$2000, no TV...what's a guy to do?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by chad_l, Jun 7, 2003.

1. chad_l

chad_l Auditioning

Hey Folks,

First time poster. No real knowledge of the options of displays in front of me, and would like everyones opinion. My budget is $2k and will be using the TV as such:

70% gaming (ps2)
    20% dvd (widescreen nice but not necessity)
    10% tv (cox digital programming)

...for a total of 40 hours per week, all at a distance of 8ft. TV would be viewed mainly, only from the direct front.

Yes, you see that typed correctly, 70% gaming. I'm a game nut and would like to have the biggest, most defined display I can buy...refurbished or new. Need warranty of some sort on a purchase this large.

I have been looking at HDTV RPTV's as I've seen described in other posts. I feel that the quality of the picture I have seen are impressive with the addition of size, seems to me, would be something I would enjoy playig my games. I don't want to buy a $2k set and start getting burn in, if that really is something I need to be concerned about. But how do they games appear on an RPTV? I would like to get the sharpest and clearest picture I can achieve and would absolutely hate myself for buying something so expensive and it not meet my level of standards.

I will have by Monday, a new 700W RCA Model RT2500 shipped to my door. I know, it's not near the best but I think it will handle my needs...and if it doesn't, I'll upgrade later. I mainly want it for DVD & gaming, no music...which I have 2 sony's to handle that job. Any opinions on this sound system. I couldn't pass up $250 offer...I didn't find anything close to this price vs quality. Had lots and lots of good reviews. One even went as far as stating, "this system is the best complete system you can probably get under $2500.". Yeah, flimflam, but I saw several positive posts about it.

Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks for readin'.
    Chad_L

2. Josh_SR

Josh_SR Stunt Coordinator

sup peeps...

i got me a 52" widescreen for video games playing to (xbox & gamecube) i wanted a really good picture to but i think a 52" is alittle big for video games... you will defanitly need to use component cables with the system to really be happy... my budget was 2000 to and i got an rca scenium D52W135D... id recomend nothing bigger then a 52" (47" may be better) and component cables are a MUST as s-video or composit cables looks like crap for video games on big screens.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I'd spend $500 on a 32" tube TV of your choice then spend $1000 on the Infocus X1 projector and the rest on either a dalite model B pull down screen or build a screen yourself. If you're into gaming try playing halo on a 6 foot wide screen[​IMG]

4. Josh_SR

andrew......

did you play halo via component cables on that x1?

5. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

You really play PS2 28 hours a week?

6. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

Hi Chad,

I have a 47" widescreen Panasonic RPTV and use it about the same way you plan to. Not quite so much gaming but I do use it for my XBox quite a bit. The games look great (especially widescreen titles) and I have no burn-in issues. Just make sure you bring the brightness and contrast down as low as you can handle to prevent burn-in (use a calibration DVD).

BTW 8 feet is about the perfect distance to sit from this size screen.

7. chad_l

chad_l Auditioning

Thanks for all the replies!

To answer one of the questions, no I don't play 28 hours a week. More like 15-20, but on the weeks I might be off, the numbers could go as high as that. I play a game called Socom, a few people will recognize the name. It's online PS2 multiplayer shooter. We have clan matches and practices so we play quite a bit together. Winter time is the busiest time for using a television around here.

But I have taken in consideration the replies about size and quality and decided to go no bigger than 50". HD-RPTV sounds like a good option and am going to try it out. Will Bestbuy let me bring in my PS2 to hook up and play for a bit to test drive a few sets?

Quick question, what is the difference such as usage and price between composite, component and S-video? You know, as far as using them to hook up the PS2 and DVD player along with the surround sound system? And is there a way to use 2 sony tower speakers as the front speakers and use 2 additional speakers in the rear?

Thanks again for readin'!
    Chad_L

8. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but games and CRT RPTV's don't tend to play well together. Playing games on a CRT RPTV doesn't mean it will burn in, just that there's a much greater chance of it happening. A direct view CRT is a safer bet being much less likely to burn in. It might even be a good idea to get a large screen 4:3 EDTV such as the ones made by Samsung and save the leftover money for a future LCD/DLP front projector. Unfortunately for gamers there are few HDTV games on the Xbox and none on the PS2 and Gamecube.

9. Josh_SR

richard.... what do you mean when you say there are no hdtv games for ps2 and gc?

10. Steve Mudie

Steve Mudie Auditioning

Chad,

I own an X1 and while I use it primarily for movies when I first hooked up the XBOX to it, the picture blew me away.

And no, the room doesn't have to be pitch black to see it. The picture is better as the room gets darker of course but I used mine today with the afternon sun streaming in the windows and it was fine.

At only $999 with a 5 year warranty you can't go wrong. [​IMG]

-Steve

11. Daniel Becker

Daniel Becker Second Unit

Chad,

I'm only going to give you two things to think about. 1) You certainly want a tube tv when your playing that quantity of videogames. You just don't want to have to worry about burn in while playing games all the time. It's just got to be annoying thinking that at any given moment you could be permanantly ruining your tv. 2) IMO as well as many others Sony makes the best tube tv's out there. I just bought a 36" Sony HDTV and I have very similar tv usage habits as you. I also view my set from about 7'. I love it and it was the perfect set for my life. With your $2000 price limit I couldn't think of a better tv than the 40" Sony XBR set. You can find it for a little less than $2000 right now. Look soon though because last year's models will be gone soon.

Dan.B

12. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

Josh, the Xbox is the only game console that currently has games designed for 720p and 1080i. The games are harder to make since they have to be made for widescreen and have to output a higher resolution. I'm sure the next generation of game consoles will be able to do 1080p at 60fps with ease but today the Xbox is the only console with games that output at HDTV resolutions.

13. Colin Dunn

Colin Dunn Supporting Actor

Get a Panasonic PT-L300 projector, which streets for about $1,800. Because this is a digital projector, you will have no worries about burn-in of static video game images or letter/window-box bars. Use the left-over $200 for materials to build your own screen, or just start out projecting on the wall until you can get a good screen for it.

The 1/4 HDTV (960x540) resolution gives you clean scaling of HDTV (especially 1080i) sources, and has more than ample resolution for progressive-scan DVD. Did I mention this is also a true 16:9 projector, with built-in support for anamorphic widescreen for DVDs, HDTV, and gaming?

Though this is an LCD projector, it does not have problems with the 'screen-door' effect that plagued early LCDs. The high resolution and improved 'fill-factor' make it competitive with DLPs.

I saw this unit at a home theater meet recently, and I think that on the whole, it's better than the (more expensive) Sony 10HT that I own... [​IMG]