20 in. flat screen or 27-in. tube tv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Damien, Apr 14, 2002.

1. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

pretty soon i will be upgrading my panasonic 20 in. w/no s video or component to either:

-A 20 in. flat screen

-A 27 in. tube.(Nothing above 27, it's either a flat 20 or a tube 27) for $300-400

it would be used for a bedroom.

I like the picture on my panasonic, so i don't think a tube would be too bad really. Plus it would make a big difference having a 27 vs. a 20 in terms of having a bigger screen. The 27's have 1 component and 1 s-video input. Sound i would run through my almost done ht system. Now for 20 in. flat screens, it seems like they all either:

push reds

have geometry problems

have design problems

This has me leaning towards a 27, because they have none of these problems, and will cost me the same as a smaller, flawed unit.

opinons

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

For me, this is easy and I see it the same way as you. 20 inches is simply too small. You should avoid RCA and GE as they have fallen on hard times and are making mostly a lot of unreliable sets. They also use some of the most curved tubes around. A 27 inch Toshiba is a good choice.

Artie

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Take a look at the Flat Tube 27 inch Samsung. It can be had for around the $400 mark. Sam's club also has the Samsung set sold under the "AKAI" brand name which can be had for around $380 Either set will also do the "Squeeze Trick" for DVD's by just pushing a button on the remote control or using the tv's regular menu system. You do not have to enter the service menu to do the "Squeeze" Do a search on them on this forum because there was a lot of info posted about these sets.

The SAMSUNG set is black with a 1 year warranty

The AKAI set is sliver with a 90 day warranty.

4. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

Damien - To 2nd Bills suggestion, the Samsung (TXL2791F)seems like a solid choice. I bought one 2 weeks ago for my bedroom and like it alot. Best Buy (if you have access) has it on sale (yesterday + I think through this week) for $403. Bill where on the remote do you get the squeeze? So far, Ive seen little or no geometry issues, and after using video essentials + my own eyes, for the price, this iset is solid!

5. Tony Meconiates

Tony Meconiates Stunt Coordinator

there is also the 24 inch option as well... Toshiba, JVC, Panasonic and Sony all make flat 24's... with Toshiba being the greatest value of the bunch IMO

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

David, I don't own a Samsung set so I really can't tell you which button on the remote to push but I read it on different sites & at Audio Review. Try doing a search on it here or over at www.hometheaterspot.com. Also try a new post of your own because there was a lot of info on the 27 inch Flat Tube Samsung's by other owner's like how to turn off the SVM in the service menu & etc. From what I've read on the set it can't be beat for the money & the geomerty is a lot better than the othe flat tube sets that are out there especially compared to the Sony's.

7. Ben Scott

Ben Scott Auditioning

I recommend a 27 inch JVC. You can get beautiful picture off of them for under 400 bucks.

8. Brian Glaeske

Brian Glaeske Stunt Coordinator

Just got the Samsung TLS2090, or the little 20" brother to the 27" mentioned above.

I will have to say that the picture is damn good. The squeeze is availible on this model and is found on the remote (it has a dumb zoom function too, which stretches it vertically).

Brian G.

9. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

David,

You can do the squeeze in the menu or by pressing the P. Size buttom on the upper left of the remote. It cycles through Normal, Zoom, and Wide.

10. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

i meant a non-flat 27 vs. flat 20, which would be better, since i don't wan't to spend more than $300