$2000, what would you buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Olsen, Nov 13, 2002.

1. Brian Olsen

Brian Olsen Agent

Nov 11, 2002
    I am new to the boards, and I will be doing my own research, but I am hoping that you guys can give me a little kick start.
    I plan on spending NO MORE than $2,000. Here are the rules.
    1. 27" TV with Component Vid (My old JVC was nice)
    2. Receiver - I really liked my old Denon 2802 (Would definetly buy again.)
    3. 6.1/7.1 speaker setup.
    4. I have a DVD player
    5. I have all the wires I need.
    6. I'll need a universal remote.
    7. I'll need a nice tv/audio stand [​IMG]
    I wil be primarly watching movies. I'll still be moving quite a bit, so that's why I want the smaller TV. (Also a good way to save $$ for other stuff.)
    What would you do?
    Thanks in advance [​IMG]
  2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Jan 16, 1998
    Neil Joseph
    Brian, it may help if you broke things down a bit, maybe spin this off into 2 or 3 separate threads. You basically need recommendations here on the speakers. Try posting another thread in the Display Devices area for the TV and maybe a third in receivers for that.

Let me know how it goes.
  3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Jul 19, 2002
    Here's a shot just based on a few preferences of mine, and those you mentioned:

TV: Samsung 27" Flat HDTV ($700, bestbuy)
    Receiver: Denon 2802 ($442, online)
    Mains: JBL S38 ($262, online)
    Center: JBL S Center ($127, online)
    Surrounds: JBL S26 ($154, online)
    Surround Back: JBL S Center ($127, online)
    Subwoofer: Sony SA-WM40 ($125, online)

TOTAL: $1937

I listed the Denon 2802 since you said you had it before, liked it, and would buy it again. You could also go w/ the Denon 1803, Panasonic HE200, or Pioneer VSX-D811S. Either of the latter 3 would save you some money. Sound quality wise, they're really a dead heat.

I listed JBL Studio speakers all around. If you want a 7.1 setup w/ S26s for the rears as well, it would cost about $180 more than the 6.1 system i listed. 6.1 vs. 7.1 is really a personal preference along with a room size issue.

I listed the sony sub because it's one of the best for a ridiculously small amount of money. Stuff some polyfill in their and you'll have a sub that'll match anything under $400.

I listed a $700 Samsung Flat HDTV monitor because it's a great tv, and one of the cheapest HD monitors out their. If you don't want HD, I'd go w/ the Phillips 27PS55S. It has component inputs and a semi-flat tube, and is only $280 at best buy. This would free up enough $$$ in your budget to replace the sony sub w/ a SVS 25-31 PCi. It might also free up enough to go 7.1 w/ S26 rears as opposed to 6.1

I didn't list a stand for 2 reasons. The best price stand is the one you make for $20 out of MDF shelving and 2" L Brackets, OR the one best buy/circuit city gives you for free when you buy a TV (watch the Sunday paper).

These are my preferences and i'm sure others will agree/disagree/hate me for them, but that's ok. This system would be great in any of the forms i've mentioned. The more i think about it, the more i think the cheaper tv and the svs sub would be alot better. Either way, this is something to go by, and keep your own priorities in mind. If you put video higher up than audio, get the Samsung HD set. If you put audio higher than video, get the Phillips and the SVS.

Either way, it's your system, get what you like, but here are some recommendations.

Hope this helps.