$200 for DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Radford, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

I recently was asked what DVD player to get for ~$200. I have no idea. I suppose they're all pretty good.
    Any standouts in that price range you folks would recommend?
    No special needs (such as progressive scan) that I'm aware of.
    ------------------
    --RR

2. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

Being the happy owner of a Panasonic A120 for the last two years, I would seriously consider the Panasonic RV31 at that price point if I were in the market today for a new player.
    ------------------

3. steve_jk

steve_jk Agent

Pioneer DV33 is also an excellent choice in the $200 price range. I think they have been replacee by the DV34 model but it should still be around $200

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Pioneer DV-C503. All the "normal" features of a Pioneer, plus 5 disc capacity as well.
    Shop around and you should be able to snag one for less than $200.

5. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the input.
    ------------------
    --RR

6. Jin E

Jin E Second Unit

The Pioneer DV440 looks pretty sweet. It just came out so there is not much feedback on this unit yet. Maybe you can get one, post a review so that KeithH and WillP will stop bumping that thread [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Jin
    My Theater

7. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

JVCs can found for $179 while their progressive scan DVD player can be found for as low as $229 (SEARS, Circuit City). If one is into watching VCDs burned on CD-Rs (known as XVCDs), I would not recommend the Panasonic because this is not an area that is performs well in (otherwise, it's a decent player). Sanyos can found at Wal-Mart for $139 which is a solid player with excellent DVD playback performance. Another player to consider is the Apex AD-500W for $98(you can change the drive out with a PC DVDROM if the drive ever goes bad which is an awesome feature sorely missing in all the other DVD players); I know because I have tested one with a cheap IDE Hi-Val drive.