$2000 to spend on speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BrianDiP, Dec 17, 2002.

1. BrianDiP

BrianDiP Extra

Hi folks,
    After much reading on these boards about all these speakers, I have changed my mind about 1000 times on what I want. I'm sure it will change about 1000 more as well by the time we move and we actually purchase them heh. Here is what I am down to. I will have right near 2k to spend on speakers give or take a couple hundred. Right at this moment in time I am looking at the Rockets HT Package #2 seen here. It will run $2099 plus $200 shipping I believe. This is a little above my budget, but I could squeeze it in if I want to. Also, I would have to hold off on a sub for a little bit. I was planning on getting the svs for $599 as well. My other option I was looking into was the Axioms. It would include the m60tis, vp150, and qs8's for surrounds seen here. Buying some from the outlet and some new, I can get that package for around $1400. I would have plenty of room for the svs right away. First, I was planning on getting the HK AVR-520 or equilivant at $500. I didn't know if this unit would have enough juice to power the rockets, especially those 750s. Also, if I decided to upgrade to the m80ti's for the Axioms, I didn't know if this receiver would have enough oomph. That is why I was going with the m60ti's. Here is other background if it will help. I will have a room that's about 15x17 or so and want towers up front. We will use it for probably 60% HT and 40% music. We are getting a new RPTV the day we move as well which is March 1. Just trying to do as much research as early as I can. Any input on these speaker lines or any others that I may be interested in would be most appreciated!! Thanks.
    --Brian

2. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Well, since you are buying internet, you might want to consider having Brian Bunge at
    http://www.rutledgeaudiodesign.com/
    build you 5 GR Research AV-1s in the finish of your choice. I am building some, and they get killer reviews.
    just a thought.
    George

3. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Build your own speakers and save some serious cash and get much more quality. I built the AV1 kit from GR-Research (around 300.00) and was blown away by the way they sound, image ,etc. The xover parts are of the highest quality as well. I would love to compare the xover parts between the AV1's and the rockets, no comparison I bet.[​IMG]

4. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Kevin,

How would you compare the sound of the AV-1's to other retail speakers. I am building these based purely on word of mouth, and they are replacing Kef Q series speakers. I hope I am not disappointed.

Have a great holiday.

George

5. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

Hey George, I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I built the version with the larger cabinets and the amount of bass they put out is really impressive for their size. They present a soundstage that is wide and deep and better than anything I've heard in any consumer retail shop. I wound up giving the pair to my mother, but I don't really think she understands how good they are. I would say that you can't touch anything in a retail shop for under 1500.00 that compares to the AV1's. Of course this is my own opinion as I haven't heard many high end bookshelf speakers. I was absolutely amazed at the quality of the crossover parts included in the kit. Foil inductors, high end caps and resistors, and the series topology is a cinch to assemble on one board. Good luck and let us know what you think of the sound.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

7. BrianDiP

BrianDiP Extra

Thanks for the replies fellas. These are good ideas except I live in an apartment and have no tools or means to do all this. I have seen some reviews of the dahlquists and people seem to like them as well. How does everyone weigh in on these along with the others I am interested in? Any replies will be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian

8. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor