okay, but I think we can all agree that this film is screaming for something better than the 2007 Blu-ray. If a film ever deserved a full-on bursting-at-the-seems special edition with unparalleled A/V specs, this is it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I had to chuckle a little when I read "additions for clarity." My main reaction to the movie when seeing theatrically for the first time WTF? I was confused.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I had to chuckle a little when I read "additions for clarity." My main reaction to the movie when seeing theatrically for the first time WTF? I was confused.

The "Jupiter Mission - 18 Months Later" title card was added, and that does bring some clarity to that section of the film :)

It's not that the Trumbull documentary hasn't surfaced, it's that Trumbull proposed the documentary to Warner who decided not to go ahead with financing it and making it. So, as far as I know, it simply does not exist. I wish it did.

I would love to see the trimmed footage, especially if watching it integrated into the movie was available as a bonus feature - but the main feature should be the roadshow presentation that's been the primary version released since DVD. (I would also not be opposed to an option that allows you to view the film without the intermission break, since theaters showing the movie had the option of showing it that way.)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I don't care about whatever he excised. In fact, it would do what most of this kind of thing does - make the film a lesser thing once people have seen it.

I saw The Shining on opening day at the Chinese here in LA - it had its long scene with Anne Jackson, Shelly Duvall and the boy at the end. The audience just sat there and sat there and then if finally cut to the photo. Kubrick had it removed the next day - they were bicycling the prints into Warner Bros. And I'm not sure anyone has seen it since nor should they have to.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Should they "have" to? Of course not. I don't think anyone is advocating for that, anywhere. Would it be nice to have included as a bonus? Absolutely.

trevanian

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
I don't care about whatever he excised. In fact, it would do what most of this kind of thing does - make the film a lesser thing once people have seen it.

I saw The Shining on opening day at the Chinese here in LA - it had its long scene with Anne Jackson, Shelly Duvall and the boy at the end. The audience just sat there and sat there and then if finally cut to the photo. Kubrick had it removed the next day - they were bicycling the prints into Warner Bros. And I'm not sure anyone has seen it since nor should they have to.

I don't know if it is still on the net, but ten years back there was a LA newspaper clipping with a letter from Jon Davidson (WAY before he was producing ROBOCOP) circa mid68 where he bemoans all the cuts made in some detail (he was there to see 2001 opening day, I guess), and that fits with what other folks I've talked with said -- that the cuts really DID hurt the film (not sure that adding the subtitle in midfilm made a big dif either way.)

Allansfirebird

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sean

Hmm, would some have said this in 1988 before the restored Lawrence of Arabia was released?

It's always fascinating to see the material that ended up on the cutting room floor. I've always held the opinion that this material gives a better appreciation for a movie by seeing how it was shaped into its final form.

Reactions: PMF

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Hmm, would some have said this in 1988 before the restored Lawrence of Arabia was released?

It's always fascinating to see the material that ended up on the cutting room floor. I've always held the opinion that this material gives a better appreciation for a movie by seeing how it was shaped into its final form.

I can only speak for me, but I don't like to see it. Every time I see these excised scenes, whether put back or as extras, it just kind of ruins things for me. I'm not talking about things like Once Upon a Time in America, where it was taken away from the director, I'm talking about movies where the director did the work and was happy with the final version. It's like watching what is called the censorship ending of Vertigo - I knew it existed because it was actually in the script that I have, but to see it? It ruins the movie and once having seen it I can't get it out of my head.

This also, for me, applies to Making Of featurettes - I really liked The Social Network - saw it twice - and then made the very bad mistake of watching the making of on the Blu-ray and it so made me hate everyone involved and the way in which that director works, that I literally could not watch the movie again.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter

I too saw The Shinning on opening day with the aforementioned scene and agree that the end of the film works better with that scene deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks