2001/2010 double feature on HDNet Movies tonight 7/1

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by JoeU, Jul 1, 2006.

1. JoeU

JoeU Extra

In case anyone into great science fiction films is interested HDNet Movies is showing 2001: A Space Odyssey and 2010 back to back tonight beginning at 8 PM ET to be repeated at 12:30 AM. Should be great. The clips from the commercial for 2010 looked incredible.

2. Cavan.B

Cavan.B Stunt Coordinator

Looks like 2010 got a new HD transfer. (Yay!)

Now, Warner, please release a new DVD to replace the crappy LD-ported one.
    Please?

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Both of these films looked STUNNING in HD.

Bruce

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I thought 2001 looked incredible, even on my "mere" 720p 56" JVC. But I wasn't nearly as impressed with 2010. I can't compare it to the DVD (rented it once for my own personal "double feature"), but compared to the image quality of 2001 in HD - well, there was no comparison. 2010 didn't look signficantly better than any number of standard def DVDs scaled to 720p to my eye.

Regards,

Joe

5. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

I was at BB recently and found a new WB release of 2010. It was only 6.99 and I could see why. The MGM version was non-anamorphic letterbox with anamorphic menu. Well, the WB was even worse. It is now a two sided DVD with Full Screen version on one side, same non-anamorphic widescreen on the other and NO more anamorphic menus. Being a 2 side disc, the label graphics are also gone. Same menus, though. Avoid this version at all costs. Compared to the MGM version, it was better than the WB version. The WB is also in a snapper case while the MGM was at least in an Amaray.