What's new

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Britton

Screenwriter
I wouldn’t be shocked if the iTunes version “self corrects” at some point, but I personally have no stake in it since I don’t own an Apple TV.

Last edited:

John Skoda

Second Unit
I found one copy of the steelbook at Best Buy yesterday after trying three stores. Along the way I also found a copy of the recalled version, but they wouldn't let me buy it. When it scanned at the register "DO NOT SELL. PRODUCT RECALLED" came up.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I’m more than happy with the current extensive extras.
I was hoping for a never-before-seen blooper reel:

a) The loosening of glue from an Ape prosthetic during the territorial stand-off.
b) Prototype foundations of the Monolith timbering to the ground from repeatedly being poked & pawed.
c) The Moon-Child protesting as to how his father had done fewer takes in "The Wizard of Oz".
d) The malfunction of the flight attendants anti-gravity boots and watching her fall flat on her butt.
e) Hal forgetting his lines.

Last edited:

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
My 2001 arrived while we were away, but I've now gotten it and have had a little time to skim through it. I do not have a 4K setup, so can only comment on the two Blu-ray discs. I'm somewhat impressed with the updated soundtrack. It sounds pretty good to these ears in the segments I listened to, but it's also nice to have the 1968 original track.

The infamous fade is as it should be, and IMHO, the colors on the Blu-ray look somehow more correct than the prior Blu-ray. I was always annoyed at the first spoken words scene, "Here you are sir, main level, please." As that scene played in the old Blu-ray, the faces of the attendant and Floyd looked just as pinky-purple as the attendant's uniform/dress. Now in the new Blu-ray, the dress is still the correct pink color, but the faces are a more natural flesh tone.

I'm sure I'm going to enjoy this when I get to sit down and watch it. If the future holds a 4K setup, I'm prepared for that now, too, but I'm in no hurry to spend money on anymore upgrades. And yet, I said the same about Blu-ray, but over time, it just happens.

Reactions: PMF

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
There probably won't be an official program, since officially, those discs were never released. You could probably get an exchange from the retailer you purchased it from. You might also try contacting WB's customer service directly to see if they'd do an exchange.

Honestly, I'm gonna keep my copy with the missing fade, and will pick up a fixed copy at some point when it's on sale inexpensively. It's my all-time favorite movie and I have different releases on VHS and DVD that I won't get rid of because of that. This just makes another interesting variant to have on my shelf. And since this was the version that played in IMAX, I'll probably just call it "2001: The IMAX Experience" :D
True enough. Likely won't be the only time I purchase this title in 4K. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, with all the ups and downs of the blu ray release and then the angst on the Nolan cut, I’ve just been a little put off on this release. Of course I’ve been eagerly awaiting it and I was going to grab a copy as soon as I could.

But when I tried to order it via Amazon and Best Buy, the Steelbook was sold-out and Amazon has a wait time until December 31. Since this is 2001, I was interested in the Steelbook because I liked the design of the artwork on it. Though I’m not a Steelbook collector. So that might be out of the picture. It bugs me that Best Buy ordered enough Steelbook copies made for Guardians of the Galaxy and I barely was able to get a copy, only after a second batch was shipped to Best Buy. So you’d think that 2001, with its slightly smaller mainstream fan base, it wouldn’t sell out so fast. So I can only guess Best Buy ordered a smaller number of copies, or with the holiday rush, they sold out all copies fast. Or both.

I’m still on the hunt for a copy, either Steelbook or normal. But I guess it’s not going to happen soon. I’m sure copies can be found at other retailers. I’m annoyed and dissapointed. But it’s not that big a deal in the greater scope of things in life. It will work out one way or another. I’ve waited this long, I can wait a little longer.

By the way, hope you guys have a great holiday and enjoy your copies of 2001!

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
I played my new 4K past the fade to the beginning of the shuttle sequence. I then replaced the disc with the earlier 4K version and selected "resume." The player took me to the shuttle sequence. For all of our concern over the errant and corrected discs, my Oppo cannot tell the difference.:chatter:

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I played my new 4K past the fade to the beginning of the shuttle sequence. I then replaced the disc with the earlier 4K version and selected "resume." The player took me to the shuttle sequence. For all of our concern over the errant and corrected discs, my Oppo cannot tell the difference.:chatter:

So what does this say ... ? Just asking.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Just saying...My idea of a small bit of levity.

I see I was thinking about a time when I ordered a copy of Road to Perdition from Germany hearing that it was a much better transfer when I loaded it, it came asking to start over or resume. Unfortunately this indicated ,at least to me, that it was the same file exactly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks