What's new

2001: A Space Odyssey HD (1 Viewer)

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
I'd probably favor the BD version, just because I prefer the controls on my PS3 remote to the controls on my XBOX 360 remote (by quite a lot). That said, if there's any price difference between the two, the lower priced version would probably win, since I'm a (supposedly) penny pinching student. Of course, in that vein, HD DVD might actually be favored, since the PS3 is the only piece of equipment I've ever purchased that seems to have had a noticeable impact on my electric bill. (Note: the jury is still out about this, but I stayed with my parents a few months ago for a while and they noticed a surge in their bill when I bought the PS3. I just assumed it was because I brought my entire system, but when I returned home, I noticed a jump in my bill also, and there was no other change that I'm aware of. I'll know for sure over the next few months. :frowning: )

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

As long as the menus are static and don't move or slide into place, my Samsung is fine. However when you get to menus like those on pirates, it becomes snail like. And the more menu options that pop up (ie getting to sub menus like chapters) the slower it gets.

Even the most elaborate menus on my A1 don't have this problem.

Doug

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
BD for me. I have a BD player due to the format having more of the titles I want.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

Again I can only speak to the models I owned and what I experienced.

In 10 months - ZERO playback issues with the PS3.

In 6 months - Probably 10 so far with the XA2. The latest aggravation being Heroes which I rented and gave up after experiencing problems with disc 2. Most of the errors seem to be non repeatable which is weird, twice I've had the machine quit playing the disc in the middle and I had to restart, then no problems after. Twice I've had to do a "hard reset" unplugging the power cord because the machine just completely froze, again played fine afterwards.

I'd say overall 75-80% of the HD DVD's have been error free which isn't bad but when given the choice on these duel format releases it's more logical (for me) to go with the 100% reliability track record.

Now that I've said all that and jinxed myself I'll probably start to be plagued by BD playback issues.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

Jim,

My experiences are identical to yours. I own the A2 and the PS3 and the PS3 is lightning fast in every respect. When I try to jump around the menus on my A2, there is almost half a second delay from the time I hit the button to the time I get a response on screen. It's very slow. I've also experienced occasional freeze-ups requiring a hard reset on the A2.

I'm almost afraid to jitnx myself as well, but the PS3 is about as close to perfection as it gets. The A2 is a sweet little machine for the price I paid, but the PS3 is built like the rock of Gibraltar.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
Well, I have the seemingly ancient XA1 and if the Dolby True HD track ends up better than the standard Dolby Digital - then HD DVD wins although having a PS3 as well means that if they are virtually the same in the audio dept. I think Blue Ray will have the edge - I only have optical out in use so that leaves me without any uncompressed audio for 5.1. I'll wait for some reviews before deciding. Should look great on the pj.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
For what it's worth, I've rented a couple dozen HD DVDs from NetFlix and had absolutely no problems with playback. (Maybe I've just been extremely lucky?)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I had problems with a combo, (on the SDdvd side of all things!) but I just seem to recall many posts at AVS complaining about netfilx rentals.

Aside from that, I'd much rather use my PS3 than my hd-a2 as it's MUCH quicker.

:)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

I'm glad it's not just me. The only drawback to the PS3 is the lack of a front panel LED and that it has to be well ventilated when in use. I've got a solid wood and glass enclosed cabinet which is great in keeping out the dust from my equipment but I do have to remember to leave the cabinet door open when I'm using the PS3 because of the heat.

I really do like the XA2 aside from the few playback errors. Aside from watching HD DVD's it's replaced my Oppo for watching upconverted DVD's.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

If you want to talk about delay, you should try the Pirates menus on the Samsung BD-P1000. You push the button and its sometimes as much as 2 seconds before anything happens, depending on how many sub menus are open at that point.

Doug

Flemming.K

Stunt Coordinator
This is one of my favourite movies, so I'll be getting both. Probably the sound and picture will be better on PS3 compared to my XE1, but that could change, when I get the firmware for 1080p/24 and 7.1 LPCM for the XE1.

Will be great to do a comparison.

Fritz Nilsen

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Fritz Nilsen
It would have to be HD DVD for me, as that's the only format I can play at the moment. I suspect that I'll still stay with HD DVD even once I have a BD player, just out of habit. Ceteris Paribus.

Ryan

Grip

I recently went Blu but I still pick HD DVD whenever I have a choice - just out of habit. I find the ruby red color very comforting.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

I have also both formats, but probably BD for me also. Toshiba is slower with certain basic things. I assume that both releases are pretty much identical (BD is using 50gb vs HD DVD 30gb, but I believe PCM takes more space..) when it comes to transfer.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Related question: There are both regular and "deluxe" HD editions of Full Metal Jacket, but neither Amazon nor the WB online store shows any difference beyond the cover art (even the price is the same). Anyone know what's in the Deluxe edition?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
And while I'm at it. . .anyone know whether the BD editions of The Shining and Clockwork Orange will include the extra features in the 2-disc SD DVD editions? (The Amazon listing for 2001 shows the back of the case, which lists the extra features, but no such luck for the other titles.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks