20 amp circut???????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Frank joe, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

i am told i should run a deicated 20 amp circut for my home theater. i am usuing one 20 amp for my amplifer (ati 250 watt by 5). and the other 20 amp for the rest of my gear.
    my question is can i plug my 18" velodyne into one of them?????????? i dont have to run a 3rd 20amp line do i????
    from what i can ready about the amplifer is that is needs its own deicated circut, or mabey i am reading it wrong and i can run other gear on that line along with it? do i really need more that 2 20 amp circuts to run all my gear????? help frankie

2. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

the best way to know for sure is if you turn everything on, adjust the volume, then go down to the breaker panel, find the hot wire to each outlet, and measure the current with a clamp on meter. ebay has some good deals on these, I use amprobe but fluke is just as good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=25411

3. Scott Sabin

Scott Sabin Stunt Coordinator

This is probably better posted in the HT construction forum, but I'll give you my 2cents on the subject.

What you need to do is look at each piece of equipment's back panel and write down it's nameplate rating (in Amps). You might find that your 250W x 5 amp is a "quasi rating" if your total nameplate rating on that amp is less than 10.4 amps at 120V.

At any rate, you are not at risk of any fire hazard if you load up to 20A total on any 20A circuit. However, to avoid IR drop in your feeder lines, you might want to restrict your "designed load" on a circuit to about 50% of its rated capacity, or to up the wire size to 10 ga on your 12A circuit (and load it higher, to say 15 or 16A).

Besides your amp, your other gear most likely draw very little power. You could probably get away with a single for 20A circuit, but using 2 is a conservative way to go. Without knowing how much your Velodyne consumes, I would still guess you could put your amp on one circuit, and everything else on another. 2 (20A) circuits is adequate for 95%+ of us.

4. DannyL

DannyL Stunt Coordinator

you may want to try using the kill-a-watt product. although it is rated only for 15 amps you can test each of your amps, sub, tv, etc. and measure how much power each is using and then determine overall how much you need.

5. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

In one of the Tweeter store HT rooms they had a top of the like Monster conditioner that shows the instantaneous current draw and voltage readings. Everything was plugged on to that one power conditioner. One B&K ref 7250 (18 amp max draw) and one ref 2220 (7 amp max draw), two REL Strata subs (must be atleast 7-8 amps max draw total on both). An RPTV, Ref 30, and sources etc. I figured the max current rating of the whole system must have been over 35 amps. I put on a movie and turned up the volume really loud (a level most of us wouldn't watch at) and watched the max current draw on the MPC. You'd be surprised to know that the max current draw never exceeded 11-12 amps. So I think 2, 20 amp circuits are already an overkill and you certainly don't need an additional 20 amp circuit. Just plug your sub in the 15 amp line or one of the 20 amp lines and forget about it. You are never going to draw those kinds of current through your lines without having blood rolling down your ears.

6. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

My questions:
    How do I figure if I have a 20 amp line or 15 amp..
    My plans were to:
    put 250x5, 2x250 amps & pre/pro on one 15A circuit (I think I have 15, dont know how to check)
    and put SVS pb2-plus subwoofer, 40 inch TV, DVD player, cable box, DirecTV HD box on the other..

7. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

You will never pull anywhere near 15 amps on a circuit. I never understood this obsession with dedicated 20amp lines. Just because your equipment is rated to do that doesn't mean you will ever get near it. I've seen a full surround theater blasting on mcintosh amps pulling max 7amps.

8. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I dont understand the obsession with multiple 20 amp circuits either.

9. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

ok wher do i get a kill-a-watt product to meaasure it?
    also i am just going with what i read here about haveing a deicated circut to avoid interference. also the amp company strongley suggets 20 amp circut the different plug end you can't use a 15 amp circut. the outlet that my 18'' velo is pluged into now i want to change so its not used for my sub anymore. for sonme strange reason if i leave the sub in auto on feature and i put a floresent light on in a room donwn the hall my sub turns on. ( must be on same circut i guess). so i just leave sub in off position. i feel more confortable with seperate outlets. and i do own a monster hts 5000 line conditioner surge protector. all my equipment except for the sub is plugged into it.
    my equipment list 1. pioneer elite 39tx
    2. pioneer elite am10 amp 100x100 (surround7.1)
    3 nht evolution speaker system with a1 amp 250 watt monoblock,for evolution subs, x 1 crossover.and nht sb1's for 7.1 rears
    4. monster hts power line conditioner
    5. velodyne fr-1800 (18" sub 250watt rms 750 watt peak power)
    6 mitsubishi 60 rptv
    7 toshiba dvd player ( soon to be replaced with the pioneer elite ).
    8. sony slv676 vcr.( yes just because i cant part with it. lol
    9 monster and street wires .

(

10. Scotty Parish

Arthur,

11. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

thanks, Scott..

12. Robert Posey

Robert Posey Agent

Watts divided by volts = amps. So if you had an amp that was 200 x 5 (1000 watt) divided by 115 volts thats 8.7 amps max. You could plug 2 of these in the typical 20 amp circuit and have room to spare.

13. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

My advice which has been stated earlier, run a load test on the circuit and measure the voltage draw with everything cranked at or above reference level. I did that and realized I drew only 9.5 amps max. My system:

Aragon 8008BB- 2 ch amp (200 wt per channel)
    Aragon 8008 X 3- 3 ch amp (200 wt X 3 channel)
    Classe SSP-25 pre/pro
    Toshiba SD-5109 DVD player
    Toshiba TW40X81 RPTV
    Rel Storm III sub
    SVS 20-39 PC Sub
    B&W N804 speakers, HTM-2 center, 602S2 surrounds.

The system drew 7.5 amps at idle, 9.5 cranked. The Aragon amps run Class A power up to 25 watts, hence the large power draw at idle. YMMV. [​IMG]

14. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Exactly, a 15amp circuit is more than plenty. My Moon I-5 is rated at 9amps continuous and 16max. Will it ever get anywhere near that. No way, and that is only 2 channel! Imagine if I had 3 of those, with everyone elses recommendations I'd need a 48amp circuit just to be safe!. You see my point here. Relax, a normal dedicated 15amp line is plenty. The only reason you really need it dedicated is to have some headroom and cut the noise from other things that would have been using it.

15. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

At a point in time I will add a couple of dedicated lines for my setup just so I know nothing else in the house is on the same circuit. But for now I have:

Panny 47(16:9)
    Yamaha RX-V1400
    Rotel RMB-1095
    Panny RP82
    Paradigm PW-2100
    All running of the same line without any tripping problems.

Kevin

16. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Just plug it in,if you have 15/20 amps x 2 you got all you need unless you hook up a welder.This is based on 12ga wire in a good solid main box.

17. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

Scotty, your answer wasn't complete. A 20 amp circuit must have, at a minimum, 12 ga. Romex or MC cable AND 20 amp-rated outlets. You can tell if an outlet is rated for 20 amps or not by the horizontal slot crossing one of the ungrounded slots. Of course, this is still limited by the rating of the breaker, so I'm assuming a 20 amp breaker.

But...if you were to use standard 15 amp rated outlets in a 20 amp circuit, you'll be breaking code.

18. JimmyK

JimmyK Second Unit

Jim

19. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I've done the same test and only maxed at about 8.5 amps.

20. John S

John S Producer

I would never worry about it unless I was blowing breakers myself, or really felt that I could see lights dim during music and scene high intensity peaks.

I think you got plenty of power for sure.