What's new

$2000 budget for audio only. WWY Choose? (1 Viewer)

PapaDeuce

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
OK, here is the situation. I could certainly spend more if need be, though my wife may ask for a divorce. We are having our 3rd floor attic converted into a media room starting in January, so I have time to research. The room is about 800 SF, though we don't need sound in more than 1/2 of it. The center of the room is 9' high. It is flat for about 2' and then will slant down to 6', with regular vertical walls at that point. I don't foresee any time when we will have more than 8 people in the room. And usually 4 people or less. I don't even know what 7.2 is, but I do know what 5.1 is. I have 5.1 in my family room, and I am fine with that. Not sure I even want 7.1, let alone 7.2. My budget for audio is $2000. I know I would like dual zone so I can have sound in my master bedroom below the media room. So that will need at least one, if not 2 speakers for the bedroom. I don't know what more you might need to know. I was looking online at the Yamaha RXV 671, I think the model is. I have never heard it or seen it in person. And I have no clue what I can do for speakers. I was figuring up to $700 on a rcvr, and the rest on speakers. Any recommendations? BTW, I like a sub like most people, but I don't need the windows and walls to shake, LOL.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let's see if I can get you started but it will take more than 1 posting to get to the answer.
I don't even know what 7.2
The 7 is use the 5 of 5.1 with rear channels added. If you go with a dual zone receiver, the amps for the rear channels are then dedicated to zone 2 leaving you with channels for 5 main speakers. There is no such thing as .2. Marketing departments try to say that when a receiver has 2 sub outputs but I can get two sub outputs by adding a $3 "Y" adapter. There is only one LFE (low frequency effects) channel that is recorded. You can send it to 1, 2 or 20 subs and it is still .1.
So that will need at least one, if not 2 speakers for the bedroom.
No need is going with a mono system, get 2 speakers for stereo sound.
I was looking online at the Yamaha RXV 671, I think the model is. I have never heard it or seen it in person.
We all have our favorites here. I like Pioneer receivers. Does that one have the inputs you need now and a few extra for the future? YPAO auto calibration? Anything else you might need?
And I have no clue what I can do for speakers. I was figuring up to $700 on a rcvr, and the rest on speakers.
That leaves you $1300 on a 7 speakers and a sub. What have you auditioned? From your post, I can assume nothing. Get out and listen. There is nothing worse than spending $1300 dollars on speakers and hate how they sound. At least get an idea of what you like.
BTW, I like a sub like most people, but I don't need the windows and walls to shake, LOL.
Then build the walls sturdy and put in quality windows. If you like action movies and want accurate bass then you will get some shaking. You can cut back where you want but you need to decide on your goals. During normal listening, my sub never calls attention to itself because I've spent the time to properly integrate it with the rest of the speakers. Crank up an action movie and you will be in the middle of the explosions when those dual 15" drivers come to life with 2,400 watts behind them. I have a flat response down to 17hz and usable output down to 12hz. If I want to upgrade, I have quad 18's waiting to be installed or a nice 21" sub that I just picked up. Basically, if you get a small sub and push it to the limits, you will get distortion. I went overboard so that my subs aren't stressed in the least bit and there is no distortion to speak of. Your goals may be different.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I also have owned several pieces of Pioneer equipment, but then they had several difficult years and it seemed they almost disappeared. Recently they have reappeared. They always offered excellent value. In the last year i've become a real devotee of Marantz. Since the room is so big, I'd recommend aiming for a receiver with full pre-amp outputs so you can upgrade to external amps later, if you want. That is probably the most overlooked and beneficial upgrade path.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
With a $2000 budget I definently wouldn't spend more than $700 on the receiver with $600 or less even better. Speakers will make the biggest difference in how things sound. Spend more there. I've owned several different receivers over the last few years and they're all pretty good. Each has it's own litle issues and quirks but they can be lived with. The only brand I haven't had yet is un-forunately, Yamaha. I'm not avoiding it, just haven't stumbled accross one yet. I have two modest 5.1 systems and have decided to go with Pioneer Elite in both of them, mostly for continuity, but they're nice performers as well. But if you look at Pioneer, stick with the 1121 or higher and the Elite 52 or higher. They have better amp sections. With Yamaha I'd also stick to the Aventage series RX-A810 or higher for the same reason. Others to consider are the Onkyo 709, Denon 2112/2312, Harman Kardon 2650 (If you can live without 3D then BHPhotovideo.com has last years 2600 for $389 shipped and the 3600 for $577 shipped) http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?atclk=Brand_Harman+Kardon&ci=16259&N=4289257190+4291420938 and the Marantz 5005 from ac4l.com for $469 shipped. http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5005A/MARANTZ-SR5005-100w-X-7ch-3-D-Home-Theater-Surround-Receiver/1.html Before buying a receiver on-line check the brands website to make sure the seller is an authorized dealer to protect the warranty. You might also want to see where the nearest Service Center is in case it does need warranty repairs. Another thing to do is walk into your local retailer and ask if they have any open box or display models. They will probably be last years models but will come at a severe discount and have a full factory warranty. I just picked up a Pioneer Elite SC-35 from BestBuys Magnolia section for $649 (MSRP $1800). It was good as new and came with all the accessories. All the receivers I mentioned have the Pre-Outs John Rice mentioned if you feel you do need more power. For the subwoofer, BIC's F-12 and V-1220 get a lot of recommendations. SVS, Elemental Designs and Lave are a better choice but if you don't want to shake the walls then go a little less on the sub and more on the speakers. As Robert said (as have the rest of us at one time or another) you can't recommend speakers in your budget by price. You have to listen to them. But internet-direct companies will usually offer the best value and a better product. These include SVS, Axiom, Ascend Acoustics and AperionAudio.com (who will pay the return shipping if you decide you don't like them) and a few others. Models you're likely to find in the store include Klipsch (bright), Polk (kind of bright), Boston (neutral?), Energy, Infinity and KEF which are all a bit on the soft and warm side. These are all my own opinion of course. For movies and tv I prefer a slightly brighter sound but for music a warm and fuzzy sound. A Harmony remote, good surge protector and good quality ( but not expensive) cables and wires (MonoPrice.com / PartsExpress.com) should also be considered.

PapaDeuce

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
Hey all. Thanks for the responses. It is true that I have not heard the Yamaha rcvr, because only one place near me carries it. I went to hear it and they said their whole wall of rcvrs was being re-wired and the Yamaha was not hooked up. That said, I have had 2 Yamaha's before ( still using one ) and have liked them a lot. The 671 has all the features I had hoped for.... dual zone, satellite radio, and all the inputs and outputs I would ever need. The 671 is $550. As far as the subwoofers - and I laughed when I saw put in better windows and walls - well, my wife is very sensitive to low frequencies. She feels them to the point that it hurts her. I am the opposite; really high frequencies hurt my ears even when not at high volumes. So, one small sub will do. This room sits directly over our bedroom so it will never be loud after 10 PM - my wife's bed time. As I said, the room won't be built until January as our contractor is booked solid until then, so I have time to do research. I am not an audiophile, but have never heard a HITB that I liked much, though I am sure my family would be fine with one. I can live w/o 3D as I have no idea what that is in audio anyway. I have a 3D TV that nobody cares about regarding video. I set it up, and it has NEVER been watched in 3D. I have Velodynes in my family room, and I like those a lot, but the only place I knew that sold them locally no longer carries them. Thanks, again. Oh, and I liked the 671 because it was network ready. http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V671BL-AV-Receiver/dp/B004QR56SE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1318642291&sr=1-1

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you are sensitive to "crisp" highs, stay away from Klipsch. Look for speakers with soft dome tweeters. If you don't need super deep lows, look at one of these: http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_138&products_id=892 http://www.lavasubs.com/8_inch/powered_home_subwoofer.html

PapaDeuce

Auditioning
Real Name
Chuck
Just thought I would follow up... I bought a Yamaha RX-V671 from newegg TODAY... because TODAY, they are selling it for $210 off ( $339.99 ) if you use the code: EMCYTZT880 Now I just have to decide on speakers... and have the room built, :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks