1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    That's good to read as I never noticed any black levels issue.

dpippel likes this.
  2. Britton

Britton Screenwriter

Looks like the cover art of the actual disc case has been changed to match the promo photos with Bowman's face instead of the corridor.

https://i.imgur.com/eyfe8JW.jpg

3. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    You get both if you're talking about the 4K UHD. The disc and a booklet are inside a red cardboard slipcover with Bowman's face, but the artwork on the actual disk keepcase is the shot of Bowman in the corridor.

4. DP 70

DP 70 Screenwriter

Derek
    The UK version the actual keepcase is the shot of Bowmans face as on the front slipcover.

5. Britton

Britton Screenwriter

It appears from this video the keepcase now has Bowman’s face too. Looks like it’s from the US.

6. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    I didn't watch the video at first since it's almost an hour long, but it looks like you're right. Wonder why they bothered to change the cover art? Here's mine, which was delivered a bit over a week ago and was purchased from Amazon:

IMG_0061.

7. usrunnr

usrunnr Writer

usrunnr
    Douglas Rain, the voice of H.A.L. has died. He was 90 years old.

SAhmed and Johnny Angell like this.
  8. Robert Crawford

Robert
  9. Britton

Britton Screenwriter

Mine is like that to. I assume this change isn’t a reason for the delays. It would be awfully stupid.

dpippel likes this.
  10. Bill McCamy

Bill McCamy Second Unit

Gasim de Paris
    The delay is apparently caused by a shortage of replication facilities. I'm all for advancing the rumor that the discs have been recalled to replace the hard cut with the proper fade at the end of the meeting with the Russians on the space station. Those of us with the "extended" versions could make a killing on eBay, at least until the disc is widely released...

[In the video clip several posts up, the alternate keep case design can be seen at about 33:40 minutes.]

11. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    A few weeks ago, someone asked about the 2001 screening at the Franklin Institute, Philadelphia, in Omnimax. I saw it on Saturday 11/10. There were some flaws: the image could have been brighter, and the dome distorts the shape of the monolith in some shots pretty drastically. But that can all be forgiven when you consider the amazing impact I got from the size of that screen. It was the closest thing to Cinerama yet. Lots of head turning involved - not only left and right, but up and down. The moons of Jupiter entering the frame from my peripheral vision had an incredibly immersive feel. The handheld shot of Keir Dullea climbing the ladder on his way to the HAL brain room gave me the distinct impression that he was stepping on me!

I've seen 2001 85 times in a theater. The first time was in Cinerama at New York City's Capitol Theater in June 1968. This Omnimax viewing automatically became one of the most memorable of them all. And I'm going back this Saturday for #86.

SAhmed, Ray H, dpippel and 2 others like this.
  12. David Norman

David Norman Producer

And things are continuing to get stranger. Some new reports of Amazon discs being shipping seemingly to make a Nov 20 release day -- desptie Amazon pulling their release date. Tons of people now finding them on the shelves at BBY and being upset that the BBY computer will not let the transaction go through -- staff are likely stocking the shelves based on the boxes and tags saying 10/30.

I still haven't found another statement other than the HighDefDigest site's seemingly legit post. Bill Hunt seemed to hint that it may be delayed. I'd still really like someone at Warner to come out and deny/confirm the delay.

13. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    Thanks! Would love to check this out myself but don't think I'm able to take the trip this week.

14. Bill Huelbig

Bill Huelbig Second Unit

Bill Huelbig
    It is also playing there next weekend. The last day is Sunday November 25th.

15. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Best Buy appears to be the 1st retailer to officially change their release date to 12/18 both online and one new report of someone trying to buy an item off teh shelf. Th computer spit out the "Not Available unti 12/18" instead of the numerous prior reports of the computer saying 11/20.

And yet another handful of folks still getting shipping notice of preorders that had been scheduled for delivery next week.

Even the international sites are starting to come up as sold out of backordered

16. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    That's HAL doing a national pre-publicity tour.

17. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

I’ve been monitoring this and the other 2001 thread. I may not have seen every post. So...There’s been talk about the error with the dissolve at the end of the scene on the space station and Dr. Smylov where the scene ends with a hard cut instead of a dissolve. Could the delay be due to the disc bring replaced with a corrected master so the dissolve is fixed?

PMF likes this.
  18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I doubt it as it's insignificant to me and most people wouldn't have noticed it if it wasn't pointed out by the internet. The delay is due to replication issues that is affecting studios and companies across the board causing delays for several titles.

PMF and SAhmed like this.
  19. David Norman

David Norman Producer

I'm going to say near zero chance of that being the reason. Even if they wanted to fix/replace I don't think it's possible they've had the time to scrub the original replication, fix the files, author a new disc, and get it back on the schedule in less than a month.

Just fits the other 100 or more delayed releases

20. Britton

Britton Screenwriter