2000 to spend, need some input, very very important

Discussion in 'Displays' started by dannyTens, Aug 17, 2005.

1. dannyTens

dannyTens Auditioning

Alright, Here is the situation. I have approximately 2000 dollars to spend on this unit but would prefer to spend less if possible. I was looking at minimum of 50" tv, preferably one of the thinner technologies as opposed to CRT. I was looking ideally at like a 61" or something, but I don't really know what my options are. This TV will be used for probably a good long while. It will be in my dorm this year, so lighting will be very dark at night, and pretty light during the day. Sitting distance from tv will be approximately 8-12 feet away. DVI connection to me is pretty important as I will be hooking my computer up once in awhile. I would also like HDMI I suppose too, but that isn't a huge deal if not possible. What I am getting at is for my primary television source I will be using DVI, for my DVD player I will probably just use high-quality component cables. I would prefer to spend 1500 or less, but I don't know if the quality difference is going to be huge there. Any options or thoughts that you can provide on this situation will be extremely appreciated!! I play a lot of xbox, but have never done so on anything bigger than a 20" tv. I have read about lag and would prefer not to have lagging as I play mostly sports games.

I like my dads 50" samsung dlp. I believe it is the 50" version of HLP6163W. Speaking of HLP6163W, I am looking into this right now and think it looks pretty good, but there seem to be some issues with xboxs and lag and such.

Any input would be appreciated!! How are the JVC LCOS for gaming?

2. dannyTens

dannyTens Auditioning

Actually, I might like something that has a better image quality. I am just not sure!!!

3. Marc LaPalme

Marc LaPalme Agent

to be honest with you... from my experience, nothing beats a good crt for gaming.

i've seen lcds and dlps on playstation (so i can only imagine xbox) and seems crt's have better color, are crisper and most all smoooooother.

if you do alot of gaming id be worried about burn in with the flat panels.

one gaming tv i was looking at was the 32 inch widescreen highdefinition toshibas. has all the bells and whitles for connections and will last you a lifetime with no bulb changes.

they have a 50 inch i believe also for about 1400 canadian.

just my opinion.

crt's have yet to be beat for picture quality and that truly shows with fast action minute detail modern games.

4. dannyTens

dannyTens Auditioning

I would go CRT but weight is an issue as over the next few years I will be moving several times. I have been looking at the samsung DLPs a lot, they are getting really good reviews. If only they made a good 61" for under 2000 shipped.