What's new

20-39CS+ Port Plug ? (1 Viewer)

MikeHalder

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering if there are any comments or recommendations on using the port plug in their SVS's. The biggest difference for me was a 4dB decrease around 20HZ.
Link Removed
blue= plug in
purple= no plug
Is there enough material out there to justify the 16-20HZ gain the plug provides or would I be better served leaving the plug out of the picture? I would be interested on hearing your thoughts/experiences with using the plug.
Mike
FYI, my setup uses dual 20-39CS+/Samson 1000 & two SPL-1200's for subs.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Very interesting...
The response actually looks a little flatter with the plug in. I think that various waterfall charts and measurments have shown that there is a LOT of deep stuff (

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Sean,

Do you have any URLs for those waterfall charts? I'd love to have a look at the composition of some of these soundtracks.

Thanks,

Mal

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Hey Mal, no problem. Hee is a link to an area on the SVS site which contains /more/ links to lots and lots of waterfall charts:
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#moviedemos
Most of these have been posted for quite some time, and there are newer ones that SVS Tom has been floating around on a few threads here.
Nearly every DVD on that list has bass dipping below 20Hz.
In some titles,

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I keep wanting to try the port plug on my 20-39CS+, but like an idiot, I have yet to figure out how in the hell you get that grill off. I guess that's a testament to the construction of the subwoofer, but I'm afraid to mess something up! Can anyone give me some idea what to do?

Harold Leroy

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I have two 20-39+'s too. I put the port plug in one of the subs and left the other open. I have a nice flat response down to 16hz.

Best regards,

Harold

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, they just pop off, but they fit kind of tight. You may need to use a small screwdriver or knife to carefully slip down in between the grill and the tube.

SHAWN SZILEZY

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
I put the port plug in my 20-39CS+'s on the second demo I ever played and it has not moved since. I love the low, clean bass I get with them in. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Wow... I put the plug in my 20-39CS+ last night, and I think it's gonna' stay. I ran a quick bass sweep for comparison, and it really made the frequency response more consistent across the whole range for me. Watched a couple of movies afterwards and popped in some jazz and bluegrass CD's, and plugging one of the ports really made bass guitars more prominent. Thanks to SVS for giving us the option!

GaryCo

Agent
this is probably a stupid question, after you calibrate the 20-39cs+ and insert the port plug, do you have to re-calibrate. My guess is no, but wanted to ask.

I am awaiting the sub and was just wondering.

Mal P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Sean, much appreciated! That's really useful, especially when trying to explain the benefits of using a sub to produce all the bass, rather than bass-shy speakers.

Cheers,

Mal

MikeHalder

Stunt Coordinator
Well after a demo of some good bass DVD's (Titan AE, Toy Story 2, PM, JP) I found that the system does sound better with the plugs in. Titan AE nearly removed a picture from the bedroom wall during the ice field scene! :eek: Listening to some jazz on digital cable (DD 2.0) and some Pink Floyd on SACD I found that music seemed to be a little more balanced as well. The 2 SPL1200's do a nice job filling in the 22-50 HZ range, where the port plugs seem to affect the SVS's. The wife and daughter are at a church function tonight, so I am going to piss off the neighbors for a while.:D
Cheers,
Mike

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Keep playing guys, thats what we included the plug for :)
Gary,
Technically you should recalibrate...but chances are you will only have to bump up the sub level a half a dB or so.
TV

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
You're very welcome, Mal.
Tom, since there is no official port plug for 20-39PC or PCi (assuming that the ports and enclosures are the same between the two models) would somehow plugging the port on my 20-39PC give me similar results (flatter response and more punch

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
I wonder if that wouldn't just muddy the whole thing up since the pc,cs and pci models only have the 1 port as opposed to the 3 ports of the + models.

Matt

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Sean, that would effectively give you a sealed enclosure.
This would give you a moderate frequency response rolloff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks