What's new

20000 Leagues Under The Sea and In Search of the Castaways — DMC Exclusives Coming Soon (1 Viewer)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Signing up I found wasn't that big a hassle because once an e-mail notice comes in about "time to buy next release" it's very easy to click, say no, and not fall in that rut of potentially forgetting and getting stuck with a title I don't want. So signing up to get 20,000 Leagues turned out to be worth it.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I watched 20000 Leagues tonight. I hadn't watched it in quite a few years, and I had forgotten some important sequences in it. I really enjoyed it.

Disney must have been very proud of this movie: landing these big, big stars of the era in a very high quality production of an acknowledged classic, and getting some Oscar love for the movie which his previous classic adaptation Treasure Island hadn't garnered.

I watched on Saturday night and haven't seen the movie in easily 20 years, maybe more. I was absolutely floored with how much of the movie I didn't remember seeing EVER before. Essentially, I remembered the beginning and the end...that's it.

My comment to a fellow Disney friend over text was "The D does not make movies like this anymore..."

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I watched it again last night and was reminded of just how GREAT it looks! It really is a gorgeous transfer. The only gripe I have is the complete lack of extras. I'd LOVE to see a special edition done of this film. Someday I'm going to do a James Mason double feature with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched it again last night and was reminded of just how GREAT it looks! It really is a gorgeous transfer. The only gripe I have is the complete lack of extras. I'd LOVE to see a special edition done of this film. Someday I'm going to do a James Mason double feature with 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and Journey to the Center of the Earth.
Imagine that James Mason had this movie AND A Star Is Born as his movie output for 1954. What a glorious year for him!

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The year I was born was also the year A Star is Born was first restored. Though George Cukor had just died after giving the go-ahead*, Mason was around for it; he'd just done a Sesame Street special called Don't Eat the Pictures set at the Metropolitan Museum of Art where he plays the head of some long-dead Egyptian**; ironically he himself would be gone a year later, which was this film's 30th anniversary and the last year Walt's side of the family controlled Walt Disney Productions. The Blu-ray just released has no more extras than the pan-and-scan analog sound (no CX noise reduction) laserdisc available then, but in terms of the actual film presentation it should be like night and day.

But Marlon got the AA for a movie about being on Water.

Funny how he kept that one but in 1972 suddenly it became an offer he could refuse.

*Robert Stevenson, whom he beat for an Oscar a decade later, would soon know how he felt after the (still-ongoing) Bedknobs and Broomsticks editing saga, but he wouldn't live to see that get restored (or taken apart again for Blu-ray), either.
**It makes sense if you actually watched it, grim though the subplot about a boy dying to join his ancestors as a star in the sky may be. Also interesting to note that it was their first special after Will Lee (Mr. Hooper) died, and that the late Northern Calloway (David) was in that but not Follow That Bird.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
The year I was born was also the year A Star is Born was first restored. Though George Cukor had just died after giving the go-ahead*, Mason was around for it; he'd just done a Sesame Street special called Don't Eat the Pictures set at the Metropolitan Museum of Art where he plays the head of some long-dead Egyptian**; ironically he himself would be gone a year later, which was this film's 30th anniversary and the last year Walt's side of the family controlled Walt Disney Productions. The Blu-ray just released has no more extras than the pan-and-scan analog sound (no CX noise reduction) laserdisc available then, but in terms of the actual film presentation it should be like night and day.

Funny how he kept that one but in 1972 suddenly it became an offer he could refuse.

*Robert Stevenson, whom he beat for an Oscar a decade later, would soon know how he felt after the (still-ongoing) Bedknobs and Broomsticks editing saga, but he wouldn't live to see that get restored (or taken apart again for Blu-ray), either.
**It makes sense if you actually watched it, grim though the subplot about a boy dying to join his ancestors as a star in the sky may be. Also interesting to note that it was their first special after Will Lee (Mr. Hooper) died, and that the late Northern Calloway (David) was in that but not Follow That Bird.
It must have been a horse('s head) of a different color ... ;)!

Speaking of which, I did a quick QC on the 20,000 Leagues blu-ray and the color is AMAZING! Ironically my concern was I couldn't find a speck of minus or plus density anywhere...including some shots that I'm sure had rear-screen projection ...:cool:!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
It must have been a horse('s head) of a different color ... ;)!

Speaking of which, I did a quick QC on the 20,000 Leagues blu-ray and the color is AMAZING! Ironically my concern was I couldn't find a speck of minus or plus density anywhere...including some shots that I'm sure had rear-screen projection ...:cool:!
Exactly why is that a “concern”? That’s what a good digital cleanup is supposed to do. Remove of the dirt specs and stabilize the image. So you think that they should have figured out which specks were originally on the film running on the backdrops and leave those in? :D

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Exactly why is that a “concern”? That’s what a good digital cleanup is supposed to do. Remove of the dirt specs and stabilize the image. So you think that they should have figured out which specks were originally on the film running on the backdrops and leave those in? :D
Maybe too much clean-up ... :cool: I've only seen prints that had not been pristine ... just sayin ;) ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks