What's new

20000 Leagues Under The Sea and In Search of the Castaways — DMC Exclusives Coming Soon (1 Viewer)

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I couldn't find any way to cancel other than by phone when I searched the site. Yes, E-mail or chat would be much easier.

The 2 movies I declined certainly arrived unwanted. I did everything right, and declined the same day I got the notice. This isn't an issue with the customers as I also know someone personally that it happened to.
There is poor service on the other end, at least for me.
I also didn't mention the time I got an entirely different title (substitute title?) than what I ordered because my wanted purchase was out of stock. I ended up paying for it and keeping it because I just did not have the time to send it back over the busy Christmas season. That was terrible.
I received a wrong title once. They reshipoed the correct one and told me to keep the wrong one free. Just FYI.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If you have evidence that you've declined the FT and it was confirmed, and they send it to you anyway, I'd consider it a free gift. If they try and charge your credit card, I'd dispute it.

A business cannot simply ship you items you don't want and charge you.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

As a new member, I've been thinking about what movies to maybe get in 4k. The review of The Little Mermaid in 4K at blu-ray.com is very good:

Does anyone own Mermaid in 4k? And if so would you be willing to add your 2 cents?

My first impressions were quite impressive. A substantial improvement over the BD - given the original source/production differences, not a real surprise that that TLM fared better in 4K than Lion King dis

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
If you have evidence that you've declined the FT and it was confirmed, and they send it to you anyway, I'd consider it a free gift. If they try and charge your credit card, I'd dispute it.

A business cannot simply ship you items you don't want and charge you.

In general, I don't disagree, but it didn't seem worth it for me. They have my credit card on file, and when the mistaken order was processed, it was charged. Sure, I could try to fight the charge through my credit card company, but it doesn't seem worth going scorched earth like that. I figure if I start disputing with the credit card company, that they'll back me up, but that DMC might also decide to cancel my account for that. It only took about 90 seconds out of my day to engage with DMC's online chat support to get a mailing label sent out, and then I just dropped it in the box on the way to work.

For me, keeping my DMC account active and in good order is my priority - I want to have it so that when something like 20,000 Leagues is announced, I can just go ahead and order that title without having to rejoin or whatnot.

Now, if they were to send me unwanted shipments more than once in a blue moon, my patience might dwindle and I might feel differently. But for now, I just accept it as the cost of doing business - especially since it doesn't cost me anything in the end.

But I would say, if DMC made an announcement one day, "We're no longer doing exclusive releases, we only sell what's in stores," I'd probably cancel immediately. I'm a member solely for their exclusives.

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
While we’re on the subject, anybody here want to bid on this? it will probably be relisted):

288599EE-2D50-439B-A01C-639D6C2845D7.png

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
But I would say, if DMC made an announcement one day, "We're no longer doing exclusive releases, we only sell what's in stores," I'd probably cancel immediately. I'm a member solely for their exclusives.
That's likely what keeps their club in business. I think all similar clubs have folded over the years once online shopping became a thing and you could buy most anything anywhere.

When I was young, I was a member of the BMG Music Service and the Columbia House Laserdisc Club. :) Growing up in a rural area, it was pretty much the only way to get a decent selection of titles for music, or to buy laserdiscs at all without driving 50 miles or more. My, how times have changed.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Interesting, reading of all the experiences with the Disney Movie Club in this and other threads. As ever, whether the service is good or bad, for many of us it isn't an option. I'm in the UK but own a handful of DMC BD exclusives bought via third party sellers, though I've never paid more than £12 for each. Eventually I'll do the same for this one, though at present there are no current or completed listings on eBay. So for now, no: I'm not enlightened. :)

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I can't see any mention of these titles anywhere on the Disney Movie Club website. I also asked them and they said they have no plans to release these two titles at the moment.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I can't see any mention of these titles anywhere on the Disney Movie Club website. I also asked them and they said they have no plans to release these two titles at the moment.
I don’t want to seem mean but did you read any of the last few pages discussing this?

It’s been mentioned that they won’t show up until they are available to order.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I don’t want to seem mean but did you read any of the last few pages discussing this?

It’s been mentioned that they won’t show up until they are available to order.

This is the truth about the website -- the true exclusives will not be listed until the day of release on the member site and not for approx 60+ days on the enrollment site probably.

Sometimes CSR will give a little heads up on upcoming titles, but they are limited in giving out details -- sometimes a month or more, sometimes a few days

Whether DMC reps think they are coming or not, Disney has put them up in the COMING SOON section of Disney Movie Rewards (DMR/Earn Points/At Home/Scroll to bottom of page 1 -- and that's usually been gold on the upcoming titles. They don't list dates, but they've always listed them by expected release date so these are slotted between Captain Marvel and Cinderella -- I guess in theory that should mean release could be 6/11-6/25. As a pretty hard rule, exclusives have always appeared for sale on DMC new cycle dates which is 6/18

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Disney Movie Club - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) Blu-ray

Rather than put this in the exclusive thread I think this deserves it's own thread. DMR Coming soon section now showing 2 titles that surely nobody can complain too much about -- though I know better.

Release Date is TBA, but most likely possible date 6/18 given that it's slotted ahead of Cinderella Signature release

Details are non existent, but I wouldn't expect a comprehensive release with a lot of extras (or any).

Let the complaints begin

Looking to get them.
Disney Movie Club - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954) Blu-ray

Rather than put this in the exclusive thread I think this deserves it's own thread. DMR Coming soon section now showing 2 titles that surely nobody can complain too much about -- though I know better.

Release Date is TBA, but most likely possible date 6/18 given that it's slotted ahead of Cinderella Signature release

Details are non existent, but I wouldn't expect a comprehensive release with a lot of extras (or any).

Let the complaints begin

20000leaguesunderthesea1558457062344.jpg

Disney Movie Club - In Search of the Castaways (1962) Blu-ray

castaways1558457108528.jpg

20000leaguesunderthesea1558457062344.jpg

Disney Movie Club - In Search of the Castaways (1962) Blu-ray

castaways1558457108528.jpg
Looking to get them all.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
I joined the Movie Rewards and now I see where they list these two. When you click on them it takes you back to the home page of the regular Disney Movie Club home page. I did notice on 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea it does say "anniversary edition." Does that mean there will be extras?

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I joined the Movie Rewards and now I see where they list these two. When you click on them it takes you back to the home page of the regular Disney Movie Club home page. I did notice on 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea it does say "anniversary edition." Does that mean there will be extras?

Extremely unlikely

Over half the exclusives are an anniversary of some sort (in the most liberal of definitions sometimes and virtually none have extras. The cheap 2003 DVD set works nicely as a combo though

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
NO, Treasure Island (1950) says the same thing.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
I've had the HD streaming version for a while and think it looks just fine. It isn't pristine, but it looks substantially better than the DVD. I agree that picking up the DVD as a companion is a must because it was one of the films in the short-lived, but very-well-made Vault Collection which had substantial supplements that were actually of value to film buffs. The "Making-of" documentary on the supplement disc is feature-length and a must-see for fans of the film. Other "Vault" releases that had great supplements were Swiss Family Robinson, The Love Bug, Pollyanna, Old Yeller, and The Parent Trap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks