What's new

20000 Leagues Under The Sea and In Search of the Castaways — DMC Exclusives Coming Soon (1 Viewer)

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Would be nice and I'm pleased at the relative low amt of negatives that this set generated (not totally shocked honestly), but I just get fed up with the non-stop complaints in Warner Archive, DMC/Exclusive, Kino's Twilight Time, even Criterion announcement etc. Everybody wants their favorite the way they want it and at a price they want it at and just about every new announcement is drowned by "WHY this crap and not mine, Why are they so stupid" For every "I can't wait", it seems usually there are half dozen "that sucks"

I have little love for Mighty Ducks or Goofy Movies, but a ton of people have been clamoring for those for a long time and I'm happy they got a chance to get them. I'd say those may have had more requests over the years than 20000 Leagues has had, though I suspect there is a huge age split on them

The lack of extras it bothersome, but the DVD is in print and relatively cheap for those that don't already have it -- relatively easy fix.
A few complaints about DMC in general like always and I really do feel bad for the internationals who are hung out with limited options.
This.
If I still worked for a home video label producing physical media, I think I'd be existing in a perpetual state of despair. Take a title like "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" where people have been claiming to want it for ages. So Disney finally announces it. While there's an initial wave of joy at the announcement, the complaints start immediately: Why aren't there new bonus features? Why aren't the old bonus features included? Doesn't matter that the DMC Exclusive line, by design, is not meant to include these things, the complaints still come. And then, almost immediately, the lists. "Why not this movie instead? If they're doing 20,000 Leagues today, then tomorrow they should do these dozens of titles!" And then the complains from people who now declare they won't buy. "I won't buy it, it doesn't include extras." "I've asked for this title for years, but I'm waiting until it's available on a cheap sale." "I don't like their business model, I won't support it."

I'm not saying that's everyone here at HTF - this thread has been pretty cool - but whenever I see a prominent wish list title being announced by someone, the amount of complaints over what's not included, the immediate inundation of lists where we can't even for a moment just be happy that we're getting something that's long been anticipated without asking for more, and the amount of people who immediately declare they won't purchase until it's priced in such a way that the label would be breaking even or trying to cut their losses always seems to outnumber the group of people who are just happy to finally be getting something they've long hoped for a chance to get.

Like I said, if I was still in that business, I'd feel enormously discouraged all the time.
And this.

I come here for informed, adult discussion about a hobby I love, but get so tired of trawling through countless whining posts seemingly written by impatient, spoilt, sulky children. You know who you are, so stop it and grow up!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I think a complaint about the old not being ported over is valid.

I don't mean to suggest that the complaint is invalid, it's just that... this is what the DMC Exclusives line is and always has been. I think it's okay to be disappointed that they don't include all the existing stuff on the new disc, so that I could just get rid of the old one instead of having to Frankenstein them into one package. But this is also how DMC releases movies, so I don't think it's practical to get outraged over their lack of inclusion either.

I really wasn't trying to single you out, Johnny, and I sincerely apologize if it came across that way.

I was just trying to convey how demoralizing it must be if you work at DMC, and you've heard people for years say they want "20,000 Leagues" and finally you announce it, and the voices complaining about what's not on the disc (and never would have been on the disc) are suddenly louder than the voices who said they wanted it in the first place.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don't mean to suggest that the complaint is invalid, it's just that... this is what the DMC Exclusives line is and always has been.
My point is they made a choice to not have the old extras, then they put in DMC Ex and think no one should be disappointed.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Ordered my copy today of 20,000 Leagues ! $30.00 including shipping ! : ) Private (Ebay) seller. No Disney club ever for me. It's Not Necessary. : )

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Ordered my copy today of 20,000 Leagues ! $30.00 including shipping ! : ) Private (Ebay) seller. No Disney club ever for me. It's Not Necessary. : )
Might I be able to interest you in a piece of land in Florida - It has a view of the ocean on several sides you will have exclusive access to the area ... :D?

The blu-rays aren't even available for pre-order ...
Here while your waiting - count these chickens ...
1804w-Eggs.jpg
;)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I can't wait to get 20k Under the Sea. This is the only truly and grandly "A-budget" Sci Fi movie of the 1950s. Everything about this movie is fantastic.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There are rules in HTF country, gentlemen:

Conduct
10. No personal attacks. We expect all members to treat each other with consideration and respect. While we encourage lively debate, we do not allow personal attacks. This includes direct attacks, such as name-calling, as well as indirect attacks, such as repeated baiting of a member in a provocative or belittling manner. If you believe that you have been subjected to a personal attack, or have witnessed one on another member, please see the section on Dealing with Problems for instructions on how to proceed.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
In Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea James Mason's Captain Nemo calls for collision speed. Even as a kid there were two characters that I liked by far the best in this film—Captain Nemo and the Nautilus. Kirk Douglas and Peter Lorre are great, but....I still feel a little guilty about liking the ambiguous "bad guy" in this film.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've deleted one post that directly insulted another member. As always, the Moderating team asks that HTF members report problems, rather than attempting to act as moderator themselves. Here's how:

Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 10.55.44 AM.png

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I rarely watch those "bonus features" so won't miss them and can always do like everyone else - just put the DVD in the BR case on the outside chance I may watch them some day.

I'd rather it not be a Disney Movie Club exclusive but I've joined several times in the past just to get some of those titles (Zorro anyone?). It's always been worth the hassle and I've wound up with a bunch of titles for much less than I'd pay anywhere else. 20000 Leagues Under the Sea is a title that'll get me to join again and I'll pick up a few other exclusives on BR in the process.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I can't wait to get 20k Under the Sea. This is the only truly and grandly "A-budget" Sci Fi movie of the 1950s. Everything about this movie is fantastic.
Have to disagree with you there. Forbidden Planet was very much an A budget movie. Robbie alone cost a LOT of money. Joshua Meador, one of the Disney animators, did the Monster from the Id.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Have to disagree with you there. Forbidden Planet was very much an A budget movie. Robbie alone cost a LOT of money. Joshua Meador, one of the Disney animators, did the Monster from the Id.

Good point.

(Although the production budget of Forbidden Planet was c. 1.9 million, while the cost for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea two years earlier was somewhere around $5 million.)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
One of my favorite anecdotes about the making of the film: A guy playing one of the cannibals had a shirt that said "Eat at Joe's". Another guy countered with a shirt that said "I ate Joe".

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
In Disney's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea James Mason's Captain Nemo calls for collision speed. Even as a kid there were two characters that I liked by far the best in this film—Captain Nemo and the Nautilus. Kirk Douglas and Peter Lorre are great, but....I still feel a little guilty about liking the ambiguous "bad guy" in this film.

James Mason's performance is superb and contributes enormously to the quality of the film.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I saw this thread earlier in the week and I was stunned by it, both that Disney is finally releasing this and my surprise as to what DMC is.

I’ve never heard of it!

I did a little reading on the Disney site about it and it’s not something I was aware of. I’m used to just going to a B&M store or Amazon to pick up my DVD and Blu rays. I’m not sure I like this idea of having to join a club and then commit to buying a set number of titles, if I understand the concept. So I think I need to better understand this. I already own many titles I see there, but there are a few I don’t have. So maybe those are some I go for. It’s a good thing Disney has the Pixar, Star Wars and Marvel titles so that widens their audience.

I’ve been waiting for Disney to release this on HD so I’ve been looking forward to getting the disc. But this being the only way via DMC may not be for me. As I said, I think I have to better understand how it works. I’m glad it’s finally coming out on blu ray though! I hope to be able to add this title to my collection later this year when it’s available.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
It's pretty straight forward. You get a specified number of discounted enrollment titles and in return you agree to purchase a specified number from the club *at regular price* within a specific time frame. Once you complete those purchases (as few as 2) you can cancel.

It's a "negative response" type club. That means you get a mailer/email telling about the month's selection and have to go online (maybe call?) by a specific date to refuse the title. Fail to refuse and it's automatically shipped at the current price.

As long as you take care of that automatic shipment as soon as you get notification of the title it works well. Taking the enrollment and fulfillment titles as an average the prices are much lower than standard retail.

You can get more information, the best enrollment codes, and questions answered in this thread:
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/anyone-join-the-disney-movie-club.329150

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks