What's new

2001: A Space Odyssey HD (1 Viewer)

bigluigi

Second Unit
Real Name
Louis Primeau
Hd-DVD version for me. This baby gets the royal treatment and will be viewed only in my dedicated home theater on the A2. My PS3 lives in the family room because of fan noise and concerns about the life of my projector bulb. The Digital Bits might have a review of 2001 sometime in the near future.

Jon Moss

Stunt Coordinator

As with most other dual format titles from Warner, the same transfer will most likely be used on both formats.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I'm guessing that High-def Digest will probably have the review up first.

They usually do (assuming they get the disc a few days early).

Will*B

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Will
BD for menu speed and start-up. Simple.

I've no problem buying HD-DVDs (I went neutral a couple of months ago), but if a title is available on both, I'll always get the BD.

Really looking forward to these Kubrick titles.... (and Sopranos S6 II, Blade Runner..... it's going to be an expensive Winter!)

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
I have both the A2 and the PS3. The A2 isn't bad but the PS3 is much more preferable for several reasons. I have also run into several problems with HD-DVDs from Netflix, so I do like the extra coating on BD.

Nothing against HD-DVD, but with all else being equal I would much rather use the PS3.

Duncan Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
BD for me - I hate the lack of a resume function on HD-DVD

I also get annoyed by the awfully flimsy HDMI handshake on the A1

MarekM

Supporting Actor

even if used consistently and correctly, you will not get bit for bit same output due dialnorm, and that's why I will pick BD version...
(I am glad Sony turned off using dialnorm on their DolbyTrueHD tracks)

Marke

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member

That and the overall navigation speed makes the XA2 seem sluggish by comparison. It's nice but not really that big of a deal in the scheme of things.

Playback reliability is the big factor for me.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
It will be the HD DVD for me as my XA1 has more flexible sound options ( inc. Dolby True) than my Sammy 1200. Given a high quality source(hopefully), there is also a chance that the Dolby True track will be better than the uncompressed PCM ,if I understand how these formats work correctly.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Funny you bring that up Dave. In the month i have been renting from NetFlix i can tell the BD scratch resistant coating works. While i am sure BD discs dont get the same play a DVD does let me tell you i have had some scratched to hell DVDs, that played, while the BD have been mint. I even have had a few new release DVDs, i was the first to get it, scratched to hell already! While the worst i had on a BD is a small scuff. Just noticed, thats all.

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber

I also have never had a problem with HD-DVD's from Netflix. However, I have had problems with a couple Universal discs that I bought when first released, which had problems (Miami Vice, Children of Men)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
BD for me. No playback issues(Have had countless #'s with HD DVD) and better audio. I prefer PCM over True HD. So far the comparisons I've done have all favored PCM.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
And wouldn't the dialnorm argument be moot with 2001, since the dialogue is so sparse to begin with, and occurs during periods of relative silence?

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Owning a XA2 and Panasonic DMP-BD10a the only diff in speed is boot up. the Panny holds the edge by a good 10 to 15 seconds. Beyond that, menu performance is about equal, but a lot depends on the studios code. Some are clumsier than others. My personal preference in Warner's HD DVD menus. fast, easy and intuitive.

As far as playback reliability, it has been equal. On the BD side, my (now retired) Samsung had numerous playback issues, and certainly Universal's 'Children of Men' and one other Universal Combo (title slips my mind at this time) were problems, but since the Panny made it into my home, and Universal replaced the two problematic Combo disks, I have had 'no' playback issues at all, other than an occasional 'lip sync' problem on both formats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks