1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

$2000 - $2500 for front/center/rears...what to get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael John R, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Michael John R

If that is my budget, what are the favored brands around here.

I am looking for the best I can get for that money. They will be used in the ballpark of 70% video playback (DVD) / 30% music (CD).

I am currently using a Yahama RXV595 reciever and have a Klipsch KSW12 I am happy with.

2. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Michael,
    I'm sure you'll get a lot of reponses [​IMG] I just upgraded my speaker set up to a pair of LSi15's, LSiC, and a pair of LSiFX all made by Polk. I paid ~$2500 for all that. You may want to look at Paradiagm and I'm sure ppl will suggest Diva's by swan but you'd have to find someone how owns them to listen to them. You might be able to get a good M&K system for that kind of cash too. Get a list of what fits your price range (which this thread should supply) and listen to them all and see what you like best.
    Also, do you need/want a subwoffer? If don't have one you might want to consider one [​IMG] If you get floorstanding speakers (like the LSi15s) it lessens the need for a sub, but IMO their quite nice to have. Again the overwhelming popular sub here at HTF is SV Subs, and I doubt you could do better for the money. However you are looking at several hundred dollars for the subwoffer and you're working on a budget.
    I'm sure whatever you get you'll enjoy!
    Brian

3. Michael John R

Actually, I was reading up on the SVS. I like the looks of the 20-31 powered model and will most likely upgrade the sub after I am set on the speakers.

I am figuring speakers at $2500.00 though PLUS the sub not including the sub.

I am hoping to get a lot of opinions here to point me int he right direction.

4. Brian Kleinke

Brian Kleinke Supporting Actor

Nifty, The SVS PC20-39 sub is what I have, and I don't plan on upgrading it for a while... I suppose it all depends upon what size room you have, as to if you need more bass. (Or you're just a crazy bass-head who likes to annoy anyone within 5 miles [​IMG] )
    Brian

5. Rob Higgins

Rob Higgins Agent

Michael-
    I guess I will give my opinion and be one of many to suggest the Swan Divas. If not familar with the Divas, check out AV123.com for more info. They are available only direct from AV123.com (much like SVS is available only direct) and offer what many believe to be one of the best cost/performance packages out there.
    I recently upgraded my Klipsch Reference system with the Diva 4.1's and C3 center channel. AV123 is running incredible deals on entire packages (front, center, rear) of Diva speakers, and will also work with you to customize a package if you desire.
    Can also head over to AVSforum.com to look for many Diva owners. This site is pretty much the SVS hangout, AVSforum the Diva hangout.
    Here are some helpful sites on the Divas...
    1. AV123 - www.av123.com
    2. Link to Diva package deals (link is also on top of AV123 site) - http://www.av123.com/popup.html
    3. Diva Unoffical FAQ's - http://www.audioenvy.com/diva/
    4. Site to find Diva and SVS owners so can audition - http://www.audioenvy.com/
    I also had a 20-39CS SVS sub. Sold it and will receive my 25-31 PCi any day.
    Good luck,
    Rob

6. Doug Drake

Doug Drake Stunt Coordinator

Give a listen to the Klipsch Reference series. Probaby the RF-3/RC-3/RS-3 will give the best bang for the buck. The RF-5 is nice, but most people can't justify the increase in price for the performance gain. If you shop judiciously, you MIGHT even be able to swing the Rx-7 setup, but it'll be tight (maybe even over the budget).

Doug

7. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I'm with Doug. I have the Klipsch Reference series speakers with a KSW-10 sub, and a Shiva Sub (almost done being built) and am very happy with their sound, VERY HAPPY. The RF-3's with a RC-3 Center, and either the RS surrounds or either the RB-3 or 5's for rears. Either way you can't go wrong with the Reference series IMHO.

8. matthew_rm

matthew_rm Second Unit

Klipsch R.Seris is VERY good. The RF3 is a great speaker. I think swans are ulgy. Anyways, the only thing I would buy online without a demo would be SVS or outlaw. Im sure diva's are a good value, but the klipsch R is to! (even at retail price[​IMG] Damn you London Drugs!!!!)

9. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    You can find a veritable plethora of speakers in that price range. The following would be my suggestion (hey it is what I have and I really like the speakers):

Paradigm Reference Series (retail price):

Mains: 60's - $1600 (Real Wood Sides)

Center: CC - $500

Surrounds: ADP's - $900 (if Dipole desired)

Surrounds: 20's - $900 (Real Wood Sides - if monopoles desired)

Total Retail: $3000

You should be able to get these for around 80% of retail (at least I was able to do this) or $2400, plus tax.

Go to the veneer wrapped speakers and save even more - or take a weekend drive to Canada to buy the speakers and save alot of $$$.

Mike

10. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

If you like soft dome tweeter sound, diffenatly look at the Divas, they seem to be an incredible value. I prefer the sound of the metal domes that B&W use. Mentioning that, I will give my preferance

look at

B&W CM4-mains (about $1500)

CM center (about $550)

601 rears (about $450)

I don't remember the exact prices

other good options for the $$

Deftech

Paradigm

11. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Michael,

I'll side with Rob and suggest the Diva's as well, though for that amount of cash I'd do the 6.1/C3/R3 package.

+ A heck of a value

+ they sound great

+ they look great.

- you can't as easily demo (maybe you can get some help here from a Diva owner)

12. Michael John R

13. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Mike,

The 6.1 in the Diva line is the only unshielded one. However it has never been a problem with RPTV's. I have tried mine right up next to my Mits and there is no distortion. If you have an older direct view TV, they will need to be at least a foot away.

14. Bob_L

Bob_L Supporting Actor

Bob Lindstrom
    Onecall.com still has the NHT 2.5i and 1.5 on clearance at prices that should allow you to put a very nice surround sound system together for well within your price range.

These are what I use, with an SVS 20-39, and I'm very happy with them for both music and movies.

15. Heath_R

Heath_R Stunt Coordinator

Take a look at axiom ( www.axiomaudio.com ). You can get better prices from audioshop ( www.audioshop.on.ca ).
    M60Ti 1230.00 CDN Front
    VP150 540.00 CDN Center
    M3Ti 430.00 CDN Surrounds
    Total 2200.00 CDN = 1403.43 USD Not bad.
    That price includes shipping.
    That leaves us a 1000.00 USD to go ahead and get a SVS sub.

16. Greg Br

Greg Br Second Unit

I would think AV123 could do a 6.1 package and the new HSU VTF-3 sub for not much more than $2500 and you are talking about a system which would be the envy of many who have spent much more.

17. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Michael,

Brian beat me to the punch. The LSi line by Polk is a very great sounding speaker for the price range. It's being heralded by a lot of professional reviewers and consumers alike.

Brian, myself and Alex F. can all attest the blissful sound of these speakers. I got my package within the price range you mentioned.

An SVS to top things off would be exceptional.

Troy

18. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I'll throw in my two cents.

2 pairs Kef Q5

1 Q9c center

or

Kef Q7 fronts

Q1 surrounds (here is a link to a review)

Q9c center

Hope this helps.

19. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

Yipee, I get the first mention for Def Tech! For $2500, you could get a damned nice Def Tech package, including the BP-2006TL mains, CLR-2500 center and BP2X surrounds, and still have enough left over to put a serious dent in a new SVS sub. Or, you could upgrade the mains to the BP-2004TL. The 2006's are bipolar mains, and each tower has an 8" sub with a 250W amp. And the CLR-2500 also has the same sub/amp set-up. That's right, a powered sub in the center channel. Wonderful sound for movies and (to my taste) darned nice for music as well.

20. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

A friend of mine claims he just got a VMPS Ribbon system for not much more than that.
    Front L&R = RM1
    Center = QSO 626R
    Rear L&R = RM1
    http://www.vmpsaudio.com/rmonpic.htm
    This is almost a $4000 system!
    I'd look into that if I wanted the BEST for my money.
    JAC