What's new

20000 Leagues Under The Sea and In Search of the Castaways — DMC Exclusives Coming Soon (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
There are people who sell items, movies, before they are released.
Once they are released and the seller receives it they ship them to the eBay buyer.

This is nothing new.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Come on guys, let's move on please. Let's talk about these two upcoming Blu-ray releases instead of another poster and his purchase.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Ordered my copy today of 20,000 Leagues ! $30.00 including shipping ! : ) Private (Ebay) seller. No Disney club ever for me. It's Not Necessary. : )

Preaching to the choir. Definite E-Bay purchase for me too.

I will NEVER join the Disney movie club again. It was torture sending back the movies they sent me every month even though I declined to receive them in the first place. The fact you have to cancel by phone, and argue with a rep to get out is more than I can stomach. The good deals were overshadowed by the bad practices.
Never again.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I remember when 20,000 Leagues was shown on NBC as a Saturday night movie years ago and Kirk Douglas went ballistic because they cut out “A Whale Of A Tale” song.

As for as Castaways, I really enjoyed that movie, but found the last 15 or 20 minutes to be a let down after going through the dictionary of disasters.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The fact you have to cancel by phone, and argue with a rep to get out is more than I can stomach. The good deals were overshadowed by the bad practices.
Never again.

This isn't entirely true or esp in the last couple years -- I've cancelled by phone, email, and chat. Actually the latter was by far the easiest since I've lost the email address. Open chat (usually 10-8pm ET weekdays) "i want to cancel my current account, I'm planning to rejoin soon with a better Promotion code. Thanks" The middle part doesn't even need to be true, but it should eliminate any of the discussion :Why are you leaving, can I get you to stay somehow, etc. In and out in less than 5 minutes every time I've done it --I always save the transcript and Cancel email just to be safe for a couple months

I've never understood why certain accounts seem to get hit with the unwanted/declined FT repeatedly. I know it happened to Ron since he reported the same issue and I've heard it from a a few others, but 98+% of folks never get a single unordered item. If Ron rejoins is a couple months I'll be really interested to see if it starts again and it's something with the account/address and not just some random account issue. In 10 years I've gotten a single item I know I declined and once with I think I did though may not have -- they did give me a prepaid label to return it since I attached my decline email with the post. Returned item and refund within 2 weeks but aggravating even once. Most other long time members have a similar record, but there is the weird recurring complaint from at least a dozen people I consider reliable and not the normal random Reddit/Facebook poster who usually and obviously wasn't declining their feature.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
This isn't entirely true or esp in the last couple years -- I've cancelled by phone, email, and chat. Actually the latter was by far the easiest since I've lost the email address. Open chat (usually 10-8pm ET weekdays) "i want to cancel my current account, I'm planning to rejoin soon with a better Promotion code. Thanks" The middle part doesn't even need to be true, but it should eliminate any of the discussion :Why are you leaving, can I get you to stay somehow, etc. In and out in less than 5 minutes every time I've done it --I always save the transcript and Cancel email just to be safe for a couple months

I've never understood why certain accounts seem to get hit with the unwanted/declined FT repeatedly. I know it happened to Ron since he reported the same issue and I've heard it from a a few others, but 98+% of folks never get a single unordered item. If Ron rejoins is a couple months I'll be really interested to see if it starts again and it's something with the account/address and not just some random account issue. In 10 years I've gotten a single item I know I declined and once with I think I did though may not have -- they did give me a prepaid label to return it since I attached my decline email with the post. Returned item and refund within 2 weeks but aggravating even once. Most other long time members have a similar record, but there is the weird recurring complaint from at least a dozen people I consider reliable and not the normal random Reddit/Facebook poster who usually and obviously wasn't declining their feature.

I couldn't find any way to cancel other than by phone when I searched the site. Yes, E-mail or chat would be much easier.

The 2 movies I declined certainly arrived unwanted. I did everything right, and declined the same day I got the notice. This isn't an issue with the customers as I also know someone personally that it happened to.
There is poor service on the other end, at least for me.
I also didn't mention the time I got an entirely different title (substitute title?) than what I ordered because my wanted purchase was out of stock. I ended up paying for it and keeping it because I just did not have the time to send it back over the busy Christmas season. That was terrible.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I couldn't find any way to cancel other than by phone when I searched the site. Yes, E-mail or chat would be much easier.

The 2 movies I declined certainly arrived unwanted. I did everything right, and declined the same day I got the notice. This isn't an issue with the customers as I also know someone personally that it happened to.
There is poor service on the other end, at least for me.
I also didn't mention the time I got an entirely different title (substitute title?) than what I ordered because my wanted purchase was out of stock. I ended up paying for it and keeping it because I just did not have the time to send it back over the busy Christmas season. That was terrible.

Certainly has happened to enough people repeatedly that it has to be some sort of computer issue on their side that luckily seems to affect only a small number of people not attaching the decline notation to the account properly. Once for a random customer is a fluke, but hearing a similar/same story of repeat mailings to the same person a couple times a year for what seems like forever just has to indicate something there's something wonky in their system.

The most common problems I've seen (on the DMC and customer side) are during the 2 'extra' cycles where for 4 weeks twice a year there are two simultaneous FT among 3 offers -- I think the system gets confused which offer your declining and the page doesn't show the second FT properly.

The chat feature is only a couple years old and has replaced the majority of my phone contact, the email address is there but it's difficult to find (usually I just get it from the Bluray.com FAQ) and it's even changed a couple times since the last time I did it that way

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've never understood why certain accounts seem to get hit with the unwanted/declined FT repeatedly.

It seems to happen to me about once or twice a year - in fact, it just happened with the animated "Jungle Book" last month. I checked and I have the email decline confirmation. I chatted with DMC and they agreed to send me a prepaid label so that I didn't have to open up the package, and I just slapped it on and dropped it back in the mail. It's annoying, but they've done a reasonably good job of making the return portion as hassle free as possible. I think that's probably why an option for not automatic shipments would be my most preferred club improvement - not because I have a problem hitting the decline button once a month, but because I think it would reduce the possibility of getting previously-declined items.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I, for one, don't understand the negativity toward the Disney Movie Club. Each month I get an e-mail reminder about the month's offering and I simply decline and that's that! I've never had a selection sent to me that I didn't want. I do sympathize with those who live in countries where DMC does not ship. It is what it is and I (and I assume everybody else) knew what they were getting into.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I, for one, don't understand the negativity toward the Disney Movie Club. Each month I get an e-mail reminder about the month's offering and I simply decline and that's that! I've never had a selection sent to me that I didn't want.

Some people have problematic experiences with the DMC, hence the negativity. It's not that hard to understand. :) Fortunately this only seems to affect a small number of customers.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Each month I get an e-mail reminder about the month's offering and I simply decline and that's that! I've never had a selection sent to me that I didn't want.

Me too. Since August 2015. Click link in the DMC Featured Selection e-mail>At DMC site click Featured Selection>click Decline. Then I get a confirmation e-mail. Are the people who are having trouble not getting the Featured Selection e-mails? Perhaps they're going into spam traps?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Some people have problematic experiences with the DMC, hence the negativity. It's not that hard to understand. :) Fortunately this only seems to affect a small number of customers.

Yes, a club membership that make mistakes on their end. Which should not be an issue. But it is.

Well, I guess I'm just one lucky guy then! :)

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
I, for one, don't understand the negativity toward the Disney Movie Club. Each month I get an e-mail reminder about the month's offering and I simply decline and that's that! I've never had a selection sent to me that I didn't want. I do sympathize with those who live in countries where DMC does not ship. It is what it is and I (and I assume everybody else) knew what they were getting into.

Agreed. What amazes me is that they'll ship without payment. One time I forgot to respond to my featured selection email (yes, taking full responsibility here) and the only cc DMC had on file had an outdated expiration date. They shipped anyway with an invoice enclosed. They did take it back and paid for shipping.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Me too. Since August 2015. Click link in the DMC Featured Selection e-mail>At DMC site click Featured Selection>click Decline. Then I get a confirmation e-mail. Are the people who are having trouble not getting the Featured Selection e-mails? Perhaps they're going into spam traps?

Some people are declining, getting confirmation emails, and then receiving the monthly selection in the mail anyway.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It is one of the more common issues to be sure, but the repeat issues with the same person getting hit is the more baffling part to me.
Many people seem to never have the problem, others seem to get it more frequently.

There was apparently some significant issue with the recent Jungle Book FT since I've read a substantial number posts with that one including a few long time members who have never had it happen before. Most reports I read tend to randomly happen through the year, but there was a distinct and obvious spike with Jungle Book. They've been updating the site or down for maintenance several times in the middle of the night over the last 8-12 weeks so I wonder if they did something or their server was having problems

There are 2 times a year where DMC has extra FT cycles -- mid March and Mid Oct usually which they call Seasonal Cycle which means for 4 weeks twice a year there are simultaneous FT. I bet 80-90% of the issues with unwanted mailings happens involving those overlaps -- I've don't remember a spike like the JB ever, but there are times of the year I do expect to read more issues

Jungle Book was the 3rd of that bookend in March on top of whatever else was going on

26-Feb- March 25 Little Mermaid 4K + The Little Mermaid II/III pack
12-Mar- April 9 Mary Poppins Returns 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray + Digital Code
26-Mar - April 22 The Jungle Book Blu-ray + DVD + Film Frame Replica

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
26-Feb- March 25 Little Mermaid 4K + The Little Mermaid II/III pack....

As a new member, I've been thinking about what movies to maybe get in 4k. The review of The Little Mermaid in 4K at blu-ray.com is very good:

"Disney's previously released 1080p Blu-ray from 2013 was well received for its 2D image quality. The studio has improved upon a very good thing with this 2160p/HDR UHD presentation that does not necessarily see a major increase in sharpness to the original animation but does yield a substantial improvement to color depth and tonal solidification. The HDR color enhancement offers a strikingly rich palette, much more fruitful and full than the previous Blu-ray (and even the remastered Blu-ray), which in direct comparison appears much lighter, lacking the color nuance, impactful depth, and striking contrasting balances in play. Whether in dense and murky underwater areas or awash in bright sunlight up on the surface, the UHD picture reveals a nearly breathtaking color fortification that sets the tones not apart from the previous release -- this is not a revisionist color grading -- but rather brings out the best in every critical and minor shade in the film."

Does anyone own Mermaid in 4k? And if so would you be willing to add your 2 cents?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks