1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

20000 Leagues Under The Sea and In Search of the Castaways -- DMC Exclusives Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by David Norman, May 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. dana martin

dana martin Producer

Dana Martin
    Was 95° here yesterday, quietly looks out the window to see if hell has frozen over. About time and yes this is a reason to finally join that club. Also agree with everybody else going to put my DVD in the same case just because it'll probably be Bare Bones I don't care. This is where Uncle Walt's idea of a family movie shined.

Darby67, Jack K, ahollis and 3 others like this.
  2. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

Fantastic news! I recently picked up the 20,000 Leagues Intrada soundtrack CD (along with Johnny Tremain).
    Glad to see this becoming available. Time for me to re-join soon.

Darby67 likes this.
  3. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    It will be the same immaculate restoration that has been on iTunes but at a substantially higher bitrate. You have nothing to worry about. The sound is a 5.1 mix based on the original 4.0 magnetic tracks.

MatthewA, Will Krupp, B-ROLL and 3 others like this.
  4. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    How wonderful! It's been a long wait, but happy to see this announcement.

Darby67 and Jack K like this.
  5. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    I loved that record, too.

B-ROLL and Darby67 like this.
  6. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Awesome! Simply awesome! Hopefully they'll both be huge sellers for Disney which would encourage them to get some other wanted stuff out like The Moonspinners, Light In The Forest, Black Hole, Happiest Millionaire (Roadshow cut, of course) and Third Man On The Mountain.

MatthewA, Nick*Z, LouA and 5 others like this.
  7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    This is, of course, the long-awaited news we had been waiting for.

I figured I was only going to be able to watch 20,000 Leagues on Disney+

Looks like I am going to have to rejoin the DMC when it is available as an introductory title.

Darby67 and holtge like this.
  8. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    IT'S ONLY TAKEN FOREVER to get a Blu-ray release.

And OF COURSE it's an Exclusive ONLY

I'll stick with the 50th Anniversary Edition from 2004.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  9. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Given recent patterns, I would expect it to an enrollment pick around mid to end of August assuming the 6/18 release day holds -- 8 to 9 weeks is common though 13 wks (90Days) is possible. Mary Poppins Returns became eligible today -- 9 weeks.

Darby67 likes this.
  10. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    David, I’m sure you’ve covered this before so apologies in advance for the repeated question. I’m thinking of canceling my account so I can enroll in one of those “free shipping for life” plans. I’m just waiting for DMC to receive and process a return/refund before making the call. Once I cancel, how long do I have to wait to sign up again? And it’s easier to get a better selection of titles by enrolling over the phone these days?

Darby67 likes this.
  11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Josh many people including myself have cancelled and resigned the same day.

I don’t know if we have one here but there’s a substantial topic over at Blu-ray.com with all the info you could imagine.

Darby67 and Josh Steinberg like this.
  12. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Aww, but then I’d have to join that place ;)

Thanks Tony! :)

Darby67 likes this.
  13. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    Disney showed a new print strike or restoration years ago when the El Capitan in Hollywood had just opened. Took my son to see it, what an enjoyment.

Darby67 likes this.
  14. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    That had to be back in 1991 when it reopened, because it first opened back in 1926, 28 years before the movie came out.

15. John Sparks

John Sparks Cinematographer

John Sparks
    Actually I got the date wrong on the reopening of the theater. I saw the film in 2003, which was about 8 years after it reopened.

As a LAFD fire inspector, I had the privilege to walk thru the whole theater including the entire building. Wow, they dropped a bundle restoring it.

B-ROLL, Darby67 and Johnny Angell like this.
  16. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    Kinda like I did with my earlier DVDs of The Parent Trap (1961 & 1998) and Freaky Friday (2003). Purchased new 2 disc Blu-ray cases (clear versions) and moved all discs and artwork into those cases.

Darby67 likes this.
  17. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    1991-2003 is 12 not 8.

18. David Norman

David Norman Producer

The phone enrollment isn't much help anymore other than for the bonus items if they aren't on the Selected Short list. If you're not enrolled online since they updated the web 18 months or so ago, it's very different than it used to be. They really have clamped down on those YMMV choices some people used to get. I find it easier to use the web site to enroll though it, enter all the email information/billing/shipping upfront and then call/chat to add or change the bonus items if I don't like their choices.

If the only reason you want to cancel/re-enroll is to get Free Shipping and you don't really have a pile of discs you need, a few people are reporting that when they call to cancel mentioning re-enroll to get the Free Shipping Code that the CSR are offering some an option just to add Free Shipping to your current account. OTOH, if you have 6-9 items you need there is no cheaper way to get them than by a new cycle (it's 20-30% cheaper than even the best B1 G60% deal)

Making a short story long"
    How fast you can re-enroll is a bit variable and depends on how you cancel and if you want to use the same email address.
    You can cancel by email, phone, or chat. Email adds quite a few days to the delay so I strongly suggest doing it by chat or phone. By phone or chat the reps seem to check your acct for outstanding issues and nothing is pending which can expedite purging your current account. I actually prefer chat so I can save the transcript and I specifically ask "I'm going to re-enroll to take advantage of a Promo Code, how quickly can I do a new enrollment?" Typically -- a variation of "A few days if you use the same email address or almost immediately if you want to use a different email address." I also think they will push the cancel if you tell them you wish to re-enroll soon.

I strongly prefer using a new email address since it seems to avoid 95% of the problems with accts not clearing quickly or fully, but you can use everything identically if you want.
    1) Once you cancel you should get an confirmation email in a couple hrs or couple days once you acct is fully cleared.
    2) Fairly quickly after you cancel (as soon as you hang up sometimes) -- if you try to sign it you'll get a message "this email/password combination is disabled" This is an interim designation and not the final stage so DON"T sign up with the same email at this stage though you probably would be safe using a new email
    3) in 24 hrs to 4 business days you should eventually get a message "The combination of your email address and password does not exist. Please try again." This is the final stage and you should be clear to sign up with this email address now.

19. David Norman

David Norman Producer

Nah -- the only 2 sub-forums you have to register to read -- the Trade Forum which makes sense and Dead Deals section for some reason. Post 1 and 2 are the most important but almost every conceivable question and situation has been covered inside the thead and often most of them in the last 2-3 pages since even with the FAQ so many questions are repeated multiple time

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=221740

20. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    That’s good to know! There’s stuff I can get to make an enrollment package but I’d also be happy to keep my current membership if they’d let me add that. I’ll give it a try.

Darby67 likes this.