<$2000 RPTV w/ best stretch mode?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MickeS, Aug 11, 2002.

1. MickeS

MickeS Producer

OK, I'm still looking for an RPTV, and now I saw that Best Buy is selling the Panasonic 53WX42 for $1899.

Does this TV have a good stretch mode for 4:3 material? I was watching an Hitachi Ultravision (don't remember the model number) and the stretch mode on that one was GREAT, the middle part of the picture was left practically untouched, and the gradual stretch on the sides was handled very well.

How does the Panasonic stretch mode compare to the Hitachi, or other RPTV's out there?

Please, no comments about how stupid it is to watch 4:3 material stretched.

/Mike

2. SamN

SamN Agent

Check out the Pioneer. It has a mode called Natural Wide that sounds like that Hitachi you are describing. You can get the 533 at onecall.com for not a whole lot over 2k. They may be doing a group by with hometheaterspot.com. Check the site for details.

3. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

The Toshibas also have an excellent stretch mode that works like the Hitachi. I find it very watchable.

Jan

4. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

I have a Hitachi and can atest to the generally excellent stretch mode.

The new models (20B's) have even more and better stretch modes. There is 16X9 standard, 16X9 zoom, 4:3 standard, 4:3 enhanced, 4:3 Zoom1, 4:3 Zoom2, and 4:3 enhanced.

You can also toggle the Side or top bars from Grey to BLACK in the user menu to suite your preference.