What's new

Pre-Order 2001: A Space Odyssey (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I'm thinking are there any 1.37:1 AR UHD BDs ?

Not that I know of.

I would really like for studios to select titles that actually have the potential to also show some added resolution comparted to what Blu-ray is capable of so if Warner is going to release some of their more popular classics on UHD how about The Searchers, North By Northwest, Dr. Zhivago or Ben-Hur?

How the West was Won would also be a perfect candidate even though it is not in the same league as the others with regard to popularity and critical acclaim. To me it looks better than any of todays Alexa 65 and 65mm Imax productions.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Only the original 1999 DVD have the original mix apparently. (MGM single release and part of the original Stanley Kubrick Collection box set, before they remastered them all in 2001 with HD masters and remixes that we've been having ever since).
But how do I play it on my set up to get the exact original separation?

It's funny looking back on it, the original box set, which was criticized at the time for recycling past LDs and VHS masters, is now the only way to get the original mixes, in addition to 100% Kubrick approved colors.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
If I’ve got a choice between blu, 4K or 3D, I’ll choose 3D. If the only choice is Blu or 4K, I’ll pick 4K. If I’ve already got a blu I’m happy with, I need a real good reason to upgrade.

I'd usually prefer 3D over 4K, too, but a couple of films have made it tough to choose - like "Guardians of the Galaxy V2". The 4K version looks STUNNING - but the 3D has the "alternate aspect ratio" and excellent 3D effects, so it's my narrow choice...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I'd usually prefer 3D over 4K, too, but a couple of films have made it tough to choose - like "Guardians of the Galaxy V2". The 4K version looks STUNNING - but the 3D has the "alternate aspect ratio" and excellent 3D effects, so it's my narrow choice...
And what was your narrow choice? And we shouldn’t have to make the choice, they 4K should include 3D.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
These two guys really liked the movie.

glendale071070.jpg

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
And what was your narrow choice? And we shouldn’t have to make the choice, they 4K should include 3D.

My statement indicated that the 3D "GotG V2" is my narrow preference over the 4K.

And in that case, I did get both 4K and 3D together since I was able to buy the Best Buy exclusive...

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Next year will be the 80th Anniversary of both Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz ... no better time for 4K releases.
Yes, but is it known if GWTW and Oz are capable of making the transition?
So far, the oldest 4K/UHD title is "The Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957).

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
None better to supply us with this great article than an HTF member who joined in the year of 2001.:)

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Yes, but is it known if GWTW and Oz are capable of making the transition?
So far, the oldest 4K/UHD title is "The Bridge on the River Kwai" (1957).

Truthfully I dont see why any film no matter how old can’t transition into 4K UHD.

Both were shot on 35mm film and would be native 4K not upscales.

Also imagine classic black and white films in 4K most lovers of classic cinema can tell you that many black and white films look more stunning in HD than something jisy made recently in color.

Add to that a title like Wizard and Gone both have been re-issued to death on all formats so far its only a matter of time before WB transitions them into 4K.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks