What's new

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (2 Viewers)

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Part of the reason is that the press release is so obtuse - it makes you think the transfer was built on Nolan's version. I can't be the only one seeing this?

I thought the same thing. And not for the first time. Multiple publicity releases have inferred that as well. I've not seen such confusion on any other Warner releases. I wonder why.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Part of the reason is that the press release is so obtuse - it makes you think the transfer was built on Nolan's version. I can't be the only one seeing this?

I get that too.

Again, I’d understand the reaction if the press release existed in a vacuum. But it doesn’t. That’s the same verbiage from the press release announcing the IMAX release of the new 4K master, and obviously that theatrical release turned out just fine.

I guess I’m just frustrated that I’ve spent so much time writing about what’s actually happening and what I’ve seen with my own eyes, and had wonderful discussions here with others who saw it too... and then to have all of that thrown out the window each time Warner copies and pastes their verbiage into a new release.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
I get that too.

Again, I’d understand the reaction if the press release existed in a vacuum. But it doesn’t. That’s the same verbiage from the press release announcing the IMAX release of the new 4K master, and obviously that theatrical release turned out just fine.

I guess I’m just frustrated that I’ve spent so much time writing about what’s actually happening and what I’ve seen with my own eyes, and had wonderful discussions here with others who saw it too... and then to have all of that thrown out the window each time Warner copies and pastes their verbiage into a new release.

Josh,
I don't think anyone is throwing out your reviews. To say you have done more leg work on this one would not only be an understatement but a bad pun.

It is just sad that releases like this as well as that hateful trailer that was still being shown as an ad even after the showings were in progress had to make it a cluster fucck of information especially if a poster didn't see all that you had done.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

It IS built upon Chris’ version. Acknowledged by the studio multiple times.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
It IS built upon Chris’ version. Acknowledged by the studio multiple times.

So does that mean we should expect teal and yellow push on the 4K transfer?

I do believe 100% that the reason there is NOT a Dolby Atmos option for this disc is because of Christopher Nolan.

I think an Atmos mix done well would add to the immersion of the film done tastefully.

My hatred for Nolan only grows stronger

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
The 4K DCP was not ,it was pristine with excellent contrast ,true white , and nicely saturated color. I saw a red fringe that most have convinced me was probably an artifact of the dual head IMAX presentation or something from their secret sauce.

If the 4K DCP is what is used to make the UHD we should be good in fact in a very good place.

Wasn't it January when this was announced ? Holy smoke !

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So does that mean we should expect teal and yellow push on the 4K transfer?

I do believe 100% that the reason there is NOT a Dolby Atmos option for this disc is because of Christopher Nolan.

I think an Atmos mix done well would add to the immersion of the film done tastefully.

My hatred for Nolan only grows stronger

Doubtful, but one must give a filmmaker credit, where due, which is what the studio publicity continues to perpetrate.

As to Atmos, that would be something never intended, and should not be pursued without the filmmaker’s permission. The actual filmmaker.

Not the other filmmaker.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Can a Science Fiction film truly be "future-proofed"?:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The biggest remaining variable is how good DNR was used for this release. If it was used sparingly it should be excellent if not it could be disaster. The 4K master itself is very good.

Bill McCamy

Second Unit
Real Name
Gasim de Paris
"Hatred." The problem may be the (Millennial's) use of "haters" to describe people who criticize something they like, or disagree with them on some point. Hate is a strong feeling, and the word for it is being diluted and cheapened by modern usage. That dilution may have begun long ago, with people "hating" canned beans, or chocolate ice cream.

Returning now to our regularly scheduled programming...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks