What's new

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I just got back from the digital IMAX presentation. DAMN!!! Astounding! I agree with the others here - it looks and sounds simply amazing! Seeing this film on a 60' tall IMAX screen, with so much detail projected that large, was quite an experience. Color timing was beautiful and black levels were fine, with one exception. They seemed noticeably elevated during the "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" sequence compared to the rest of the space shots in the film, but ONLY for that sequence. I'm probably nitpicking though. The only other issue I had was slightly visible screen door in certain areas. I was seated in the middle row and it was apparent at times, but wasn't too distracting. Also, having the Overture/Intermission/Entr'acte/Exit music intact was fantastic. Man, when that blue and yellow MGM logo popped and the first low notes of Also Sprach Zarathustra started rumbling, I actually got chills. I am SO glad I went!

If you get a chance to see this, do yourself a favor and just go. I'm really looking forward to the 4K UHD in October!

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
To anyone that does go: at both shows I went to tonight, at two different theaters, it starts exactly at the published Showtime with no trailers and not even an IMAX countdown. So it seems that is an intentional choice and plan your arrival accordingly.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It’s intermission at Lincoln Square’s 15/70 IMAX film blowup of the “unrestored” version. If you were planning on going, go, and read no further - I’m going to nitpick but you probably wouldn’t notice these things if you didn’t know to look for them.
Now that you've seen both the 70mm on Lincoln Square's 100 foot screen and the digital IMAX version on what I believe is a 59 foot screen, how do they stack up?

More specifically, I'm considering seeing this at Lincoln Square on Sunday but it's an hour trek from me in Central Jersey and I'm definitely not a city guy. Or I can catch the digital version for a second time on a 59 foot IMAX screen ~25 min from me. :)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Here’s the thing: The Lincoln Square film presentation, by default, is impressive just on the sheer size of it. It was pretty amazing to see the movie on such a huge screen and it didn’t look completely terrible.

But the Empire digital presentation was astonishing and a huge improvement in quality. Huge. Like watching one of those featurettes on a Blu-ray when they show you the before and after shots after a restoration.

I’ve been watching 2001 most of my life and I’ve seen a variety of presentations over the last 25 years or so, and the digital restoration at the Empire, despite the smaller screen, was the best I’ve ever seen and heard it. Other than the size, everything about the digital version was so much better.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Cool, thanks for your thoughts!

As I'm sure many of us have been experiencing, my obsession with the film is at a frenzy with these IMAX screenings. In the past weeks, I've scoured the internet for discussions, interviews, podcasts and extras on the film. I've rewatched the Blu-ray and extras. I've listened to the audiobook, leafed through Taschen's making of book, and started reading Michael Benson's making of book. I'm constantly refreshing threads like these for any bit of speculation or information. Unfortunately, my work schedule is preventing me from catching this in theaters until Saturday night but I'll try to see it three times this weekend if I can (thanks to AMC A-List!).

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
A-List was fantastic for me tonight. Not only did I save $50 by not having to buy my tickets tonight, but it also resets on Friday morning so I can still see it again for free!

I won’t have another opportunity to see it at Lincoln due to my schedule and theirs, but that’s ok. I do think I can get back to Empire one more time for the digital one and I think I will try to do that.

This is my all time favorite movie and for the first time in my lifetime, it’s playing simultaneously in multiple commercial theaters on the best screens. Usually seeing “2001” for me involved going to a repertory theater (very small screens, 35mm or the older digital version which wasn’t great) or going to a museum (where the seats are uncomfortable and you can’t get a popcorn or soda but at least the screens are decent sized and they can show 70mm). To be able to see the movie in a real modern theater, to buy a ticket normally (or use A-List) instead of making an advance reservation ages in advance because it’s one showing only and being treated like a museum piece.... just to be able to go out and see 2001 with the same ease and feeling of fun as going to see the latest Marvel movie... that part of the experience can’t be underestimated.

And then on top of that, it’s playing across the country simultaneously so we can all see it at roughly the same time and discuss it together... instead of waiting for a small number of prints to leapfrog from city to city... all of it has been pretty amazing.

The Lincoln showing was almost sold out and it was cool to see it with probably 400 people who were all into it. And Empire’s late show had just a handful (the earlier one sold much better) but most of the people there had never seen it and they seemed younger than me but they got into it, and it was a very cool energy in the room because of that.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
So, all this unnecessary teal worry was - unnecessary. Imagine that.

I'd like to wait until the UHD has actually been released but I would call it unnecessary, too as it is not as if going back and forth for several pages will add more than just speculation.

Apart from that I was surprised at the level of doom and gloom exhibited here despite the fact that Warner so far has a very good track record when it comes to grading classic releases.

Dave S.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Here’s the thing: The Lincoln Square film presentation, by default, is impressive just on the sheer size of it. It was pretty amazing to see the movie on such a huge screen and it didn’t look completely terrible.

But the Empire digital presentation was astonishing and a huge improvement in quality. Huge. Like watching one of those featurettes on a Blu-ray when they show you the before and after shots after a restoration.

I’ve been watching 2001 most of my life and I’ve seen a variety of presentations over the last 25 years or so, and the digital restoration at the Empire, despite the smaller screen, was the best I’ve ever seen and heard it. Other than the size, everything about the digital version was so much better.

Thanks for this post. So far it’s been the best, most specific reporting I’ve encountered. Two friends who can’t coordinate want to see it and one only has today open. Looks like I may go twice. If so, that justifies a 3-month go at A-List.

I realize you have no magical knowledge but if I don’t ask I won’t know: Do you have any insight into how to know which print may be going where? He works near the Smithsonian Air and Space with an actual IMAX screen (I simply can’t justify all the commuting time and cost for that). Safe to say that’s the unrestored? The closest showings near my suburban purgatory are two non-descript AMCs (Columbia and White Marsh... TMI!). Both have “LieMax.” Going by your experience sounds like they may be more likely to have the new 4K projection.

I’ve seen it on projected blu-ray at an open university screening with Q&A, a dinged up 70mm at AFI (mid-2000s) a proper 35mm print at the renovated Senator movie house in Baltimore three years ago, and at DC’s Uptown Cinemrama in the early-90s. For (very expensive and unrelated reasons) I couldn’t attend the recent AFI screenings, though for what I read and according to these two friends combined with this additional opportunity it seems much less of a loss.

Much as I love this movie, having just bought the Making of book, the Feyling 2001 File, visiting the re-creation of Bowman’s final white room at Air & Space Museum, and of course pre-ordering the UHD I am financially over-budget for this (which I can afford)... but if I can catch the 4K twice in pretty big screens it sounds worth it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Josh, thank you for your comments as I'm going to see it today at 10:25 a.m.

CarlosMeat

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
All I can say is how pleased I am that my concerns were unwarranted. A great time to be wrong I might call it. Still have to wait till Saturday at 2:30 but it certainly sounds like it will be well worth the travel and time.

I want to thank Josh in particular being the kind of guy I would have been under the same circumstances. To be able to see it back to back as he did and then make a comparison few will be able to do and even fewer would do if they were able thanks !!

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I just got back from the digital IMAX presentation. DAMN!!! Astounding! I agree with the others here - it looks and sounds simply amazing! Seeing this film on a 60' tall IMAX screen, with so much detail projected that large, was quite an experience. Color timing was beautiful and black levels were fine, with one exception. They seemed noticeably elevated during the "Jupiter and Beyond the Infinite" sequence compared to the rest of the space shots in the film, but ONLY for that sequence. I'm probably nitpicking though. The only other issue I had was slightly visible screen door in certain areas. I was seated in the middle row and it was apparent at times, but wasn't too distracting. Also, having the Overture/Intermission/Entr'acte/Exit music intact was fantastic. Man, when that blue and yellow MGM logo popped and the first low notes of Also Sprach Zarathustra started rumbling, I actually got chills. I am SO glad I went!

If you get a chance to see this, do yourself a favor and just go. I'm really looking forward to the 4K UHD in October!

Was this a 2k or 4k presentation?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
With all of these reports flying around, there seems to be an opinion that the 4k digital is the better presentation. And in restored form?

How is this possible, when a film is meant to be viewed in analogue, and on fillum?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
With all of these reports flying around, there seems to be an opinion that the 4k digital is the better presentation. And in restored form?

How is this possible, when a film is meant to be viewed in analogue, and on fillum?
I don't know, but if I like or dislike what's presented before me, I'll be sure to let my thoughts be known in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks