What's new

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Best Buy has the 4K listed on their website for the very reasonable $19.99. However--despite it showing as actually being in stock, all stores in my area are currently out, and I have been informed it is currently unavailable for order.
Make sure you're not looking at just the Steelbook edition as I see copies of the non-Steelbook available in my area.

Peter McM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I didn't expect to find a steelbook, as I know they're limited. I was hoping to find a standard package, which is what I was told can't be ordered at present.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
After months of patient waiting, I finally watched the UHD disc version of 2001 today in Dolby Vision.

Wow! Color rendering was fantastic and detail not to be believed. Like others, I opted for the 1968 original soundtrack which was most impressive. As I watched I marveled over the audio quality and the cinematography. Naturally, those two areas were NOT Oscar- nominated in 1968 if you can believe it.

A masterpiece finally gets the home video version it deserves, and I've owned it in every incarnation. This leaves them all in the dust picture and sound-wise.

Last edited:

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
After months of patient waiting, I finally watched the UHD disc version of 2001 today in Dolby Vision.

Wow! Color rendering was fantastic and detail not to be believed. Like others, I opted for the 1968 original soundtrack which was most impressive. As I watched I marveled over the audio quality and the cinematography. Naturally, those two areas were NOT Oscar- nominated in 1968 if you can believe it.

A masterpiece finally gets the home video version it deserves, and I've owned it in every incarnation. This leaves them all in the dust picture and sound-wise.
Not to mention Art Direction Makes you wonder what they were thinking

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Interestingly, James Cameron twice mentions 2001 as the reason he became a filmmaker in the latest edition of EMPIRE:

"The film that had the greatest single impact was when I was 14. It was 2001: A Space Odyssey, on a huge screen, a matinée. I had the place basically to myself. I picked the best seat in the house, which was front row of the balcony, dead centre. And watching the Star Gate sequence was like falling down this endless pit of energy. I'd never seen anything like it. I felt so overwhelmed by vertigo that I went outside, sat down on the kerb in broad daylight and puked. My brain just got turbo-charged by the power of the imagery. And I was drawing spacecraft for the next three years straight."

"2001: A Space Odyssey toggled a switch in my brain and turned me into a practitioner. I was 14 and had never picked up a camera before. But now I wanted to know how visual effects were made. So I got my dad's Super 8 camera and started building model kits of the spacecraft in the movie. I read the 2001 'making of' book probably ten times. And I figured out that if you painted tinfoil black, put a light bulb behind it and poked pinholes in it, you could make a pretty decent star field. My first epic space story had a budget of probably ten bucks. But it got me off my duff".

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That is interesting. Thanks for posting that. I was thinking this is from the book, 3001: The Final Odyssey. I thought that was a real page turner. But it’s not how I remember it happening, this is a different take on what happens to Poole.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Couple of problems though...
#1 the odds that Poole's body would have entered the Jovian system are slim to none. Even if the trajectory was correct at the time he died, the clip shows it was hundreds of years later and Jupiter would have moved on in it's orbit. You could make the case his body went off in another direction which just happened to be pointed at where Jupiter would be but I'm just saying that's a stretch at best.
#2 Poole's body would have been frozen solid near absolute zero and so likely would have shattered at impact
#3 This clip completely ignores the events of 2010, so I guess Poole's body doesn't believe that film is canon

Otherwise, I liked that Poole epilogue very much! I would have had Poole arrive at Saturn instead though to solve some of the issues mentioned above. I believe the original 2001 book centered on Saturn rather than Jupiter anyhow.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Craig wrote: "I would have had Poole arrive at Saturn instead though to solve some of the issues mentioned above. I believe the original 2001 book centered on Saturn rather than Jupiter anyhow."

The monolith featured at the climax of Arthur C. Clarke's 1968 novel 2001: A Space Odyssey is located on Iapetus, the third largest moon of Saturn. The Jupiter moon that Poole crashes on does resemble the surface of Saturn's Iapetus. Perhaps the creater of the video is doing a mash-up of both movie and novel.

Noir Norn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren
I finally added the 4k UHD edition to my collection thanks to Amazon's irresistible $11.99 offer.🤗
Screenshot_20230418-153523~2.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks