What's new

200 bucks game...will you get it? (1 Viewer)

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I remember several years ago I bought a game and installed it on my work machine because it was the only one powerfull enough to run it.
"It'll never sell"
"That takes up too much space. Why would anyone buy it?"
"The hardware requirements are too much for a game"
(comments from my co-workers)
The game was Wing Commander for the PC and it required a whopping 7 megs of hard drive space, expanded memory and a expanded-memory manager. Needless to say, most of my co-workers were proved wrong.
While $200 for the game and custom controller are outside my budget for the moment, I'm not going to say it wont usher in a new era of games, perhaps each with a custom controller. Or perhaps some giant software/hardware company might make some universal controller to change things from being "games" to being "simulations". Too bad there is no such upstart company... :)

Daren Welsh

Supporting Actor
That site has hardly any info on the actual game and controller. Screenies are nice, but come on ... do we even know if the controller has force-feedback? Also ... the cockpit display looks like it has a LOT of static images. While I try to vary what's on my screen throughout the day, this seems like a bad thing for RPTVs.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
the cockpit display looks like it has a LOT of static images. While I try to vary what's on my screen throughout the day, this seems like a bad thing for RPTVs.
The cockpit display is constantly moving up and down as your VT walks through the environments. Not too mention that the displays change frequently to update ammo amount, armor strength so forth so on. I see absolutely nothing on the screen that would make this game anymore harmful to your RPTV than any other recently released game.
You may want to download a movie or two to get an idea of what the game is about....

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Thats interesting that the controller doesn't have force feedback...just about everything these days has some type of 'rumble'

The game was Wing Commander for the PC and it required a whopping 7 megs of hard drive space, expanded memory and a expanded-memory manager. Needless to say, most of my co-workers were proved wrong.
Wing Commander didn't cost as much as your PC to play it. You must have had some wierd co-workers. When Wing Commander came out everyone I knew was psyched to get it and already had the hardware to run it.

DwightK

Second Unit
Wing Commander cost me close to or over 200 dollars to play. 30 -40 for the game, 100 for a joystick, 80 more for the full HOTA setup, new video card for unknown amounts. For some reason everyone seems to forget the cost of omputer hardware associated with gameing let alone the cost of the early 3D video cards. Two Voodoo 2's anyone???

My GT3 was well over $200 as well. $50 for GT3, $100 for Logitec FF wheel, $200 for the PS2. And yes, the sole reason I have a PS2 is for GT3.

How about the cost for DDR people? They spend WAY over 200.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Microsoft is not allowing anyone to make force feedback controllers right now. This is what Logitech told me when I asked them about a force feedback wheel for the Xbox. Why, I dunno...

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I say if you enjoy it and can afford it, go for it! Hell, I bought the 'Cube mainly for the RESIDENT EVIL series. Just like getting my HDTV to mainly enjoy my DVDs that much more (although we did pick up the Mits at a killer price!:D) since my damn HD receiver died a premature death!

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
If we're including the price of the console that means this game goes from being $200 to being somewhere around $400. Damn that's a lot of money for a game but if you've got it then go for it. Not my thing and it seems waaay too realistic like those flight sims I keep crashing because I don't have the patience to know yaw from my left buttcheek. For people who love this super realistic stuff though this game must be a wet dream and a bargain at just $200.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
$100 for Logitec FF wheel
how do you like this wheel for gt3? i'm looking for a wheel for it, but i want something realistic of course. the sole reason i bought ps2 was grand theft auto 3, but as soon as i got gran turismo 3, i never played anything else. i became addicted. anyway, what do you think of the wheel vs the joypad?

CJ

DwightK

Second Unit
I have the Logitec FF wheel for the PC (usb) and it works flawlessly for both GT3 and WRC (rally game). The PC wheel works for either the PS2 or the PC, so play GT3 in the den and then go to the comp room, plug it in there and play NFS. Works great.

The wheel is the only way I will drive GT3. Period. It gives a great sense of when you are losing traction, when you are off the edge of the road, etc. Much greater feel (range) for throttle and braking as well. easy to feather the brakes. It has one weakness though in that one or 2 of the individual tests for S must be done with the normal controller as you cant react instantly with the whell for the same reason it has great feel as noted above.

the reason I cannot get into rallysport yet is because I am wheel spoiled.

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
the reason I cannot get into rallysport yet is because I am wheel spoiled.
Just wondering if anyone has tried the ps2 to xbox controller adapters, specifically with any of the wheel controllers, i'd love to have a wheel for rallisport.

More on topic, has the xbox live expansion for steel battalion been officially confirmed anywhere? I'm really looking forward to this, but it'll be even sweeter to be able to rumble with some other HTF'ers.

BTW, my friends all think I'm nuts for getting this, but they all want to see it and give it a go.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
in that one or 2 of the individual tests for S must be done with the normal controller as you cant react instantly with the whell
not a problem, i already have all my licenses. i'm thinking of picking this up now, i certainly play it enough to warrant it. thanks for the info

CJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks