What's new

20" Flat Screen Suggestions (1 Viewer)

LewB

Screenwriter
I'm in the market for a new TV to replace the 19" Sony that I have in the bedroom, I think it has high voltage problems and since it's almost 20 years old, I think it's time to retire it.
I have a CC and BB in the area and have been looking at the 20" flat screen offerings. Sony has a nice model in the $350 price range (forgive me, I don't have model numbers handy), CC also has a JVC that is in the $300 range. BB has the Sony at the same price, as well as an Advent that looks pretty good and is cheaper yet. I did some research and it seems that Advent and Recoton are the same company !?
I've had good luck with Sony products in the past, but was curious if anyone had opinions on JVC and Advent TV's ?
As always, TIA for all input :)

Aaron Cohen

Second Unit
DO NOT GET THE ADVENT.

My friend returned the Advent television twice before eventually going with the Sony one you speak of.

With several dvd's and all games there was a black sliver going down the upper right side of the screen that was very annoying.

He returned the television as we thought it was defective and picked up the same model Advent tv again and found the same problem.

He tried using the dvd player's component cables instead of composite as the Advent television has a component input and found the same problem but now not only was there a sliver on the upper right but one in the upper left as well.

After that, he just decided that it wasn't worth the trouble and spent the extra hundred or so for the Sony model and is happy.

I'm not saying that all Advent televisions will do this but as this was my first experience with seeing anything Advent (television-related at least) I was not impressed.

The picture quality was fine though other from part of it being missing...

If you're feeling lucky, get the Advent. If it works perfectly for you then great, you've saved about a hundred dollars. However, he went through two models that had similar problems. I would recommend the Sony model but I have not heard anything about the JVC.

And as for pure aesthetics, I think the Sony model looks the best.

Hope some of that information helped.

Brice

Stunt Coordinator
i got the samsung 20" model. it's got component video, s-video, and 16X9 squeeze. I got mine as a display model and it cost me less than $250. the picture is fantastic, and i havn't had any problems with it yet. it's highly recommended...-brice

Phil Rose

Agent
I recently picked up a Sony KV24FV300 Wega for the bedroom to replace a 19" Zenith.

The Sony is a very nice set however, lacks a few little features. One that I miss is the auto tracking color for broadcasts. It seems that there is quite a bit of variability among broadcasters out there. The picture is first rate and DVD's look really good on it.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I recently purchased a Toshiba 20AF42 at BB. The Sony was $20 more. I thought the Toshiba had more connections and features then the Sony and the picture was just as good.
I own a Sony 24" and 36" XBR and they are both great sets. The Toshiba is a welcome addition.
Here is a link from Amazon. Everyone has an opinion of course.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...920379-4621623

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
I've never owned the 20" Samsung, but have owned a 27" and was very happy with it. Great build quality and problem free. Although I sold it to a friend, I was a happy guy with that set. Samsung makes good stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks