20 amp circut?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Frank joe, Jul 30, 2003.

1. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

i am told i should run a deicated 20 amp circut for my home theater. i am usuing one 20 amp for my amplifer (ati 250 watt by 5). and the other 20 amp for the rest of my gear.
    my question is can i plug my 18" velodyne into one of them?????????? i dont have to run a 3rd 20amp line do i????
    from what i can ready about the amplifer is that is needs its own deicated circut, or mabey i am reading it wrong and i can run other gear on that line along with it? do i really need more that 2 20 amp circuts to run all my gear????? help frankie

2. GeoffM

GeoffM Agent

I'm no expert but I'm sure 1 20amp ckt is fine for all your gear.

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Sure you can add the sub to either of the lines.

Some people go overboard about this; but since you're running HT gear not arc welding, 2-20 amp lines are plenty

4. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

If you want to be sure, add up all the power requirements listed on the back of your gear and make sure they come to less than 20 amps per circuit. (I'm sure they will). That will give you tons of safety margin too, becuase the listings are for maximum power, not average. If they list watts instead of amps, divide by 110 to get amps.

A 20 amp dedicated circuit for one sub? In concert audio maybe, no way in any normal home theater.

5. Frank joe

Frank joe Stunt Coordinator

no the 20 amp circut is for my amp. ati 2505 250 watts by 5 channles . they call for a 20 amp deicated circut , unless i am reading the instructions wrong???????? also 106 pounds

6. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

It looks like that amp takes a maximum of 16 amps, and that's why they want a 20 amp circuit, as a 15 might get rather warm. (But would probably not blow a breaker. It probably only takes the full load right at power up, and only for a second). I would put the sub on the other circuit, to try and balance the load. I can't find specs for your sub on the velodyne website, so I'm not sure how much power it would take, but even say at 10 amps, you would still have 10 amps for all of the electronics, which is plenty for a pre/pro disk players, a TV, and so forth. All of the gear should have ratings on it, so you can tell for sure if your concerned.

7. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

But if you're going to run another line anyway, run at least the wire for a third. It would cost pennies more for the wire....

I wish I did....With high power amps abounding, it can't hurt. I also like to have my RPTV on a different circuit than heavy loads and/or wall warts that power the accessories you wind up having.

Pete