1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

20000 Leagues Under The Sea and In Search of the Castaways -- DMC Exclusives Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by David Norman, May 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Message #61 of 343 May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin

look at that bolded title it cost me a grade because i skipped a test in college that day to see it, yes its high on the list
    Somethng Wicked
    Make Mine/ Melody Time
    Cry Wolf

Darby67 likes this.
  2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Black Cauldron-The Magnificent Amberson’s Cut? What is that?

skylark68 likes this.
  3. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    5D809784-6F24-4817-B069-52D0D5EBBC24. 8F506029-C5F0-49C8-BE8B-0C09596742AA.

Just doing my part.

Oh and if you all could, head over to DMC’s FB page and express gratitude for the newest releases and of course politely lobby for more.

MatthewA, holtge and Darby67 like this.
  4. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    the original uncut version of the film with 12 min or so fo finished animation and elmer bernstine score that were removed to remove some of the "darkness" of the film

MatthewA and Johnny Angell like this.
  5. Message #65 of 343 May 22, 2019
    Last edited: May 22, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

The supposed original version of the film that may have been the nearly finished movie, but was slashed by the studios after apparently a screening which terrified (or terrorized) several children in the audience, never released, and possibly had the original elements destroyed/lost/hidden away so it's become a legend in it's own time despite the fact that very few people actually ever saw the actual product.

Not only was a lot cut, but other parts were rewritten, reanimated, and reedited supposedly directly by Katzenberg who took over the film from the animators, director, and producers over their loud objections and possibly even again the wishes of Eisner depending on whose version of the story you believe.

Apparently if it has gone through as originally written it would have been at least a PG13 and some folks thought maybe an R rating. Would it at least have been a well reviewed financial disaster gaining a cult following over time (like Waterworld) if it had been left alone instead of a mess that was a financial disaster and received horrible reviews.

MatthewA and skylark68 like this.
  6. benbess

benbess Producer

Ben
    Looks like I'll be joining the Disney movie club for 20k Under the Sea. Finally. Are there any sites for promo codes? I guess the basic offer is pretty good....

Darby67 likes this.
  7. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    I remember seeing this film at the theater and it terrified me without the lost footage... :) The Horned King is one of the scariest villains in Disney history.

Darby67 likes this.
  8. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    benbess likes this.
  9. Mysto

Mysto Screenwriter

marv long
    I'm so glad D decided to finally release some of these classic titles. It's a lot of fun to watch the excitement here at HTF.
    It just proves once again - if you release 'em we'll buy 'em.

Darby67 likes this.
  10. Message #70 of 343 May 23, 2019
    Last edited: May 23, 2019
    David Norman

David Norman Producer

The basic code is decent, but it's 60-80% more expensive than the premium codes I listed in DMC thread Doug's link -- post 715. I also strongly suggest reading the comprehensive FAQ a couple times from bluray.com link

If you have more than 2 full priced commitments after the initial enrollment package of 6 for $13 or 7 for $22 you are burning $$$

The 2 premium promo sign-up codes currently are
    BASICS
    1) 5 titles for $1 with 3 required items $19.95 or more (with no customer discounts) over 24 months.
    2) Optional Bonus Pick 1 for $11.95 counts as commitment #1 so only 2 full priced items
    3) optional Bonus Pick 2 for $8.95 -- not a commitment

-----> Promo Code 61749 with FREE SHIPPING on the ENTIRETY of the membership, and comes with a blanket featuring Coco! [Fall 2018]
    -----> Promo Code 55218 with FREE SHIPPING on the ENTIRETY of the membership, and comes with a blanket featuring Jack Jack from Incredibles 2! [Jan. 2019]

Someone on Bluray said the Jack-Jack blanket may be sold out so at some point they may offer you an alternative (Moana, Dory, Lightning McQueen, or possibly Coco). The blanket ships separately so it being OOS/Sold Out won't delay the rest of the package or affect your membership

Kyrsten Brad and benbess like this.
  11. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Sound the same as the DVD?

12. Kyrsten Brad

Brad
    Just to note, once you've completed your DMC obligation and are a "VIP" member, you do get some decent discounts on desired titles. The catch is you have to buy at least 1 full price title to get the discounts on other titles.
    Oh and I have cancelled & rejoined once before. I'd do it again except I pretty much have most of the DMC titles I desire unless DMC does a mass release of yet-unreleased classic live action titles.

13. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    I was browsing the DMC site yesterday I didn't see any 4K UHD titles, do they not carry those?

14. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    4K UHD titles are only available after you've joined the club.

Vegas 1 likes this.
  15. David Norman

David Norman Producer

They carry all of them, but they aren't available for the initial enrollment picks.

In the DMC thread (post 715?) linked above is a Google Spreadsheet with all the all the current titles that members have access to
    and also breaks out the 250 enrollment eligible titles. On the signup site, it can be confusing about what's a BD and what's DVD only, but
    if you search the Catalog Number on the sign-up website, it should take you directly to the item if it's eligible (about 95+% accurate). You still have to choose Bluray at the next submission, but it's a pretty good resource to look at and see what available initially and as a member

Vegas 1 likes this.
  16. Kyrsten Brad

Brad
    Brad here. I put the following up on the Interview With Criterion as a candidate question but thought I'd replicate it here for general discussion since we are now getting 20K-LUTS on Blu.

=======================================================================================
    Dear Criterion:
    With the recent announcement that the Disney Movie Club will soon be releasing the long-awaited Blu-ray for 20000 Leagues Under The Sea (1954) would your people at Criterion see an increased interest in two later films connected to the Jules Verne classic, Mysterious Island(1961) and Captain Nemo And The Underwater City (1969) to a point where we might see some additional Blu-ray releases?

(Note I'm not asking if Criterion would release these two films on Blu-ray but do you see some interest in these films in the home entertainment market?)

As we know, Twilight Time has already twice released Mysterious Island, selling out both print runs. Captain Nemo And The Underwater City has been released on DVD.
    ========================================================================================

B-ROLL likes this.
  17. Vegas 1

Vegas 1 Supporting Actor

Alvin Kuenster
    OK thanks for the info!

18. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    wromg thread.

19. Ross Gowland

Ross Gowland Stunt Coordinator

Ross Gowland
    Oh, why can’t these releases be as easily available as the Warner Archive Collection so that those of us outside the USA can get then too?

I’ve missed out on Freaky Friday, the two Witch Mountain films and now these. :(

20. RobertSiegel

RobertSiegel Screenwriter
    Reviewer

Oh we think alike, one of my most longed for blurays, The Happiest Millionaire. With the exciting news of 20,000 Leagues, which is day 1 for me, this renews hope for Millionaire and maybe even the restored Bedknobs.

Strange, today was the first time I went to the Disney Club site in months and didn'the see these 2 anywhere, and tonight I found it here. So I just looked on the club site again and still don't see it in upcoming bluras.

MatthewA likes this.