$2000 for a large room...

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by dakine, Apr 13, 2005.

1. dakine

dakine Auditioning

I orginally thought I had about 3K to spend on speakes and receiver...but I may be going the 50" plasma route. Can anyone suggest a set up in the area of 2k? The room is 13x21. And are the paradigm HTIB's any good?

2. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Are we talking about 5.1 and a receiver?

3. Christian M

Christian M Agent

You could probably pick up a very nice ascend acoustics speaker arrangement, a HSU or SVS sub, and a HK, Pioeer, Onkyo, or Yamaha receiver for ~2k +/- a few bucks. I would bet it's better than any HTIB... Paradigm does make some very nice stuff though.

Good luck!!

4. John S

John S Producer

Well 13x21 isn't that big of a room. I still put that in the medium room size cat.

You have just a ton of options at that price point.

What ratio of music to HT is your usage?

5. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

http://www.definitivetech.com/
    Just as another option
    You could also check out Definitive Technology, mix and match their pro cinema series and come in under $1000 for front, center and surround and then go for a svs or hsu for speakers.
    promonitor 100-$175 each, pro center-$199 each pro80 for surround 112.50 each=661.50
    or the 200 model is $50 more per pair and the better center is $100 more. I think either setup should leave enough left over for a good receiver.

6. MikeGee

MikeGee Second Unit

For that price i'd consider a similar setup i'd have if not a little better than myself
    Athena AS-f2 front
    Athena AS-c1 center
    Athena AS-b2 rear/rear surrounds
    SVS Sub
    Pioneer 1014tx

7. Eddie Horton

Eddie Horton Stunt Coordinator

You could get 2 pairs of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's, a CMT-340C, an HSU VTF2-MkII with the Pio 1014 and be under 2K. Superb for the money.

8. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

Excellent recommendation by Mr. Norton.

dakine, you may be able to break it down like this: $500 receiver, $500 sub, and $1000 for 5-7 speakers. If you need to skimp on something to make room for something else, cut back on the receiver. It makes the least impact on overall sound quality.

9. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I'd say Pioneer 1014TX, Swans 2.1 mains and surrounds, C3 center, and an SVS PB10 sub. This would leave enough money for any cables you might need and stands for the mains/surrounds. If you want to wall mount the surrounds you could also go with the R3 surrounds. Depending on what you spend for cables and stands you might have enough left to move up to an SVS PC 25-31 PCi.

Check the Swans out at www.theaudioinsider.com . Ascend and Axiom are also great choices. Plasma Docs has some pretty good deals on Ascend/SVS combos. Depends on the sound and look you're going for. Hope this helps [​IMG]