What's new

20000 Leagues Under The Sea and In Search of the Castaways — DMC Exclusives Coming Soon (1 Viewer)

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That's OK, I had Pure Direct selected initially and was only getting sound from the center speaker and it took me 5-10 minutes trying to figure out what was wrong.

I'm still fairly new to my Marantz and haven't gotten used to the various options yet.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, I looked into joining the Disney Movie Club, but the more I looked, the less it made sense for me. So I just decided to wait a bit and see how you guys do with the 20,000 Leagues disc, the main title I really wanted.

I also kept an eye on eBay. There has been and continues to be many brand new sealed copies for sale. I was noticing the prices starting to go down, and I found a couple of auctions I tried, but jump out of. I wasn’t going over $50.00. I found a sealed one with a Buy It Now price under $40, so I went for it. I think that’s probably double what the club price is. I was OK with that because I didn’t have to deal with the club and I got the main title I really wanted and waited so long for. So we will see how this works out, and I hope it’s the real deal.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The disc is $24.95 and I decided while shopping on Ebay that I wouldn't pay over $30, so I'm still waiting for a decent price to show up. Right now, it's a hot title, and they're price gouging. I have it on DVD and laserdisc if I get an overwhelming yen for it before Disney+ comes on-line. It was also $17.99 on iTunes the last time I checked. So cheaper options for me are out there.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I would expect the Ebay prices to drop as soon as each title becomes available as an enrollment selection and more copies get out there.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey guys, I looked into joining the Disney Movie Club, but the more I looked, the less it made sense for me. So I just decided to wait a bit and see how you guys do with the 20,000 Leagues disc, the main title I really wanted.

I also kept an eye on eBay. There has been and continues to be many brand new sealed copies for sale. I was noticing the prices starting to go down, and I found a couple of auctions I tried, but jump out of. I wasn’t going over $50.00. I found a sealed one with a Buy It Now price under $40, so I went for it. I think that’s probably double what the club price is. I was OK with that because I didn’t have to deal with the club and I got the main title I really wanted and waited so long for. So we will see how this works out, and I hope it’s the real deal.

Nelson, I can't sit here and speculate as to why someone would not think the Disney Movie Club is a good deal. There could be all kinds of reasons from costs to title selection to just the overall irritability of having to respond to featured titles every month.

I do think you definitely get your money's worth as long as there are titles you want. To get 4 or 5 Blu-ray titles for a buck is fantastic value even if you have to pay full price on titles to fulfill your agreement.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Ron, for sure the club pricing is a good deal. I’m just not interested in joining and trying to pick titles I may or may not really want to just fulfill the numbers of titles they require you to select. I probably could have got many I wanted. In the end, I didn’t want to be in their system. I’m making assumptions they hound you to rejoin if you decide to leave the club. All the current and upcoming titles so far as I can tell I can buy locally. For sure, I pay more. So I’m not being fiscally responsible, but I’m willing to pay a little more to stay out of the club. In the end, I just didn’t want to join. ;)

Matt, agreed there is gouging for sure on eBay on this title. I guess I was ok to let the seller have a little extra profit for their efforts. But I had a limit to how high. I also don’t know how many copies will be pressed of these club exclusives. It’s probably going to be a while before this title goes out of print.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m making assumptions they hound you to rejoin if you decide to leave the club.

They don't.

When I've canceled in the past, it's been as close to "no questions asked" as possible, and I've never noticed an uptick in mailings from them trying to get me back when I wasn't an active member.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I guess I was ok to let the seller have a little extra profit for their efforts. But I had a limit to how high. I also don’t know how many copies will be pressed of these club exclusives. It’s probably going to be a while before this title goes out of print.

These club exclusives to date haven't gone out of print. They make small batches, and when it sells out, they just make more. Worst case scenario is that a member might have to wait a few extra weeks on a popular title.

They all are listed as $24.99, but the club frequently has 50% and 60% off sales, so I purchased my copy new for just $10.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They don't.

When I've canceled in the past, it's been as close to "no questions asked" as possible, and I've never noticed an uptick in mailings from them trying to get me back when I wasn't an active member.

Pretty much -- during the cancellation they'll ask why and often offer a perk if you'll stay a member (permanent Free Shipping is the current carrot), "do you want to make a last order. We do have xyz being released soon" but for the most part it's pretty painless.
I've rarely stay a non-member long enough to get a lot of mail, but one of the Current lifetime Free shipping promo codes was offered to me as an incentive to rejoin allowing me to start again with a 5 for $1 with 3 (or 6 for 13/7 for 22 with 2) required full priced in 24 months -- took me about 24 minutes.

These club exclusives to date haven't gone out of print. They make small batches, and when it sells out, they just make more. Worst case scenario is that a member might have to wait a few extra weeks on a popular title.

They all are listed as $24.99, but the club frequently has 50% and 60% off sales, so I purchased my copy new for just $10.

note for nonmembers -- the 50/60% off are "B1 at regular price, Get 50% (60%) off the rest of the items equal/lower priced" in the order. There is always a B1G% offer available -- 40/50% for members not yet finished with commits, 50/60% for Full/VIP members

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Pretty much -- during the cancellation they'll ask why and often offer a perk if you'll stay a member (permanent Free Shipping is the current carrot), "do you want to make a last order. We do have xyz being released soon" but for the most part it's pretty painless.
I've rarely stay a non-member long enough to get a lot of mail, but one of the Current lifetime Free shipping promo codes was offered to me as an incentive to rejoin allowing me to start again with a 5 for $1 with 3 (or 6 for 13/7 for 22 with 2) required full priced in 24 months -- took me about 24 minutes.

note for nonmembers -- the 50/60% off are "B1 at regular price, Get 50% (60%) off the rest of the items equal/lower priced" in the order. There is always a B1G% offer available -- 40/50% for members not yet finished with commits, 50/60% for Full/VIP members
The negative is that if there is a Director's Selection (or whatever they call it) and its say $29.99 you can't just pay the regular price of $34.99 (4K titles for example) and use it for your full price selection. I suppose I could try to get a "cast member" to get it to work.

Ideally you should be able to use the selection at the discounted price and use that as the full price item. But if you want something over the $29.99 you have to pay full price for that item AND $29.99 for the featured selection... this seems to be the case for several months... at least when I tried it for 4K titles.

Typically how I remember it working for BMG and Columbia House Compact Disc Club(s): If you purchased the featured title (basically said you would accept it) it counted as a full price title for the buy one get X sales.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The new item discount items can be a conundrum. It's not consistent, but many people have had some luck with having them manually bump the item back to regular price so it can be used as the trigger item for the full discount.

It is a major YMMV though -- I'd say it works about 50% of the time.

Honestly it's easier just to take the Alternative FT -- this month Endgame 4K + infinity War 4K for $42 ($12 for Infinity War or even $7 vs getting them to bump the price of Endgame to $35).. Aggravating, but I'm pretty sure I could get $10 net selling Infinity War 4K (or even just the digital part for pretty close to that). I will say I've done this 8-9 times over the years and usually end up at worst breaking even and more often than not end up making a couple dollars.

A pain, but given all the other major pluses I have to leave this one alone.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
My eBay 20,000 Leagues arrived today. So that was cool. And fast. It looks real. I’ll have a look at it this weekend or next.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
For those that have been waiting -- 20000 Leagues and In Search of the Castaways are now officially eligible as initial enrollment items. If you are going to sign up i implore folks to read the sign up primer or better the bluray.com Faq and promo code posts. I have bedn seeing a ton of peopld signing up withthe worst possible codes which essentially double ghave disc costs.

If you arent getting at 5 for $1, optional picks and at most a max of 3 full priced required purchases after signup (preferably 2) then ask befote you you finish signing up and making a costly error

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
A year from now, any chance 20K will be for sale to the public?

I don't think there is any precedent for that. No other exclusive I can think of has hit non-DMC retailers (The Love Bug, Swiss Family Robinson, Old Yeller, Polyanna, etc.). Some/all have had DVD editions before the DMC BD came out, though.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A year from now, any chance 20K will be for sale to the public?
Probably not. I've decided to bypass rejoining the Club. I just don't want to deal with commitments and doing that monthly exercise especially with Disney+ less than 3 months from launch. I already have some classic Disney titles like 20,000 in my iTunes digital library and I'm happy with them.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched 20000 Leagues tonight. I hadn't watched it in quite a few years, and I had forgotten some important sequences in it. I really enjoyed it.

Disney must have been very proud of this movie: landing these big, big stars of the era in a very high quality production of an acknowledged classic, and getting some Oscar love for the movie which his previous classic adaptation Treasure Island hadn't garnered.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I've watched 20,000 Leagues three times since purchasing it through DMC. It's a wonderful movie and I love the performances. Nice transfer and looks epic on my front projection scope screen set-up.

I know a lot of people despise signing up through DMC, but if this makes you feel any better:

I signed up online and ordered all 8 titles that night. Once they all shipped, I cancelled over the phone (2 min conversation) five days later.

Eight titles for $80-some dollars total.

All done. That was it. That simple.

I plan on rejoining down the road though especially with The Black Hole announced since and there are still more titles I want.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
There’s some listing somewhere if the titles available in the DMC. Since I’ve bought Disney thru the years, I had a hard time finding movies I wanted. By that I mean movies that “I gotta have” vs movies “I wouldn’t mind having.” I need to keep my purchases in the former and not the latter.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks